PDA

View Full Version : Vapour Trail

glojo
9th May 2011, 12:36
Hi folks,
Last year I saw this vapour trail high above our house in South Devon.

http://glojo.unospace.net/images/Vapour_DSC_1691.jpg

I have NO idea what caused it, hence this post to see if I can get an answer. This image was taken a short time after it appeared and I guess it has got wider over that period of time.

At no time did I hear the noise of the aircraft making it, but that is not unusual and I am only saying to answer any questions regarding noise. The trail also went across a large expanse of sky and obviously this was just a small part of it.

Thanks for all the constructive replies
John

tezzer
9th May 2011, 14:31
"Puff puffpuff puff puff puffpuff".

Translates into "can you tell me where theladies or gentleman's convenience is please"

Copywright Jim Dale, Carry on Cowboy.

glojo
9th May 2011, 14:46
:ok::D Excellent reply...

Too many puffs might spoil the pot! :)

JimmyTAP
9th May 2011, 15:39
Looks like a normal vapour trail in the process of breaking up a few minutes after being formed. Nice patterns though.

glojo
9th May 2011, 16:48
Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for the reply, here in South Devon our skies look like airplanes are trying to play noughts and crosses and scribe out the markings with vapour trails :) (big exaggeration) but I must confess that in all the years I have stared up into the skies I have never seen anything that looks remotely like the image I have posted.

I am certainly not disagreeing with you if you are saying it is 'normal' but I would appreciate it if you could post an image of another of these 'normal' thingies :)

I am not disagreeing with you, I am merely curious and if it is the norm then corroboration will certainly put my mind to rest.

Thanks for the reply
John

Capetonian
9th May 2011, 16:50
The 'chemtrail' lot will say it's a coded mesage telling us the end is nigh.

airsmiles
9th May 2011, 18:39
The 'chemtrail' lot will say it's a coded mesage telling us the end is nigh.

Mmm.. looks like the government have now given instructions to chemtrail pilots to disguise their trails in case people get suspicious.

treadigraph
9th May 2011, 18:54
Ah, sorta doughnuts on a rope - an Aurora! ;)

Seriously, there was another thread on this topic a few months ago and while reading the thread I actually saw a very similar trail to the one you've photographed, heading east between Woodley and Dover - it was a 767 or some other such widebodied twin as I recall.

Juliet Sierra Papa
9th May 2011, 18:56
I have seen this before when I lived in Johannesburg and it was achieved by 5 Harvards flying side by side and using smoke at predetermined times for a split second. End result is basically a dot matrix printer in the sky. I think your pic shows exactly this but it has almost dispersed.....look at the spacings between.
JSP

SpringHeeledJack
9th May 2011, 19:06
Of my many strange quirks, one of them is being fascinated by clouds and vapour trails and the shapes and patterns they make :8 I have several photos (from memory) that are very similar/identical to the one shown in the OP. However, it's the UFO that made them hovering under the 3rd from left that should be causing concern ;)

SHJ

JimmyTAP
9th May 2011, 19:09
One taken over Manchester a few years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/CMVH/DSC_6607.jpg

I didn't photograph the aircraft that made the trail though.

forget
9th May 2011, 19:19
Here -

Crow Instability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow_Instability)

Stu666
9th May 2011, 22:03
Looks like they were caused by a German Mig-29 to me.

:E