PDA

View Full Version : VE Day

Wander00
8th May 2011, 10:30
VE Day today. Lest we forget.

Tankertrashnav
8th May 2011, 12:55
I'm deeply ashamed to admit that I had forgotten, Wander00. Mind you, having quickly scanned through today's Sunday Times I can find no mention of it there either, unless it is hidden away somewhere.

Thanks for the reminder.

Frelon
8th May 2011, 14:23
Here in our village (in France) there was a big ceremony in front of the war memorial this morning. They always remember around here!

Sad to say that I never encountered such ceremonies when in the UK.

WHBM
8th May 2011, 14:50
It's much more of a celebration, still, in Russia, where the anniversary is actually May 9 because the victory must have been signed late on May 8 (maybe at midnight), which was 2 am the following day in Moscow.

On the other hand, the UK puts more effort into November 11 instead. This was the day from WW1. Unlike some other countries (eg Russia) the UK suffered much more in WW1 than WW2. Furthermore, as my mother told me from the time, when my father was in the RAF in Burma, VE day was of only passing (although welcome) consequence to her, the war was not over until September. I don't believe anyone was demobbed between May and September.

Wander00
8th May 2011, 15:13
In our French village too, and big parades in the towns like Fontenay le Comte

pasir
8th May 2011, 15:43
... That MAY DAY May 1st was given greater prominance in the UK -
compared to VE day now apparantly a forgotten memory - is a sad reminder that the British people need have no fear of being ruled by an over zealous patriotic Govt.