PDA

View Full Version : Police to work with plane spotters to prevent Gatwick terror attack :)

scanhorse
3rd May 2011, 09:26
POLICE have promised to work more closely with plane spotters, who they believe can help keep Gatwick Airport safe from terrorism while carrying out their hobby.

The annual Gatwick International Aviation Enthusiasts Fair took place on April 17 in Crawley and police officers were among the exhibitors.

POLICE have promised to work closer with plane spotters, who believe they keep Gatwick Airport safe from terrorism while carrying out their hobby. (http://www.thisissussex.co.uk/news/Plane-spotters-urged-join-terrorism-fight/article-3488377-detail/article.html?)

Best Regards

:D:D

FantomZorbin
3rd May 2011, 15:28
Why not resurrect the Royal Observer Corps?!:E

What the Fug
3rd May 2011, 15:44
OFF the top me head

Health & Safety
Who is going to design the logo
Who is going to be in charge
Who will write the mission statement
Will Mam give her assent to call it Royal

compton3bravo
4th May 2011, 07:09
This sort of co-operation has been going on at Luton for some time although sometimes members of Her Majesty's Bedfordshire Constabulary have never heard of it!

FantomZorbin
4th May 2011, 13:19
WTF

Royal Assent granted in the 1940s. Let Google be your friend;)

Badge approved in 1943, command and control structure already documented along with the Mission Statement (although we didn't call it that prior to 'Americanisation' - it was called Duty then), Health & Safety came under the MOD except for a short while under the Home Office.:)

Skipness One Echo
5th May 2011, 10:35
This sort of co-operation has been going on at Luton for some time although sometimes members of Her Majesty's Bedfordshire Constabulary have never heard of it!

These things fail utterly in the real world. I was "detained" by 7 a squad of Plod on their way into Paisley near Glasgow Airport. My crime was to be photographing an aircraft in full view of the road in a spot where Airfield Ops can see you and the perimeter Police patrol can see you quite happily. They occasionally wave and smile as they know the score and know the area.

Enter SIX bored Paisley Policemen in a minibus coming back from a shout and they don't like the look of what's going on..... Three slept in the bus while one stood gaurd over me, the leader made many radio calls out of earshot and the woman just needled me to try and wind me up in a a faux mocking manner. I was "detained" for thirty minutes ( I checked ) while the leader, a PC mind, made sure I wasn't wanted then set out to find a reason, any reason to move me on. Some of the locals came over and expressed utter astonishment at what these guys had done. Utter overkill.

I reiterate the Airport Police are much more sensible but some of the local kids in uniform are beyond the pale. One of the issues with an oocasionally crushingly dull job is they decide to go and find someone to Police.

Gulf4uk
5th May 2011, 19:22
I think all this been Said many times in the past . At Farnborough there is Airfield Watch Members have id Cards and cars Stickers '
And its a waste of time because thats all there is apart from once a
mounth. plod send a password members are supposed to give if are stoped or reporting Something . makes no differance most area PLOD have no idea it exists most never get asked when stopped by plod and some of them get you real peeed off Attitude problem . Total waste of everyones time in Honour
of political correctness Security etc , I know of one incedent at Canal end of
FAB when a fisherman was turned over Rod bag emptied on bank in case
he had a SAM in it BRAINS DEPARTMENT MISSED THAT PAIR:eek::\

Tony
FAB

studentpilotmcuk
5th May 2011, 20:34
I feel that this is a step in the right direction. In my opinion, every airport should be doing this. :D :ok:

Regards

Stude

captplaystation
6th May 2011, 10:59
Quite handy to have another pair of eyes sometimes, as was the case when Ryanair stuffed a nacelle in on landing in Dublin, as reported recently.
In this instance the crew were not aware they had touched & the next crew didn't see the damage beneath the engine.
It was stated in the report that the incident was notified by " a member of the public", read "spotter" methinks.
In the past someone was employed to watch every take-off& landing, and normally someone was sat at the holding point checking over departures.
Tower controllers are too busy to give anything other than a cursory glance, & the man in the land-rover has all but disappeared, therefore a sharp pair of eyes are always welcome.

Trout99uk
6th May 2011, 21:10
Stansted also have a scheme which is proving very popular.