PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Texts

SpringHeeledJack
10th May 2011, 16:33
One for the panel.....In the last while my other half has not received the odd text that i sent, but in the time frame of sending it has received texts that i sent two (2) years before :uhoh: No recording of these texts was made by either party, they are usually boring run of the mill texts, yet here they are again :confused:

We are both with the same mobile network, so i'm wondering if they have been stored on the company's server (naughty, naughty) and are somehow triggered and slip out ? Very strange.......

SHJ

Spurlash2
11th May 2011, 11:32
1. This might be your phone. The database which holds the messages has an index problem which causes old messages to re-appear.

Or...

2. Do you use an SMS programme? that may need an update or bin it/change it.

Or...

3. Delete old messages on a regular basis!

mad_jock
11th May 2011, 12:58
This is from a very dim and distant past of mine where I was on the packet switching side of things.

The simple messaging service records all messages for ever (or it used to). The only difference when a message has been received the message gets flagged as delivered and doesn't get sent again. If the account linked to that number gets a snag in it this can cause the sent flag to be corrupted and things to get sent multiple times. From what I could see the fix was to create a new account and then link it to the number to get rid of the corruption.

Now the problem you will have is that the first line of support will not have a clue what you are on about and trying to get through the first line will not be easy. Second line support will not be allowed or have the access rights to do whats required (and maybe also won't have a clue whats wrong). And the folk you really need to speak to and will have the rights and knowledge to sort it will have way more important things to do with the network and will never speak to customers (which if you ever meet any of them you will understand the reason why).

Proberly easy way to get it fixed would be to wait until your contract is up and transfer both numbers to pay as you go sim cards. Then shop about to decide what you want to go for next, even if its with the same company. Then transfer the numbers back to the new account. Until you break the link between that number and the current account you will proberly continue to get the texts off and on.

To show you how bad it gets I have know a OEM engineer of the telephone exchanges have to do this with his own personal number because of the same issues and even through contacts he couldn't get things sorted because of the access rights to the billing gateway.

SpringHeeledJack
11th May 2011, 13:50
Thanks for the replies gents. The texts have never been kept by myself, i always delete sent texts straight away for space and only keep sentimental/important texts that i've received. This very morning i sent a text (mundane) and it never arrived, but a text that i had sent in December 2009 was received :} Where today's text went is a mystery and where the 2year old text came from likewise :suspect: Both phones are oldskool Nokias, so no huge storage abilities.

SHJ

mad_jock
11th May 2011, 14:45
Its not the phone as such, its the gubbins at your supplier thats knackard.

If your with the company thats a molecule your not the first or the last to have this problem. There isn't anything you can do to sort it apart from going through the process I have described.

SpringHeeledJack
11th May 2011, 16:10
If your with the company thats a molecule your not the first or the last to have this problem. There isn't anything you can do to sort it apart from going through the process I have described.

Bingo :ok: Thanks, but could do without the hassle tbh. Oh well...

SHJ