PDA

View Full Version : Flt Lt Simon Hulme (Merged)

luigi69
5th May 2011, 17:38
Just read in the Wiltshire Gazette and Herald that this lad was killed in an air display crash.
I knew him at Lyneham whilst on LXX and, though a few years back, remember him as a jovial chap.
RIP

mods, if this is a repost please delete.

November4
5th May 2011, 17:48
Saw this on the front page of the local paper (http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/9010655.Cirencester_plane_crash_victim_named/) today.

Tributes after Cirencester plane crash victim named

THE Cirencester man who died in a plane crash after the aircraft nosedived into an Essex lake has been named as Simon Hulme.

An inquest has been opened and adjourned into the death of 33-year-old Flight Lt Simon Hulme who was based at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire.

The bodies of Mr Hulme and another man from the Netherlands were found in the light aircraft submerged in the the lake near Maldon, Essex.

The Russian-built Yak 52 was reported to have been flying with two other aircraft before the crash last Thursday. It is believed the planes were carrying out formation practice.

Emergency services were called last Thursday by a member of the public and found the two-seater vintage aircraft in the lake with its tail about 10ft (3m) under water.

Flt Lt Hulme flew Hercules transport aircraft and had been in the Royal Air Force for 12 years on regular deployment to the Arabian Gulf and Afghanistan.

He was an experienced pilot and flying instructor.

A statement from RAF Lyneham described Simon as, "cheerful, enthusiastic and well-liked by all who knew him"

RAF Lyneham’s Station Commander, Group Captain John Gladston, said: "The sad death of Simon Hulme comes as terrible news to us all here at RAF Lyneham. Si was a well-known and popular officer whose passion was flying and adventurous training.

"I remember Si most for his infectious enthusiasm and energy, and his terrific sense of humour. He was a gifted aerobatic pilot who devoted a great deal of his time to flying outside of the Service.

"Whilst he died doing what he enjoyed most, it makes his loss no easier for those that knew him. Our thoughts and prayers are with Si’s family and friends at this most difficult time."

His parents said he was a "credit" to them and said they were comforted in knowing he died doing what he loved. For more see next week's Standard.

luigi69
5th May 2011, 17:50
Just read it myself. flew with him when I was on LXX. Very jovial bloke from what I remember, very popular.
RIP

skaterboi
5th May 2011, 18:02
A terribly sad loss.

RIP Si, your infectious enthusiasm for flying and life in general will be sorely missed.

Puck1
5th May 2011, 18:08
RIP Si. You were and always will be a true officer and a gentleman. You will be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing you.

Spacer
5th May 2011, 18:51
Sorry to hear :-(

RIP

SCINHead
5th May 2011, 19:16
Truly,truly gutted. Will be sorely missed by all those who knew him.
RIP my friend. :(

Standby!
5th May 2011, 19:16
I have known 'Danger 1' (long story!) for many a year. Really top bloke both when in the air and on the ground.

I believe the funeral is next Thur (12th) at 1145 in Wooton Bassett.

Best wishes to his family.

RIP mate.

TAC Queen
5th May 2011, 19:47
I had the honour to work, fly and laugh with Si, a top top bloke. He was the epitome of a Co-Pilot when I first met him. This is the first time I have thought of Si without it bringing a smile to my face.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he is goosing the angels as I type.

flipster
5th May 2011, 20:22
I was very saddened to hear of Si's passing and my deepest heartfelt sympathies go to his family and friends. I knew him when he was on LXX, out 'in theatre' in 2001-2 and, (if my memory serves me correctly), when he went through CFS. Si was a delight to fly with and to instruct and he was a real 'morale-booster' to have around. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw him without a smile on his face ....and his humour was mightily infectious! Certainly, he will be greatly missed. Gladys is spot-on as the one consolation is that Si 'went' while doing something he loved.

RIP Si and go easy on the angels.
Flip

ps I hear the funeral may be at the WB Roman Catholic church - any confirmation of this?

frodo_monkey
5th May 2011, 21:07
Sorry to hear of Si's passing - I was on 56 at Leuchars as a stude a good few years ago now when Si was just starting on the UAS. A top chap with whom I shared a good few beers, but sadly had lost touch with recently.

RIP fella :(

AdLib
5th May 2011, 21:22
Would it be possible to post details of where and when the funeral will be held? Some of us would like to come along and pay our respects if that's ok with the family.

Sorry, don't have any contact details so have to ask on the open forum.

Off Hot
5th May 2011, 21:24
Heard this at our UBAS reunion last Saturday where a glass was raised to his memory.

Epitome of a top bloke as all of the posts show, a real gent and a sore loss.

RIP

nice castle
6th May 2011, 01:17
Wings folded doing something he loved, is some consolation.

Jovial he was indeed, be it in the Smoking Dog or his party cellar bar.

What a lovely man, and a sodding cruel world.

I will always remember him with a smile on his face. And that's a good way for people to remember you by, I guess.

God speed mate.

snagged1
6th May 2011, 07:25
Sad news indeed... lovely chap. Thoughts with his family.

RIP

Nadder
6th May 2011, 07:45
I had the honour of flying and skiing with Si, back on the UAS he was a great instructor and sent me up on my first solo.

He will be missed.

Sveneng
6th May 2011, 12:48
Fantastic guy who never failed to make me smile, a real loss to everyone who knew him.

back end o' the bus
6th May 2011, 12:50
Knew Si at ski champs, typical Ascoteer, beaming smile....raising a glass as I type:D

difar69
6th May 2011, 15:12
Si and I were on the same iot flt. I remember his relaxed approach to it all certainly brought a smile to our faces and he was never short of a quip or a grin. We went to different fleets but crossed paths every now & then in various flt planning rooms but he hadn't changed one bit...still smiling & still obviously loving what he was doing. RIP Si.

Friend of Si
6th May 2011, 17:47
As many may know Simon's funeral will be at 11.45am on 12th May at Sacred Heart RC Church in Wotton Bassett. The link is below. I am sure many of us will be there and if we can't we remember him especially in our prayers. http://www.thesacredheartparish.co.uk/Home.aspx (http://www.thesacredheartparish.co.uk/Home.aspx)

eard
6th May 2011, 22:21
Si served on SUAS prior to his return to Lyneham. As CFI he brought an infectious instructional style to many and we are all deeply saddened by this news. Our condolences to his family and friends.

StreetHippo
7th May 2011, 01:43
Found out last night as we landed in St Johns, a glass was raised, gonna miss you buddy.
Never did go for that catch up beer we talked about.

Gutted.

Albert Another
7th May 2011, 09:06
No matter how dull the day, Si always had an infectious smile.

The world has become a duller place with his passing.

R.I.P.

Vasco Sodcat
10th May 2011, 08:40
A dreadful, sad and untimely loss, RIP. Our thoughts are with the family.

Mal Drop
12th May 2011, 10:44
Stunned and shocked by this news. I flew with Si many times on LXX where he was the life and soul of many a route and a consummate Ascoteer. A larger than life character, he will be sorely missed.