PDA

View Full Version : Laptop theme and screen resolution

Lord Spandex Masher
11th May 2011, 18:02
Evening all,

My girlfriends laptop has, apparently, been playing silly buggers of late.

First the screen resolution, usually set to the highest, keeps resetting itself after powering up to "about half way down the scale". It does this a few times a day.

Secondly, the theme keeps reverting to the Windoze Classic theme and the background picture disappears. This usually happens after an apparent freeze and reboot. Hasn't really been a problem so far as it's simple enough to change it all back again. But this time the option of the Vista theme is missing so she's stuck with an old looking screen!

None of this is a massive problem, more of a pain the derriere.

I can't think why it would do this so I'm throwing it out in to Prune land in the hope that one of you experts might be able to help and to offer a solution.

HP Lappy, Vista, IE8.

Many thanks

Spurlash2
13th May 2011, 19:39
Do this:

Reboot your computer in a Clean Boot state.

It's possible a program or driver is causing this issue. To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to run Windows in Selective Startup (Clean Boot)…

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and then double-click System Configuration.

2. Click Continue, or provide Administrator credentials if prompted.

3. Click the General tab, and click Selective startup.

4. Under Selective startup uncheck Load startup items.

5. Click the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box, and then click Disable all.

6. Click Apply, OK, and then Restart.

Also:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135)

Lord Spandex Masher
14th May 2011, 09:41
Thanks S2, I'll give it a go when I can get my hands on her machine.