PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA mod / repair process

Genghis the Engineer
3rd May 2011, 07:27
Hi chaps,

I'm reasonably comfortable with the engineering process of my problem, but am completely out of the loop on the legal process.

I have a UK registered Annex II CofA light aeroplane, very old, which has a condemned oil cooler due to severe core leaks. The aeroplane is 60+ years old with the original engine, not a common type.

I'm chasing a possible source of a new oil cooler with paperwork, but suspect that I only have a 50% chance of success there.

So, if I fail, it looks like I'll have to design a mod to fit an alternative oil cooler to the aeroplane. As an engineering process, I'm comfortable with that - however...

... can anybody explain what I need to do to get that mod approved at the moment whilst keeping the aeroplane on a CofA?

(Alternatively, if anybody happens to have a serviceable oil cooler with release paperwork for a Franklin 6A4-165-B3 engine, or knows somebody who can raise expired oil coolers from the dead, I'd love to hear from you!).

G

goldeneaglepilot
3rd May 2011, 09:05
Try:

Express Radiators E.A. Ltd, 27 Whiffler Road, Norwich, NR3 2AG

They have helped me out in the past with oil cooler repairs. Full repair / pressure test facilities on site.

Genghis the Engineer
10th May 2011, 22:38
Well no joy on repairs or mod process, but I'm delighted to say that I FINALLY tracked down a PMA'd replacement part from a company called Aero Classic in California.

G

Rigga
11th May 2011, 20:43
What type of Oil Cooler is it?
Winding pipe through vanes (Radiator) or a Cylinder (Oil Can) with internal tubing for air passage?