PDA

View Full Version : Tubely

OFSO
6th May 2011, 14:36
Seems to be a new Tubely "do you want to be my friend ?" virus/trojan around. If you let it in, it does things with your address book.

Being a miserable old git who never opens any file except my .pdf monthly pension slip, I didn't get infected yesterday when a colleague sent a Tubely to me.

But beware !

mixture
6th May 2011, 15:34
You know, I'm a great believer in prevention is better than cure in many things, and IT is certainly one of them.

Rather than looking out for random warnings such as the one you posted, people should seriously take a little bit of time to understand the impact of what they do with their computers. You don't need to be a "whizz-kid" or know your bits from your bytes, but there are some basics everybody should follow :

- Do not run as Administrator for day-to-day use.
- Do not open unexpected files from people (whether or not you know the sender)
- Keep your computer AND its software up to date on patches
- Run and use a good virus scanner
etc.
etc.
etc.

The fact is, for every Tubley (whatever that is !) exploit you post about, there will be 10 others that you don't know about as well as the many other non-Tubley exploits out there.

OFSO
6th May 2011, 20:47
Mix, I do all of those things; latest patches, firewall, antivirus daily, malwarebites run once a week. Even have a sandbox for some things.

But an awful lot of people don't ! Hence my warning.