PDA

View Full Version : Operations Controller's knowledge

lcr2011
2nd May 2011, 15:49
Hello everyone,

can someone please tell me the aspects of aviation or any CAA publications that an operations controller of a busy airliner should be competent and knowledgeable of?

Thank you :-)

First.officer
2nd May 2011, 16:41
....list will be quite long of relevant publications, but one or two that spring to mind off the top of my head would be CAP 371 (FTL's), CAP 393 (ANO), EU-OPS, depending on where you plan to 'control', a read through of the Eurocontrol manual regarding ATFM etc. - various other publications relating to performance considerations and flight planning, of course a lot of the last two will come down to a/c type and system used for planning.

I'm sure there are a huge number of other areas you can delve into and many more experienced guys and gals will correct me......looking and thinking about it, did i really used to be an 'Ops Controller' ?? - hmmmm......jeez, i must have been useless....ultimate respect for Ops Staff i have to say....need a patience of a saint, able to juggle umpteen things at once and still have capacity for that unexpected "curve ball" usually thrown in for good measure by an unknown source...usually the boss ! lol

F/O

lcr2011
2nd May 2011, 17:18
Cheers F/O,

The reason I ask is that I am graduating soon with an Aerospace degree, also will be doing my PPL skills test this summer and therefore want to be a commercial pilot in the future.

Upon completion, I wish to get inside any airline, air taxi or cargo operator and work in Ops , and then with the money one side start my commercial training, finishing with a fATPL ready to work anywhere in the world.

hence, what are the most effective ways of Ops job hunting?

lcr

waco
3rd May 2011, 06:33
This may not be a popular thing I type ...... however.

I believe in Ops jobs for Ops people.
and
Flying jobs for flying people.

ps If you do work in ops...after you have paid all your bills, there will not be much, if anything, left for flying.

Times are hard for lots of people these days. Support your local ops and crewing guys and gals.

The Mixmaster
3rd May 2011, 07:57
LCR. Definitely a good plan and one that has just worked for me and many others I know. As long as you're dedicated to ops whilst working in ops, the doubters will come round!

Monitor aviationjobsearch, UKOMA, flightglobal and flight international, and the various websites of airlines/operators you want to work for. Don't be fussy with your first gig as getting on the experience ladder is key to getting anywhere in this game. Pay varies between companies from crap (less than 20k) to pretty good (high 20's, early thirties), especially with overtime. Best of luck:ok:

Mr Angry from Purley
10th May 2011, 18:25
Totally agree thank **** you didn't stay in Crewing:mad:
Get kettle on

desertopsguy
10th May 2011, 19:20
Delay Reducer...

If you're going to be graduating with a BSc in ATM would you not aim a little higher than an entry level ops job? Plenty of companies out there have internships for new grads and they probably pay much better than an entry level ops bod...With an MSc in ATM most ops departments will frustrate you as you'll not have much opportunity to put what you've learned into action unless the ops manager/director allows you to do so and such side projects would have to fit in around your regular shift patterns.

Raytheon / Airbus and some of the larger airlines regularly hire new grads and offer rewarding careers.

Just something to consider.

As for the original question....
Ops controllers these days should have excellent commercial awareness and cost control knowledge. How many even know what the cost is to operate their aircraft for 1 hr? It plays a big part during disrupted operations and recovery planning. Some of them out there have plodded on for 2 decades and muddle through anything to do with the cost aspect of things, no excuse for that anymore.
Impeccable attention to detail is also essential. Never stop learning.

waco
12th May 2011, 21:12
Could do with going back to to a few Boeings and couple of big Airbi.

Toooooooo many aircraft these days plus I dont understand whats happening anymore (not that I ever did).

Invite to follow for house warming. Bedfordshire here we come on 18th !
(just need a part time job at Duxford now !!)

Engine room !