PDA

View Full Version : Calling all helicopter pilots

studentpilotmcuk
5th May 2011, 20:38
Hi all, whilst doing my usual tour of youtube I saw this gem.

YouTube - Helicoptero en plataforma Gene Rosser

Just a few questions I would like to have answered.

Do companies have a procedure in place that every pilot flying has to follow?

In your opinion, what could have been improved to ensure a better landing?

Kind Regards to all

Stude :O

ec155mech
5th May 2011, 22:29
well for starters he came in way to fast. and shallow in the approach.

and yes there is procedures for pilots to follow when flying either the HOM ( Helicopter Operational Manual aka FM; flight manual ) or SOP Standard Operation Procedures which is the company's guidelines on how to fly the helicopter on commercial flights. I'm sure I am forgetting something but someone else will remember all of the details im sure :)

Wirbelsturm
6th May 2011, 14:37
That is what I would have described as a nice 'Jacky boy' approach!

Came in too fast thus needed alot of back cyclic in order to arrest both the rate of closure and the descent. There is also the potential to enter 'auto rotation' when decelerating fast from almost level flight which would necessitate controlling Nr during the flare.

The nose is so high that the pilot only has a limited view of the rig through the foot quarter windows, again makes judging the rate of closure very difficult and thus your deck positioning. Direct flight to the deck allows for no errors as an engine failure in the final approach could put the helo into the rig and an engine failure over the deck with large torque changes thus rapid engine demand with forward speed could put the helo into the deck!

In my time flying the S61 to rigs I was always concerned about the Bears being on the pad, the cranes surrounding the pad and the winds. Thus my approach was always to the side of the pad. From there you could stabalise the approach, had a safe entry/exit lane, could monitor the wind and the surroundings and had an escape route if an engine failed.

Once happy beside the pad move laterally across slowly and safely committing to the deck only when you are directly over it.

Horses for courses, perhaps he was bored, I know I was many a time!

Trout99uk
6th May 2011, 20:44
Nice bit of reversing though. :)

BristowXJ
7th May 2011, 18:45
Bloody hell! Wouldn't like to be that guy when his FOD sees that on YouTube