PDA

View Full Version : Monocular Pilots - Class 1 Medical Australia

petesmith787
10th May 2011, 12:55
Hi All,

I have quite bad sight in my left eye (have had since a very young age) and have always wanted to be a pilot.
I have recently stumbled across "Monocular Pilots" in the CASA DAME Handbook and just want to see if anyone out there in Australia has received a Class 1 Medical for being monocular?
My right eye is better than 20/20, in fact last checked it was 6/5.

This is what the Handbook says but not 100% sure on it's meaning:

2.1.5 Monocular Pilots
Monocular pilots may be divided into two categories:
 The monocular condition—the situation in which an applicant has only one functioning
eye.
 The functionally monocular condition—the situation in which an applicant has two
eyes, but the visual acuity of one cannot be corrected to 6/9 or better.
Provided the visual acuity requirements can be met in the functioning eye, with or without
correction, a waiver is granted for Class 2 certification, limited to Australian Airspace, for
both the monocular condition and for functionally monocular pilots. Likely Conditions on
an applicant’s Medical Certificate are:
 Not valid for mustering or agricultural flying.
 Valid in Australian airspace only.
 Special conditions apply.
Functionally monocular pilots who can meet the visual acuity standard with the remaining
eye may obtain Class 1 certification. These applicants are required to show that flight
safety is not jeopardised by the reduced visual acuity or absence of the other eye. Only
the Aviation Medicine Section can issue this waiver. Likely Conditions on the resulting
Medical Certificates are as set out above for Class 2 Medical Certificates.

From what I understand, a Class 1 is possible however the eye sight situation would be "waived" by the Aviation Medicine Section and possible conditions attached.
Wondering if anyone has experienced this, if they have received a Class 1 in this situation?
Also, what's the cost of a Class 1 nowadays?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Many Thanks in advance!!!

Pete

mnehpets
11th May 2011, 02:57
The question about monocoluarity was recently brought up and answered here:

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/448349-casa-one-eyed-pilots.html

paulryan1990
11th May 2011, 06:48
im in the same boat as you 20/20 in my right eye and funtanally monocular in my left eye. i am currently in the process of trying to get a faa, or jaa medical.

best of luck