View Full Version : FAA Airline Pilot- Need JAR MCC???

n9537q
9th May 2011, 22:23
Is a certain amount of multi-crew time logged at a Part 121 airline in the USA in an N-reg acceptable in lieu of a JAR MCC course? Or, like many things in JAR that do not transfer over from FAA, do I have to do the course anyway?

I have an FAA ATPL, and a JAR CPL ME IR, 2000 TT, 1600 PIC, but ZERO multi-crew. Next month I start a new job in the US flying a 33,000kg jet as FO, and one year from now I expect to have 900 hours "multi-crew" time logged and a type rating.

If my goal is to come back to Europe eventually, do I need to do the course anyway? Or will airlines/ corporate operators here accept logged multi-crew time and a type rating? If I do need the course anyway, I need to do it now before I start work because I won't have any vacation time later! So if anyone can please help me figure this out in a hurry:\, let me know!! I don't want to waste 3500EU if its not necessary. Thanks.

Chippie Chappie
10th May 2011, 03:11
Will you receive a 61.57 (PIC) or a 61.55 (SIC) type-rating? That could make a significant difference.

n9537q
10th May 2011, 09:49
Hi Chippie Chappie,

It'll be an SIC type. I wouldn't expect to be able to get a PIC type till I upgrade in 5 yrs or so. Please tell me, how does the SIC/PIC affect the MCC time? Thanks.

BillieBob
10th May 2011, 11:37
The answer in the UK (it may be different in other JAA states) is in LASORS 2010:

Requests for MCC credit will be considered from applicants who have logged 500 hours as pilot in multi-pilot public transport operations, even if that flying took place in single-pilot certified aircraft. Where an applicant has accrued such experience exercising the privileges of a non-UK licence, in addition to the actual logbook record of those hours, we will require documentary evidence from both the operator and the national aviation authority concerned confirming that the aircraft was required to be operated exclusively by 2 pilots qualified on type - even on non-revenue and positioning flights. The organisation(s) under whose Air Operator’s Certificate the operations were carried out must be clearly identified. A copy of the non-UK ICAO licence and/or copy of the operator’s manual AOC will also be required.
It doesn't matter whether the experience is as PIC or co-pilot.