PDA

View Full Version : Flight Operations/Flight Operations Engineering Course

flybywire380
11th May 2011, 09:58
Dear All,

I'm looking around for an online/distance learning Flight Operations/Flight Operations Engineering Course, and so far haven't found anything. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated .... Cheers http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

fbw380

desertopsguy
11th May 2011, 13:40
Hi,

Depending on what aircraft type you are operating, have you considered contacting your manufacturer rep?I know that alot of the manufacturers hold these courses on a regular basis and they might have a web based course that you can follow. Boeing have a perf engineer course that is held in Seattle and I've seen the course notes in soft copy, in fact I may actually still have them. If I can dig them out I am happy to send to you.

There are some publications out there that could possibly help you in your quest.
- Optimising Jet Transport Efficiency
- Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators (an inexpensive book and subject matter not as inaccessible as it might sound)
- FAA weight and balance handbook (free to download)
- Aircraft performance: Theory & Practice (a little bit technical)
- FAA Flight Engineer Test Prep (Cheap and interesting book that prepares flight engineers for the written test)

Boeing has a CPAT style introduction to performance that is a great introduction to basic theory. I think it can be downloaded from the torrent sites
The entire JAA ATPL theory text books are also available on the torrent sites and would be a good place to start if you wanted to get back to basics.

Take a look at SmartCockpit - Airline training guides, Aviation, Operations, Safety (http://www.smartcockpit.com) as there are some interesting papers on there. AGIFORS has some good ones too but you will need to register, it's free anyway.

There is an FAA flight dispatcher course done by distance learning at Sheffield School in the USA. It is mostly distance learning actually with a short trip there at the end to carry out some practical work and take some exams/orals.

Have you considered contacting any of the universities that have aviation/aerospace faculties eg Cranfield? They have week long courses performance that also involves some flying on a J-31 to practise data gathering.

And finally, if you are a member of Linked-In you can request to join the group 'Society of Aircraft Performance and Operations Engineers', perhaps you could get in touch with someone there and ask their advice.
Click here...Society of Aircraft Performance and Operations Engineers (http://www.pprune.org/groups?home=&gid=3590768&trk=anet_ug_hm&goback=%2Egdr_1305121478377_1)

Hope that helped.

D.O.G

flybywire380
11th May 2011, 15:48
Hi D.O.G.,

Thanks very much for your very comprehensive reply, much appreciated :ok:.

I am actually joining an engine company on their Graduate engineering program later this year, and am looking ultimately at heading toward the Flight Ops Performance or Flight Test professions, and thought it wise to get a heads-up on this.

I've seen a few of the things you've mentioned; others I haven't, so will take a look at those. If you do have a soft copy of the Boeing Performance course notes, I'd really appreciate it if you could send them my way (I'll PM you my e-mail add. if you do have them).

I've had a look at the short course/CPDA avenue, which on my current budget is a bit of a stretch, as I'd be self-funding; once I start with said engine company, I'll try my best to get them to fund it!

Once again, thanks so much for your info which most certainly is helpful, and if you do have the Boeing notes, that would be great.

Cheers ....... fbw380

flybywire380
15th May 2011, 16:50
Although D.O.G.'s reply is very comprehensive, all other suggestions are welcome :ok:

fbw380