PDA

View Full Version : Bomber Command Memorial

Hugh Spencer
5th May 2011, 09:53
A ceremony was held yesterday as a turf cutting was carried out to start the building of the Bomber Command Memorial. It is a good indication that everything can go ahead now. Funding is entirely by private donations.

WHBM
6th May 2011, 07:52
I drive down Piccadilly past the location most days, and will keep an eye open on progress.

Father (Halifax aircrew) would have been pleased.

spekesoftly
6th May 2011, 09:36
WHBM,

I'm sure many of us would appreciate it if you can post the occassional update on progress. My 87 year old mother lost her first husband (Lancaster aircrew) shortly after they were married. She's very much hoping to visit the memorial when completed, but given her age and declining health, she's understandably impatient.

Hugh Spencer
25th Jul 2011, 08:43
Hi WHPM,
Have you been able to see what is going on at the Memorial site?

spekesoftly
25th Jul 2011, 09:58
Our two daughters were in the vicinity of Green Park on Sunday 17/07/2011, and I had asked them to take a look, but they were not able to view any progress. Possibly because the area is screened?

WHBM
25th Jul 2011, 10:52
Timely reminder. Currently out of the country but I'll have a look on Friday 29th when I'm back.

WHBM
29th Jul 2011, 21:32
As described, have been into the park today, have to report that progress on the ground to date is nil.

Having walked all round and thought I had somehow missed it, I called the park managers (if interested, 020-7930-1793) and was told that work had not yet started, and that the ceremony was somewhat in advance of things. It appears, from this discussion, that the actual location is in the north-west corner of the park, at Hyde Park Corner. The memorial will be ready in 2012 as well.

A pleasant day for a walk in the park though. I'll keep up with things.

A bit more here :

Bomber Command Memorial (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/bomber-command-memorial-05052011)

PPRuNe Pop
29th Jul 2011, 21:35
I fancy the RAF Club will be full for quite a few days at the time of its completion - and a long time afterwards. It could do with it!

WHBM
31st Oct 2011, 17:16
Sorry all, haven't updated this for some time, there wasn't a lot of progress initially but now things are fully mobilised on site.

Anyone coming to the November 11th ceremonies in Whitehall can head across to the far end of Green Park (quite a walk though) to see progress. Sorry, I gave an inaccurate location earlier of the site in the park (now corrected), it is actually here :

Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.503474,-0.148758&spn=0.000793,0.002401&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6)

at the very west end of Piccadilly, facing the Hard Rock Cafe across the road, alongside where the westbound Hyde Park Corner underpass starts to go down. Nearest Underground is Hyde Park Corner.

Google Maps have bizarrely plotted the InterContinental Hotel, London, right on the location in the park where the memorial is going !

The selected contractor is Gilbert Ash, from Belfast, now fully mobilised and with a large crane installed to handle the various masonry blocks. Stonemasons are S McConnell & Sons, who also did the stonework on the Diana Memorial in Kensington Palace Gardens.

603DX
3rd Nov 2011, 22:48
At the 2011 Eastbourne Airshow I had the pleasure of meeting Mr J.V.Williams, Chairman of the Bomber Command Tribute Beachy Head Committee. I thought you would like to know that they have now made good progress with their project to create a small memorial at the clifftop site, as detailed in the progress report included in their very informative website:

www.bombercommandtribute.org (http://www.bombercommandtribute.org)

WHBM
4th Feb 2012, 09:43
Brief update

The contractors have fully surrounded the site with boarding, but you can get little squints through at places. Looks like they are about 50% complete with the structure.

WHBM
23rd Mar 2012, 21:00
Another update.

I see today that the wraps are starting to come off; the construction boards surrounding the site are coming down, and the protective sheeting around the main structure of the memorial is being removed as well, so for the first time you can see the pillar-type construction, and the scale of the overall memorial.

Hopefully onto the final stages now.

spekesoftly
24th Mar 2012, 07:21
WHBM,

Many thanks for your updates. Any chance of taking and posting a photo now that the wraps are coming down?

Chugalug2
23rd Apr 2012, 12:23
Wonderful news that Robin Gibb has confounded everyone, including his doctors, by emerging from a week long coma and making wonderful progress since. He has a date in his diary set at 28th June 2012. Let us all hope that he continues to get well and can indeed be in Green Park then.
BBC News - Bee Gee Robin Gibb's recovery 'confounds' doctors (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17808639)
Get well soon, Sir. The Bomber Command Veterans, The Royal Air Force, and this nation owe you a great debt. Thanks to your driving it forward we can at last acknowledge in turn the debt that we all owe to those who made the final sacrifice in Bomber Command on behalf of us all. It has been too long, though. Far too long.

