View Full Version : Leaving Training for a New Job

02Yami
3rd May 2011, 00:24
I recently started class with an airline. I got a call today inviting me for an interview with a company I've been pursuing for months.

I tried REALLY hard to keep this scenario from happening! I tried to push my class date back, trying to give the "other" company enough time to get back to me, but I never heard back from the recruiter of the company I just started with. I basically took the airline job out of a necessity for turbine time. I'm a corporate guy at heart.

Well, if this interview goes well, how to I break the news to the airline I just started training with? Trust me, I know that it's far from professional to bail on training like this, but the pay is substantially more, it's more aligned with the kind of flying that I'd like to do, and it's got potential to be a career job.

How does one respectfully (as possible, at least...) bow out of training? I'm not one to make up stories (they'll see the new job on the PRIA paperwork anyway, when they get it), so is a simple "I'm sorry, I was offered a job that I just can't turn down. I'm not expecting them to say, "Oh, it's fine... just come back if you want to fly for us again!" Let's be realistic... I wouldn't hire someone back on at any point if they bailed once before.

If this move may very well be a career one, am I simply over-thinking this? I don't want to be "that guy" but it seems inevitable.

What do you guys think? Anyone been through something similar?

And yes, I did create this username simply to ask this question!

hsuman
3rd May 2011, 02:44
How sure are you that you can get the other job? from how i read, it is still in progress? make up your mind when you are 100% ready to sign the contract.

I'm also getting free training from my company right now, leaving is simple. They make you pay the training costs and you are free to leave any time.

However unless there is a real shortage and dry spell you probably won't be a high chance candidate at that place again.

Be truthful, tell them why, but be ready to take responsibility for your actions.

Edited to remove 'txt spk' - next time deletion

HWB

02Yami
3rd May 2011, 03:05
I'm certain that I CAN get it. There's a guy on the inside pulling for me. WILL I get it? Not sure... There are definitely pilots more experienced than me that are still out of work.

I do need to interview, but they want to do it during the week (no way of rescheduling) while I should be in ground school with the current company. I can't exactly tell them that I need time off to go interview somewhere else! They'll just give me the ol' GFY :)

IrishJason
3rd May 2011, 12:40
Well if its only one day out from your trainning I'm sure you can work the time back. just explain to them you have a pesonal matter to attend. do not give up your course without a job offer written in stone

Globally Challenged
3rd May 2011, 13:21
Agree with the above, fabricate something plausible to leave your current job on the best possible terms.

Are you bonded in any way with the airline?

02Yami
3rd May 2011, 16:06
Yeah, I'm not concerned about the one day for the interview, and I'm not giving up my current job before I actually get this new one. The problem comes when (if) I get the new job. I think I'll just tell them that I got a job offer from a company whose flying is more aligned with my career goals. I know they won't be happy, and I will feel bad about bailing... But when it comes down to it, it's MY life and MY career. In all actuality, I most likely won't step foot in the airline world again, if I can help it.

I am locked into a training contract with this company. However, I know what I signed and what the terms are, and I won't mind paying my way out. Especially for a potential career company. I'll still try to settle for a lesser amount, since I don't feel I've received the full amount of training that the contract is worth.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking the whole thing, but I would like to leave on as little a sour note as possible. I'm just that kind of guy.

stuckgear
3rd May 2011, 20:16
I don't want to be "that guy"

Here's the bottom line. No matter which way you slice it, you gets to be that guy.

02Yami
4th May 2011, 01:22
And the reason we have any type of Training bonds...once again, its a race to the bottom and this guy is now leading the charge

I disagree. Airlines wouldn't have to worry about people leaving if they offered a better QOL. People like me are not the reason training bonds exists. Training bonds are for those people who complete training and then run, after the company put thousands and thousands of dollars into getting them a fancy new type rating. Though I suppose we'll just wind up agreeing to disagree on that, I didn't start this thread to debate training bonds. Trust me, if I disagreed with them I wouldn't have signed it. Every company I've flown for has had a training contract, and this is the first one I've even CONSIDERED breaking.

As far as my "leading the charge" to the bottom. I guess your definition of "the bottom" is different than mine. If "the bottom" is where the good pay, good locations, and good QOL is... You're right, I'll be the first one down there! I'd rather be down in the sunny South, making very good money and building that PIC Jet time than be stuck in the cold Northeast, making $24,000, and being stuck in the right seat for years... but to each their own. I'm not an airline guy just like you're (I assume by your post) not a corporate guy. Diff'rent Strokes. Thanks for your input, though :ok:

I'm just trying to leave my current employer as cleanly as possible. I'd like to make ripples instead of waves.

ldyypd
5th May 2011, 14:24
"And the reason we have any type of Training bonds...once again, its a race to the bottom and this guy is now leading the charge"

Perhaps but an airline will chop you at a moment's notice if they need to, regardless of that mortgage you've just taken out or the baby you've just had. They will do whatever they need to when the going is tough.

You're trying to do the honourable thing which is good but you need to look after number one just as they will do. This is not a problem unique to this industry, it's a common dilemma and i think it's worth remembering it's not personal - just business.

Just my two cents - not claiming to be an expert. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Wish I had two airlines after me!