PDA

View Full Version : Motivation Letter...

CY333
4th May 2011, 07:55
Hei,

Been asked to send a motivation letter for an engineering position, I was under the idea that cover and motivation letter is the same more or less.

Any ideas?

Genghis the Engineer
4th May 2011, 09:40
23 years in this game, applied and recruited for more jobs than I can count any more - and I don't think I've ever heard the term before. Sounds like some cobblers invented by an HR department.

I should go back and ask exactly what they mean by the term.

G

forget
4th May 2011, 09:49
A cover letter or covering letter or motivation letter or motivational letter or letter of motivation is a letter of introduction attached to, or accompanying another document such as a résumé or curriculum vitae.

Wiki. Never heard of it - but learn something every day.

Fargoo
4th May 2011, 10:17
It is a cover letter, you need to tell them your motivation for applying for that particular post.

In other words why do you want the post and what skills and experience will you bring to that post.

NutLoose
4th May 2011, 11:22
That's a new one, send them a packet of Elax along with it, to get them Motivated as well........... on second thoughts, best not :E

Salusa
4th May 2011, 14:21
It seems to be a European expression, but basically a cover letter bigging yourself up.

stevef
4th May 2011, 21:40
More 'Human Resources' babble. Up until ten or so years ago, the chief engineer would evaluate an applicant by sensible questions (re hands-on experience), some history 'feelers' disguised by chat and a squint at your fingernails.
Nowadays a candidate can face a barrage from three or four interested parties on the interview panel. Assuming he/she has passed the initial psychometric test of course... :rolleyes:

Krystal n chips
5th May 2011, 05:47
Go to Google and enter "motivation letter".....initially you will get examples for University positions...then add "aircraft engineer "....result?....quelle surprise, a covering letter for the position applied for.

As others have said, little Justin and Tabatha in HR have come up with this absolutely supah, progressive, candidate intial evaluation determinate process.....etc, etc,:rolleyes:

Just more HR bolleaux....as ever.