PDA

View Full Version : 'Conflict of Wings' airfield filming locations

longer ron
7th May 2011, 09:30
Link to old (closed) thread...

A Conflict of Wings - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Faviation-history-nostalgia%2F233147-conflict-wings.html&ei=HQ_FTZW7KYfJhAebvdH_Aw&usg=AFQjCNEdcZjrCC0nCsNDiFYtVMbp0UuFuQ)

I was under the impression that the main flying sequences were filmed at RAF Leconfield,which at that time (53/54) was the central gunnery school and flew Meteor T7/Vampire T11 amongst others...

Any info from our members ??

BEagle
7th May 2011, 11:46
I found this on 't Interweb 4 years ago, posted by 'flip1408' on the Britmovie website:

Conflict of Wings

I was at RAF Leconfield in the early 50's when the airfield shots were taken. The aircraft used were the Meteor 7 & the Vampire T11 Trainer. I was in one of the T11's as armourer. We did several 'circuits and bumps' with the cameras rolling. I very nearly made a mess all over the cockpit, but did just manage to contain myself. The film team were on site for a few days and we had to carry on working as normal whilst the filming was being done.

I made a very brief appearance as I crossed the set with a bomb trolley train, so still have a copy of the film on VHS.

Flip.

Many of the other shots were taken in Ludham, Wells-next-the-sea and Hickling Broad.

However, I've also seen claims that RAF Langham was the aerodrome used for filming..... There was a CAACU flying Vampire T11s at Langham around that period; however, others claim that it was filmed at RAF West Raynham.

Langham would certainly seem more logical, but perhaps the truth is that several aerodromes were used? The Lincoln seen in one shot would be much more likely to have been seen at Leconfiield though, as CGS used them for air gunner training.

longer ron
7th May 2011, 12:34
Yes I am sure several locations were used but the main airfield shots just do not 'feel' Norfolk and according to my Willis/Hollis book Langham only had T2/Blister hangars,which is enough to take it out of the running for the main flying sequences.

rgds LR

Crumble
10th May 2011, 17:52
A largish chunk of the film was made at Horsham St Faith. We had the dubious honour of performing a wing flypast which was shown as 'The End' came up on the film with the credits. That was on the 29 Sep 1953.
Also, a contemporary flew the Meteor 7 with an actor in the rear seat (not John Gregson) ostensibly to recce the proposed site for an air to ground range - where Perdita the bird the film was all about was said to live. (Probably Hickling Broad)
Upon return to Horsham the Meteor 7 was taxied on to the ASP and the actor was to deliver one line of narrative when the hood was opened. However, he fluffed his line a fair few times and when he finally got it right he fell off the aeroplane.
Another droll happening was the film depicting a complete windscreen and canopy change by one tradesman over the lunchtime period.
I recall that we were not very impressed with the film.

Wander00
10th May 2011, 18:34
Thought CAACU was at Little Snoring. Flew Snoring-Langham in about 1986-7, my only ever Tiger Moth Flight, with Henry Labouchere who restored Tigers and Dragon Rapides at Langam - trip fixed by the lovely Peter Charles

aviate1138
10th May 2011, 19:01
When you flew with Henry from Langham in the Tiger Moth was the tide out? ;)

Splitpin916
12th May 2011, 09:31
245 Squadron was led that day by S/Ldr "Oily" Ford, later killed "on he flag" at the Armament Practice Camp Acklington and F/Lt John Nicholls DFC & USAF DFC later Sir John - Vice Chief of the Air Staff. It was nice to have a fly-past on my birthday! At the briefing we raised the point that we were Meteors and throughout the film Vampires had been involved - the Director shrugged it off as "symbolics", from then on if anyone was obviously flannelling the would be a chorus of symbloics - sym**** etc etc. The Boss highlighted the difficulty of lining up a 12 ship on an isolated house in Norfolk and at the same time flying away into the sunset - The director said in that case he would put a chap on the roof waving a red flag. We gave up and got on with it.

Adrian Czarnecki
8th Oct 2021, 16:02
RAF Horshan St Faith. My father was one of the pilots

Vampiredave
9th Oct 2021, 12:42
I always thought it was the Central Gunnery School at Leconfield - The Vampire 5s are certainly from that unit. I liked the piece in the film about the "Swift from RAF Chivenor"

Adrian Czarnecki
9th Oct 2021, 14:56
My brother who was 8 at the time was able to identify the hangars and control tower areas with all the flowers etc. Well remembers everyone being given passes to the cinema and the people queing up to watch the movie. It was quite a big thing at the time

longer ron
9th Oct 2021, 15:38
Sorry forgot to update this thread gents.
I did do some more research into this and came to the conclusion that most of the main Airfield shots were indeed done at Leconfield - Leconfield had quite a distinctive tower :)

https://i.imgur.com/S4wGPZ5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YZ7kNKR.jpg