PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical-vicodin

redwings15964
2nd May 2011, 07:24
someone i know got shoulder surgery about a half year ago and is currently taking vicodin to ease the pain. He has not flown in awhile because of the pain but wants to start flying again soon. He does not need to have another physical done for 3.5 years but will taking vicodin disqualify him from being eligable for obtaining this medical than? and also, how long can he take vicodin for his shoulder, as long as it does not interfere with his flying.

Loose rivets
2nd May 2011, 10:59
Vicodin is powerful stuff. I don't think one is allowed to send it by USPS. Commonsense should stop someone flying while taking this - unless, the Feds have done a lot of tests and say it's okay. Which I very much doubt.

muppetbum
2nd May 2011, 14:06
I wasn't allowed to be in control of a science lab with 30 kids in it when I was on opiod painkillers. I hope to god that you wouldn't be allowed to be in control of an aircraft :eek:

Loose rivets
2nd May 2011, 16:54
I have been astonished in the past just how much the sports injury clinic in Colchester hospital helped me with two separate issues. Both had given several months of pain. A shoulder after a particularly hard service at tennis, and an ankle after tripping out of a LHR hotel on the way to a sim session. That was a real bad one, and all the more surprising cos I was doing a lot of sports then.

The doc made me stand on the good foot and close my eyes. Fine. Then on the bad foot. When I closed my eyes, I fell on his desk. He said I torn the sensory nerves. About 6 weeks of one day a week at the hospital and the correct procedures at home, and I was running again. Prior to that, nearly a year had gone by, and I thought I'd never run again because of pain.

With the shoulder, I still recall the physio saying, "let pain be your guide" while lying on my back, arms bent at the elbows, trying to allow the weight to reach the floor level with the top of my head. A few weeks and I was fine, but months had gone by with no improvement before help.

redwings15964
2nd May 2011, 18:32
Right now he is still working his way through the licenses. He wouldnt take vicodin before any flight, but possible after because his shoulder he thinks will be sore after wards.