WHBM
21st May 2012, 05:52
I'm sure we will all be saddened by the news today of the death of Robin Gibb, who was a key driver of this project. I hope he was able to see the progress made recently.

BBC News - Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb dies after cancer battle (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18140862)

WHBM
8th Jun 2012, 13:38
I missed the tickets application for 28 June, and can only find out that it is "around lunchtime", but I still hope to be able to find a slot to go. Anyone else ?

Carol Vorderman appears to have taken over the publicity role from Robin Gibb, essential if you are to get into the mass-market media nowadays. I did read that her father was in the Dutch Resistance. I wonder if he remembered the drops of food supplies over The Netherlands by Bomber Command in early 1945 ?

Chugalug2
9th Jun 2012, 08:41
Good to see that the RAF were represented in a small way at least at Robin Gibb's funeral in Thame yesterday:
http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7233656&noquote=1
A more permanent tribute though might be appropriate. Some might say that the BC Memorial itself would more than suffice and they would have a point, but that of course commemorates the 55573 aircrew that gave their lives in WWII.
The Royal Air Force could do worse than provide a plaque at its church at St Clement Danes in tribute to this stalwart and driven friend of the Services that made the memorial in Green Park a possibility, instead of the mere aspiration it had remained for over 60 years.
RIP to a man who did more in his short life for HM Forces than whole Departments of State failed to.

T-21
10th Jun 2012, 16:14
WHBM,
I applied for a single ticket in May .Filled out an application form still have not heard anything . The Queen is attending and so I suspect all her officials so will be surprised if I get a ticket now. The service is at midday for approx one hour. If you do not get a ticket is it worth attending? probably better to visit after the event when quieter. Anybody out there who can update us if all tickets have gone out ?

taxydual
10th Jun 2012, 21:24
Freddie Johnson, 91, denied a place at Bomber Commander memorial which he helped raise funds for | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157160/Freddie-Johnson-91-denied-place-Bomber-Commander-memorial-helped-raise-funds-for.html)

Halcyon Days
12th Jun 2012, 23:02
I appplied some time back and got a reply (e mail) a week or so ago-saying that they were oversubscribed and that no more tickets were available.

spekesoftly
26th Jun 2012, 19:37
Thursday 28th June 2012:-

Live coverage of the BCM unveiling ceremony starting at 12:00 BST on BBC News - Channel 80

Bomber Command: a Tribute - 17:00 BST on BBC 2 (repeated at 23:20 BST)

Who Betrayed the Bomber Boys? - 21:00 BST on Yesterday – Channel 12

Tuesday 3rd July 2012:-

Bomber Command - 21:00 BST ITV 1 (repeated 5/07/2012 at 22:35 BST)

WHBM
27th Jun 2012, 09:29
Drove up Constitution Hill this morning round the back of the memorial, a very substantial logistics effort going into the preparations for tomorrow, broadcasting vehicles, catering vehicles, RAF teams, etc. Notices up warning that Constitution Hill is closed for the rest of today and tomorrow. Even for national events in London which we are used to, it looks like a very considerable effort is being made.

Unfortunately I can't now get away to stand on the sidelines, as hoped, but wish all of those who can well with it.

WHBM
28th Jun 2012, 12:33
.... but I did break away to watch the ceremony on TV.

Bit of a shame the live presentation was on BBC News rather than BBC1 but I presume everyone now has all the channels.

BBC have obviously taken on board all the stick they got about the Jubilee presentations, this was a much more straight-laced and tighter presentation. Still could have done with a bit more about the aircraft, you almost got the impression that the commentator thought the same (references to "what really interests these old chaps is the aircraft") and he would have welcomed more briefing. However they were spot in in picking up whoever HM was speaking to, architect, sculptor of the figures, etc.

The Tornado five-some was a welcome extra flypast and the co-ordinated right turn was picked up spot-on from behind by the BBC helicopter.

Lancaster came over and dropped the red petals. Now then, old skydiver in me coming out but did these drop a bit short of the DZ ?

The service was in progress from the platform, facing south, interleaved with all this going on, and you don't get much forewarning as the aircraft come over the buildings in Piccadilly, so split-second timing essential. An amusing moment was when whoever the Top Banana was who was ending his section was speaking, he must have heard the Lanc's engines, did a sudden eyes-left and saw the aircraft come over The Ritz, and rapidly gabbled his last sentence :)

I didn't hear mention of Robin Gibb but didn't get to see it all. As I mentioned earlier, there was indeed reference to the supply drops into the Netherlands in 1945, and some from there were attending the ceremony.

I'll go and check it out at the weekend.

spekesoftly
28th Jun 2012, 13:43
Bit of a shame the live presentation was on BBC News rather than BBC1 ........

BBC News also visited Green Park regularly throughout the morning during the build up to the service.

I didn't hear mention of Robin Gibb but didn't get to see it all.

Pleased to report that due recognition was given to Robin Gibb (and many others) by the Chairman of the Bomber Command Association during his introductory speech to the dedication and unveiling ceremony.

tommee_hawk
1st Jul 2012, 20:37
Visited the Bomber Command memorial yesterday (30th) June with my daughter and better half, and possibly the most moving experience we've had together. A beautiful memorial, being visited by many foreign visitors including a German couple who were telling their young daughters (with respect and dignity) the reason for it's existence.

The memorial's location on Piccadilly (almost opposite the RAF Club) will ensure that RAF Club visitors will have an appropriate reminder of the sacrifice of those who went before.

Thanks to all of those whose tireless efforts ensured that Bomber Command's effort and sacrifice has at last been recognised.

juliet india mike
5th Jul 2012, 18:15
https://www.paydayuk.co.uk/payday-loans/keep-calm-and-log-on-with-paydayuk-tv-advert.php

If we were to protest it just means more publicity though.

Hugh Spencer
4th Oct 2012, 10:34
As there is a shortfall of £827,000 which should cover the cost of the opening ceremony, with no lottery or state funding for this particular item, should I sell my house for £200,000 to donate to the Fund . Then I can go into a care home costing £500 per week or £24,000 for the government to pay. As an ex-aircrew of WW2, what do you think of that idea?

WHBM
6th Oct 2012, 07:13
Hugh :

Don't worry, the Prime Minister has "told Whitehall to find the money". And, as I understand it, in no uncertain terms.

Victory for campaigners as David Cameron pledges to foot Bomber Command bill - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/raf-bomber-command/9588646/Victory-for-campaigners-as-David-Cameron-pledges-to-foot-Bomber-Command-bill.html)

This disagreement among overpaid civil servants over precisely which Whitehall budget was going to pay for this has, apparently, hacked off the PM once again with the professional standards of the civil service, where they were apparently more prepared to let you good guys who supported the memorial be subject to strain and worry than to appear to lose to their mate down the corridor.

The initial letter which was written in the PMs name which said they weren't going to do so, one of hundreds of letters a day that go out, was apparently drafted by these clueless public officials. Yes, you should check everything that goes out in your name, but there's far too much of it and you need to rely on your staff. Which didn't happen here. Sounds like some mandarin is looking at the wrong end of the next few honours lists now :D

Tankertrashnav
10th Oct 2012, 15:30
I have already asked this on the RBL thread, but does anyone know if there is anything planned at the Bomber Command memorial on Remembrance Sunday? I am in London that day and rather than tag onto the Cenotaph service I thought I'd go and pay my respects in Green Park. Can't imagine I'll be the only one, but will there be anything in the way of a formal service, does anyone know?

PAXboy
10th Oct 2012, 16:39
In the last 25/30 years, civil servants have been given the same instructions as commerce: DON'T SPEND ANY MONEY ON ANYTHING. So they pass it on to the next department. Eventually, the bill has gone full circle and waits for a political (or CEO) to decided who pays.

In commerce, this regular problem stays private but govt is now supposed to be open and so the problems spill out.

Remember that no one is allowed to "use your common sense" anymore. We read this every day in postings in the SLF forum where agents can no longer 'do the right thing' by the customer. Very often, nor can the civil servants. I have not worked in central govt but have been in local and in (mainly) commerce for over 30 years.

tomdocherty72
14th Oct 2012, 13:41
"Sounds like some mandarin is looking at the wrong end of the next few honours lists now"

Maybe that should be "Looking at the right end of a P45"!

Bloody atrocious debacle. Especially as they have just announced £5M for schoolkids to go to WW1 battlefields. (Not that it is a bad idea, but amazing how they can drum up funds for 'popular' vote winning ideas)

Robert Cooper
15th Oct 2012, 02:26
TTN

There will certainly be a bunch of folks from the Bomber Command Memorial Assoc. and the Bomber Command Assoc. at around 1pm.

Bob C

Tankertrashnav
17th Oct 2012, 20:03
Bob - Thanks for that - I missed Bomber Command, but as a one time member of Strike Command I hope they wont object to a mere whippersnapper of 65 tagging along!

PPRuNe Pop
17th Oct 2012, 20:28
I suggest that someone who feels strongly about the day and its association with the bomber boys starts a thread. It will not be disregarded or go without proper recognition. Feel free.

PPP