PDA

View Full Version : EGGW 08 shortcut

???pax
4th May 2011, 13:10
Hi,

As a passenger on an flight into EGGW the other night it seemed like we got the shortcut onto 08, i.e. not the full LOREL arrival.

What kind of FL would we be at when overhead the EGLL 09L approach in order to clear it safely, and I guess to be clear of the other LHR inbounds being vectored for the approach? It felt like we had to do a real "dirty dive" in order to get set up for the approach on 08.

Thanks in advance
???pax

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th May 2011, 14:50
If it was quiet you could have gone over Heathrow at any level, or altitude. The various ATC units would liaise with each other to determine the appropriate course of action.

Xulu
4th May 2011, 15:17
It's a pretty regular occurrence to be given a base leg onto 08 from both N/S. Indeed from the south we are kept high due to LHR, usually kept around FL110 and given clearance to FL80 when overhead.

It can be a dirty dive depending on how tight they vector you onto approach. Sometimes you are taken past the localiser to intercept from the other side, giving more track miles to descend.

Not as dirty as a left base onto 26 - quite rare! As Heathrow Director says, late at night when it's much quieter, things are different.

Xulu

p.s Maybe it was you, couple of days ago we had a pax complain about the shortcut - stating he hadn't received the full flight time he had paid for... :}

???pax
4th May 2011, 15:53
Cheers folks.

This was at about 23:00 on Monday night.

I can't believe somebody moaned about that. Numpty. They should have saved their moaning powers for the queue to passport control at LTN - that is an experience.