PDA

View Full Version : BA 744 over Cambridge

Doors to Automatic
24th Jul 2001, 21:10
I was waiting for a train at Cambridge station yesterday (Monday July 23rd) when, at around 1300, I saw an old liveried BA 747-400 flying in a North-Easterly direction at around 2-3000ft. It seemed a little low to be on a Heathrow or Gatwick SID (don't think any go over that area anyway) and I wasn't sure whether or not it was climbing. Does anyone know what it was doing?

JPJ
24th Jul 2001, 21:16
Marshalls of Cambridge get a lot of their work from BA, much of it, if i am informed correctly, interior fitting out.

Cahlibahn
24th Jul 2001, 21:17
Going to (or departing from) Cambridge. (BA and other) 744s are frequent visitors to Marshalls.

Ennie
24th Jul 2001, 21:34
Went on my I/R to Cambridge and had to go in the hold and round 3 times cos of a 744 going in there, inconsiderate I thought!! :D

gas path
25th Jul 2001, 00:15
Yep!....BA744s go to marshalls to have the cabin upgrades done.

foghorn
25th Jul 2001, 02:43
I used to live near Cambridge Airport and it was always pretty impressive to see the BA 744's on finals, especially on easterly days when they would approach over the Town (the railway station is about 2nm out on the extended centreline of the main runway).

Doors to Automatic
25th Jul 2001, 13:29
Thanks for the info folks - that would seem to make sense. It would have been on a downwind leg for arrival on the South-westerly runway

25F
26th Jul 2001, 04:35
The view from my desk at work includes the south-western end of the approach. Other regular visitors include DC-10s and Hercules. Also a fair amount of GA, bizjets, vintage... quite a nice view really. Apparently it's a bit of a tight squeeze getting the 744s out of there and they close the roads at the perimeter. I've always guessed that they're going to LHR next, but I don't know.

But the *best* was looking out to see the Red Arrows, a few hundred feet up in formation, heading off for Cardiff (due in about twenty minutes) for the rugby World Cup.

SFly
26th Jul 2001, 20:18
Isn't the runway a bit short for DC-10s and 744s to be going in and out? :eek:

Captain Airclues
26th Jul 2001, 23:14
SFly

Runway length isn't a problem, as we are approximately 90 tons below MLW on arrival, and 190 tons below MTOW on departure. After landing we usually make the turn-off to Marshals, which is about halfway down the runway. All flights departing Cambridge go to LHR hence the light weight.
The only problem is the small turning ares at each end of the runway which can cocentrate the mind somewhat. We operate the flights with just the two pilots, and no passengers.

Airclues

PaperTiger
26th Jul 2001, 23:31
Cambridge. Aaah, the nostalgia. The runway has been extended twice since my days as a lad there, each time requiring diverting the Teversham road. Prior to that some of the landings looked a bit hairy - Brits and Viscounts in the mud, and one memorable occasion when a G-2 stuck its nose through the hedge. Also used to be a tall chimney just off the centreline 200yds or so from the threshold.
At school we would look forward to lessons in those classrooms which faced the approach. Watching a loaded DC-6 or DC-7 lumbering (just) over the rooftops was the highlight of the day, and resulted in more than one whack in the back of the head from a master.

OK, back to the present...