PDA

View Full Version : Get well soon Alan!

The Kelpie
9th May 2011, 23:26
[quote]Qantas chief joins the list of survivors

QANTAS chief Alan Joyce describes himself as the luckiest man alive after life-saving surgery 10 days ago for prostate cancer.

"If I had not had it taken out there was an 80 per cent chance I would have been dead with cancer within eight to 10 years," Mr Joyce told the Herald Sun yesterday.

Now back on his feet and out of hospital, he plans to return to work next Monday after being operated on with a robot.

The events of the past two months - beginning with an annual health check, followed by a biopsy and then learning the shock news he had a malignant prostate gland - have made Mr Joyce, 44, a committed advocate for men's health.

He wants Australian men to heed the message that too many are dying because they don't bother to see a doctor.

In an exclusive interview, he said his own experience proved why early detection was so important.

"Prostate cancer kills more than 3000 Australian males a year," he said.

"One of the biggest problems is that only one man in 10 chooses to take the test."

Mr Joyce is young in medical terms to have contracted the disease.

He told how he began having annual checks two years ago after his father was diagnosed with the same condition.

Mr Joyce decided to see a doctor instead of waiting, like most men, until he was in his 50s.

"Because it was in my family and I was in my 40s, I decided that having a prostate check was the right thing to do," he said.

Ten days ago, the high flying boss was wheeled into an operating theatre at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney.

That afternoon a surgeon directing a hi-tech robot guided an electronic scalpel into his torso and removed the gland with the tumour intact.

"The tumour was completely encapsulated in the gland and there was no spread," Mr Joyce said.

"I was told what they found was pretty aggressive and would have spread had they not caught it so early."

Just 24 hours after surgery, he was discharged from hospital with orders to go home and take 10 days' rest.

"The way I see things is that I have been very, very lucky," he said.

[\quote]

Glad you are on the mend Alan!

More to Follow

The Kelpie

Mud Skipper
9th May 2011, 23:43
You are too kind Kelpie,

For all the stress he continues to caused us with destroyed/stunted careers, and broken aspirations. Stress, which is a known cancer trigger, affecting not only employees but partners and children and parents, I could not find it in my heart to wish him all but the most intense and agonizing pain.

With his continued destruction of Qantas we will have problems from depression, associated alcoholism and health problems, anger and family abuse on to suicide and divorce, all which can be attributed to decisions this man and the board take with out any consideration for their community impact.
And that's even before some 200 hr cadet manages to kill a plane load of passengers.

No I can not wish him any good.

ozbiggles
9th May 2011, 23:58
Is this the place we want to go with this really?
Play the ball or it is the PROFESSIONALs in the aviation industry who will lose the PR battle and if you read Joe Blows comments in the papers it isn't a battle we are winning.

Fris B. Fairing
10th May 2011, 00:02
Operated on by a robot?

This guy outsources everything!

Tidbinbilla
10th May 2011, 00:06
Yes, well we can see where this is heading :ugh: