PDA

View Full Version : BA - Questions, Comments, Bouquets & Brickbats (Merged) I

ceeb
10th Apr 2011, 15:24
Hi Folks,

I have searched the BA site but can't find an answer. Just wondering if two people travelling LGW-AMS can have one checked in bag but share the allowance (i.e possibly 1 28kg bag rather than 2 23kg ones)

Thanks in advance!:)

fincastle84
10th Apr 2011, 15:55
I think you may get charged an exess for having an overweight bag.

ExXB
10th Apr 2011, 17:29
From here (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_ch?topic=freebags) I'd say you would be liable for the £40 heavy bag charge, unless you are a BA Gold or Silver Executive Club or AA Executive Platinum or Iberia Plus Platinum member.

ceeb
11th Apr 2011, 09:31
Thanks for that, 2 bags it is then!

Espada III
13th Apr 2011, 08:16
Most airlines will let you share weight but you still cannot have a single bag over a specific weight (I think 23kg or 25kg) depending on airline and country of departure.

Some low cost airlines don't even let you do that with family members. If there are two people travelling, each with say 22kg allowance (total 44kg), and one case is 23kg and one 17kg (total 40kg), they will charge for the bag 1kg overweight.

Zetlandia
27th Apr 2011, 01:31
Hello folks,

as I sit here wondering how we'll afford to eat after booking flights from BOS-LHR-EDI-LSI. with BA and FlyBe/Loganair.

I am trying in great desperation to discover what exactely are the hoops one must jump to get the acceptable size of infant car seat into a passenger seat.
The restrictions are such that there are no exsisting seats which would fit them?
Where can I find reliable, realistic and accurate info on how to seat my 6month old in her own car seat in the plane seat.

The FAA are all about this for safety reasons, but I don't see much info coming from BAA, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here too.

goggokids travel mate + car seat = a much easier life for me at least.

any pointers, tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Pitts2112
27th Apr 2011, 02:22
The short answer is, you don't. You carry the infant TO the airplane in the carrier, staff take if off you, and you then put the baby in the bassinet you have previously arranged to have in place with the carrier when you booked your ticket. Bassinet mounts on the bulkhead in front of the front row of seats. Works quite well, actually. Gives you a bit of space, the baby tucks in nicely and has at least a fighting chance of getting some kip. And, oddly enough, the armrest height is such that it supports your arm holding the baby quite well for feeding and cuddling.

empacher48
27th Apr 2011, 03:21
The best device I've used for my son is this:

Safe Airplane Travel for Kids - CARES Child Aviation Restraint System | Kids Fly Safe - CARES | Kids Fly Safe (http://www.kidsflysafe.com/)

It is very cheap, works well and from their website you are able to download the approvals for most Aviation Authorities.

I have been challenged by certain airlines, but providing either FAA (or whatever country's authority) letter has usually satisfied those who question it.

It should be noted that this device is designed for children over 22 pounds or about 10kg, My son was that weight at 6 months.

parabellum
27th Apr 2011, 05:00
Zetlandia - Not sure if it is still the case but as the child is only six months old it would normally travel for free. If you want to use a car seat in the aircraft you will first have to buy a seat for the baby so that the car seat can be attached. The bassinet solution suggested above may do it for you? You will have to reserve those bulkhead seats though.

Some information here:

Google (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=infants+in+car+seats+in+aircraft&cp=32&pf=p&sclient=psy&site=&source=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=infants+in+car+seats+in+aircraft&pbx=1&fp=7a5358b42568f406)

scr1
27th Apr 2011, 07:28
the baby will have to go your knee for the edi-lsi sector, a/c is small and has no bulkhead seats or room for car seat in cabin.

i know you are not flying with them but easy jets policy is hear

Can I take a car seat on board? (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4135/kw/car%20seat)

would think that ba will be the same

handsfree
27th Apr 2011, 07:51
From the BA website

British Airways - Travelling with children (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/child/public/en_gb)

Car type safety seats

You may prefer to use your own car type safety seat, which must meet the following standards:

The seat must be designed to be secured by means of a normal aircraft single lap strap and face the same direction as the passenger seat on which it is positioned.
A purpose-designed children's car seat must have a 5-point restraining harness.
The car seat must not exceed the dimensions of the aircraft seat.
The maximum dimensions of the seat must fit into an area of 45cm x 45cm (17.5ins x 17.5ins).

Please note: Two part car seats, where there is the seat and a base are not suitable for use on aircraft seats.

Pitts2112
27th Apr 2011, 12:08
Oh, forgot a couple of details.

For take-off and landing, the cabin crew will give you a seat belt loop that goes through your seat belt and then around the baby. The baby has to be in your lap and so belted in for takeoff and landing.

The bassinet solution means you only buy your seat. Children under, I think 2 or 3 or so, travel for free but they have to be on your lap.

It's not as inconvenient as it all sounds. For short sectors, having the baby in your lap isn't really that much of a problem and, on long sectors, having the baby in the bassinet is actually a godsend. Ours slept almost all the way from London to Sao Paulo but, when she did need handling, getting her in and out of the bassinet was far easier than trying to get her in and our of a carseat.

The best baby-survival tip I ever saw was the dad who, when both he and his wife tried half-heartedly for a half hour to quiet their spoiled, hollering, tantrumming 3 year old, stood up, extracted a small box out of the overhead bin, opened it, and then proceeded to offer everyone around them a set of foam earplugs. That act alone not only cracked us all up but also relieved the tension caused by 20 or so passengers getting really annoyed because Mom and Dad seemed oblivious, or unable to control, their screaming kid. Both parents were useless at controlling the kid, but at least Dad was under no illusions about his darling little monster.

Zetlandia
28th Apr 2011, 21:11
Thank you for your responses.

I'm really trying to figure out which of the zillions of car seats will be permitted on board, the guidlines are sparse.

I'm not a fan of the old kangaroo belt systems, and as I'm travelling alone with baby will appreciate her own seat for the extra room.
NB: All bulkhead/cot seats are already booked on both cross-pond flights.

Shouldv'e flown world traveller plus,but at almost $2000 extra it's hard to know what's ever best.

Pitts2112
29th Apr 2011, 00:00
For an extra $2,000 another carrier or a different flight would be my guess.

I know this seems obvious but BA is not the only, and not even the best, carrier, depending on where you're flying from (and I used to work for BA).

If all else fails, give them a call on the phone. Hopefully they'd be able to give you better info than you're getting online.

frontcheck
29th Apr 2011, 14:45
Dont forget that if using a car seat you will have to pay a child fare as you are effectively using a seat that could be sold at a higher fare.

aligee
1st May 2011, 22:20
All too often airlines are criticised for poor service.To redress the balance i would like to publicly thank BA for the outstanding service my party of four experienced recently.

On april 29th we were flying on the BA 18:10 from malaga and arrived at gatwick late enough to miss our connecting flight (the last flight) to glasgow.On arrival BA had already organised a hotel and meals along with boarding passes for the first flight in the morning.What great service.

I would like to publicly thank the BA service agent at flight connections at gatwick for his outstanding service and attitude, It's people like this gentleman that restore my faith in our airline industry. I know which airline gets my business from now on.
Thanks British Airways :ok::D

PleasureFlyer
2nd May 2011, 10:15
There always has to be someone with an axe to grind when anyone comes on here to praise great service from BA.

I will add my sentiments alongside aligee's. Whether LGW or LHR, if I've missed a connection (for whatever reason) the ground staff have always been excellent in rearranging flights, hotel, or whatever else is required.

Betty girl
2nd May 2011, 10:23
Thanks for comming on hear with your lovely praise.

BA is very good at providing accommodation and re-booking passengers on flights when a delay is due to them.

Even when the delay is not the fault of BA, they are very good at re-booking through booked passengers and our flight connection centre staff will meet an aircraft whenever possible.

I would recommend to all passengers to book your flights as one journey and then like this example, your forward travel will be looked after by BA if a problem arises.

WHBM
2nd May 2011, 12:50
I've found BA a great operator, as pax all along from back in the days of their constituents in the 1960s, and up to 2 days ago.

There's also nothing like being in some airport on the other side of the world, walking down the pier on your homeward journey, and among all the local fleet seeing THAT tailfin livery :)

jethrobee
2nd May 2011, 13:49
Its nice to hear something positive about BA, I would suggest that you do something that I always take the time to do, and fill in the form on the BA website to pass the compliment back.

Its always nice to let the people on the ground hear positive feedback rather than the negative stuff.

ulxima
2nd May 2011, 17:03
I would recommend to all passengers to book your flights as one journey and then like this example, your forward travel will be looked after by BA if a problem arises

Given the experiences I have been going through so far, this applies to almost all European "legacy" carriers...and to Aeroflot too :E

Ciao,
Ulxima

gr8tballsoffire
2nd May 2011, 17:19
So nice to hear something positive about BA. People love to knock it, but it still beats the majority of carriers for service.

In the dim and distant past I have worked in what is now called Flight Connections. Passengers have little awareness of how much work and preplanning goes into looking after people with tight or missed connections.

I judge companies on how they deal with situations when they go wrong and I know that BA, in most cases, is very good at that.

Hambleite
2nd May 2011, 20:24
Couldn't agree more WHBM, that tailfin is quite fantastic

GROUNDHOG
3rd May 2011, 15:16
Don't ask me why but I have flown many airlines and BA is still the only one that makes me feel 'at home' as soon as I board the inbound flight. See you again in October BA ( waiting for the summer sale!) then its LHR/YVR/LHR.

Torque Tonight
3rd May 2011, 17:18
arrived at gatwick late enough to miss our connecting flight

If you were flying FR, you probably wouldn't have arrived late! ;)

(Before anyone goes off on one, I'm teasing)

Ralf Stosser
3rd May 2011, 18:59
GROUNDHOG

Maybe you like BA as it is your own kultur?

Me, I like Lufthansa, but not so much Air Berlin.

VintageKrug
4th May 2011, 06:55
As Jeremy Clarkson so memorably set out:

“There is nothing quite as joyous as leaving the hustle and bustle of a superheated Third World hellhole and being greeted on the big BA jumbo by a homosexual with a cold flannel and refreshing glass of champagne.

“Take that away from us and we may as well all be Belgian.”

www.ba.com/welldone

Zetlandia
4th May 2011, 20:39
Not concerned about cost of baby's ticket, or that she'll need her own seat.
Would love to know if there is even a car seat in exsistence that is 45cm by 45cm at the base.

Zetlandia
4th May 2011, 20:41
I agree BA isn't the best, but being that route is BOS-LHR-EDI-LSI and back risking missing a connector in that 24hour period isn't worth the extra hours in airports or planes for the savings.

I could go KLM to AMS then EDI or AirFrance Via CDG, then spend a night in EDI or get on a boat from ABZ.
I know all the possible common routes.

I do miss the days of free flights, but price isn't the issue, the car seat quest is.

Mr Mac
5th May 2011, 12:45
I think Jeremy is a Virgin boy now, (no pun intended) after flying with them a few years back when he can use their service. Enjoyed being picked up by driver at start and end of trips and the stile of Heathrow lounge were amongst the things he liked which BA either did not supply, or were not to his taste.

Betty girl
5th May 2011, 13:09
Sorry to disagree Mr.Mac but I have carried him on two BA flights quite recently. He always kisses the outside of the airplane as he gets on and says something like 'nice to be back home' plus a few disparaging remarks about foreigners!! As you might expect!!

He is just as outspoken in real life as he is on the telly.

Maybe he flies with both airlines as I expect he travels rather a lot!

SLFLurker
5th May 2011, 19:39
I've just had four flights with BA - none of them bad and one was totally, totally outstanding - from groundcrew at LHR to the end of the flight. Sent a well done off to BA for that one.

Mr Mac
9th May 2011, 09:12
Betty Girl I agree with your comments about how much Mr Clarkson flys, and that he may well use both airlines, but he did write an artical in the Sunday Times 2/10/05 titled "I have been seduced by BA" .This was then printed in his book World According to Clarkson Vol 2. The artical does claim that he was a BA fan but he had recently flown Virgin, and was now going to try and use them where he could. However as we both agree given BA,s larger route coverage he probably uses both. As for kissing the plane I must say that I have always patted the outside before going through the door, and have done so since being a child, probably because my Father did the same when he flew Halifax Bombers in WW2.

Happy Cone trails.

c7xlg
9th May 2011, 09:40
Hello...
Does anyone have a good email and postal address for someone fairly senior in British Airways Customer Service or Frequent Flyer programme?

I have had a booking made 11 months ago for my honeymoon downgraded due to a commercial decision from BA, and I am getting zero satisfaction from the person who has address the complaint I entered via their website. I therefore want to send a letter to a real person with a decent level of seniority to express my disappointment with the way this has been handled.

thank you!

TightSlot
9th May 2011, 14:37
Interesting... I always pat the outside when boarding, and always pat the aircraft itself when talking about her in-flight. I also have a rule that you must never be rude about the aircraft that you are flying on when it is in earshot - I kid you not!

Flyer70
9th May 2011, 14:56
I got this email address from the site CEO e-mail addresses - CEO email address - chief executive officer - managing director - UK - USA - US - America - EU - Asia (http://www.ceoemail.com), it gives the email address of Keith Williams, CEO, British Airways, as [email protected].
Hope this helps.

ExXB
9th May 2011, 15:25
Hello...
Does anyone have a good email and postal address for someone fairly senior in British Airways Customer Service or Frequent Flyer programme?

I have had a booking made 11 months ago for my honeymoon downgraded due to a commercial decision from BA, and I am getting zero satisfaction from the person who has address the complaint I entered via their website. I therefore want to send a letter to a real person with a decent level of seniority to express my disappointment with the way this has been handled.

thank you!I no longer fly BA, because of the very poor way they dealt with me. Even as one of their 'Gold' members they couldn't give a 'monkeys'.

Don't forget that EC Regulation 261/2004 entitles you to 'compensation' of up to 75% of the fare, in case of a downgrade. Now this won't help you get back to where you should be - but perhaps you can use the money in the future flying on their competition. Which I highly recommend.

WHBM
9th May 2011, 15:49
I also have a rule that you must never be rude about the aircraft that you are flying on when it is in earshot
Now I do the same when flying say a crosswind landing in the Piper, "Come on now Charlie India, don't waggle your wings" and similar, it amuses who is with me and somewhat takes their mind off the approaching runway being at 45 degrees to the way we are pointing.

Mr Mac
9th May 2011, 17:25
I know a few airline pilots in Europe and the Mid East (not all English), and I have been lucky enough to fly in the cockpit on a number of occasions with them. The patting and talking to the plane has gone on a number of times, in perticuler on approach to Kai Tak in Monsoon weather !. My patting of the plane is just for luck but I always do it. It will be intresting to see if any other Pilots / Aircrew/ SLF own up to doing this, or somthing like it, perhaps we should start another thread on this issue ?. Intrestingly Mrs Mac who also flys the world on her own account thinks I am mad doing this, but after a bad flight with Air France last month I did notice a little caress of the air frame on an EK 777 when boarding at Manchester a week ago, but she would not admit it even if wild horses were involved !.

:)

tmclr3
9th May 2011, 21:23
Seems like an odd thing to want to do, but bear with me....

I am travelling on a full flexible Prem Economy fare, and want to change my return date. The problem is that the flight I want is pretty full, with availability only in Economy.

My travel agent tells me that BA won't allow a 'downgrade' of my Prem Economy flexible ticket to purchase an Economy seat on my flight of choice. Apparently my only choice is to seek a partial refund of my ticket (unlikely to get much back) and buy a single Economy at inflated cost because the flight is almost full. Paticularly galling since the reason I forked out for a flex fare was because I couldn't guarantee my date of return.

Anybody have any experience of this? Seems an extremely harsh 'gouging' policy to me.....

Airclues
9th May 2011, 22:20
Why not phone BA and ask them?

c7xlg
10th May 2011, 07:27
Flyer70: thank you!

ExXB: I had found that regulation to. They had informed me of the downgrade 4 weeks before the flight which I think means I'm not entitled to the re-fund. Might be worth a little more research though.

I found a good contact on the flyertalk forum, who has responded and resolved the issue to my satisfaction. The contact didn't seem to have much respect for the BA customer service department either!!

PAXboy
10th May 2011, 08:15
Welcome aboard tmclr3. The suggestion by Airclues is spot on. My guesses as to why they won't allow it are:

Money
You are dealing with an agent who may have agreements with BA that you know not of.
Historical ticketing arrangements that have not been properly challenged.
Most of the people you deal with will have zero freedom to alter the rules, because modern 'management' doesn't like staff to think of new ways of helping a customer - if it will cost more than five pence.
Few companies imagine giving money back, despite the improvement in customer relations that it would produce and the free advertising of you recommending the company.
Few companies think of the downside of their customer being able to tell any online customer in the whole world - that they are not thinking in a 21st century way.

So well done you!

ExXB
10th May 2011, 08:19
No doubt BA will try to get out of it by claiming it doesn't apply in your case or some other banal attempt. However there is no get-out-of-jail card for them in this case. The regulation states:

Article 10

Upgrading and downgrading

1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request any supplementary payment.

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse

(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less, or

(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, except flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres, or

(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments.

Note that you must travel to be entitled to this compensation. If you cancel you get nothing.

In cases of flight cancellations (which isn't what is happening to you) there is an exception for flights cancelled two weeks in advance.

aer lingus
10th May 2011, 17:06
Your travel agents commission could be reduced, that's why he's saying no.:(

WHBM
10th May 2011, 18:10
I am travelling on a full flexible Prem Economy fare, and want to change my return date. The problem is that the flight I want is pretty full, with availability only in Economy.

My travel agent tells me that BA won't allow a 'downgrade' of my Prem Economy flexible ticket to purchase an Economy seat on my flight of choice. Apparently my only choice is to seek a partial refund of my ticket (unlikely to get much back) and buy a single Economy at inflated cost because the flight is almost full. Paticularly galling since the reason I forked out for a flex fare was because I couldn't guarantee my date of return.
tmclr3 :

Few scheduled flights are "full" more than a few days ahead, apart from maybe Christmas Eve etc. What you do find, however, is that Yield Management divide each cabin up into how many seats they will offer at each fare, and that the few (sometimes none) seats allotted to your particular type of fare have gone. Speaking directly to BA will show all the combnations you can do though.

You may also find that your "travel agent" is only concerned to maximise their own income, a percentage of what you pay, and I have heard all sorts of cock-and-bull stories from them, including so-called "corporate" travel agencies (all in the past; never use agents now). This includes travellers being sent on all sorts of nonsense combinations so agents can qualify for some current special promotion. They are a business in terminal decline. If a travel agent suggests buying a "economy single at inflated cost" that is a real giveaway - such single journeys are generally cheaper if you buy a return, coming back some date far in the future (poke around for the cheapest combination) and don't use the return part.

Airclues
10th May 2011, 19:01
tmclr3

If the ticket is fully flexible can you not cancel the entire trip and then make a new booking (either in WT or with a different airline)? I'm sure that the travel agent will become more helpful if they see their commission disappearing.

Dave

tmclr3
11th May 2011, 04:38
Thanks for all the useful replies, and apols for the delay in responding.

I am travelling on business, so all the arrangements must be handled through the agent (a major travel company). Suits me generally, as I don't have time to be doing it myself.

I was just intrigued to see if anyone else has had this experience. As it stands, the agent has sent my original full flex ticket for 'partial refund' and has paid for a one way economy ticket at close to half the cost of the original premium flex return fare. I am apparently now waitlisted for a prem economy seat, but by all accounts I will have to pay an upgrade fee against my new economy ticket to get this. That'll be an interesting discussion......

Thanks again.

Hartington
11th May 2011, 16:03
Fare rules may preclude what I'm about to say but the procedure to downgrade is:

Cancel and Make booking in new class.
Calculate the new total fare for the whole journey.
Compare the fare/total of the original ticket with the new fare/total and, assuming the new fare is lower, proceed as follows.
Reissue the original ticket (which means using it to pay for the new ticket). If the new total is less than the previous you show the new fare and appropriate taxes in their correct boxes and NO ADC (No Additional Collection) in the total. Then you issue an MCO (Miscellaneous Charges Order) or these days an MPD (Multi Purpose Document) or even VMPD (Virtual MPD) in exchange for the original ticket (again) and show the refundable value there (in words) but, to confuse everyone, the total of that document also shows NO ADC. The you refund the MCO/MPD/VMPD.

Job done!

Zetlandia
17th May 2011, 05:54
Originally Posted by Clarkson
“There is nothing quite as joyous as leaving the hustle and bustle of a superheated Third World hellhole and being greeted on the big BA jumbo by a homosexual with a cold flannel and refreshing glass of champagne.

“Take that away from us and we may as well all be Belgian.”
I'd rather fly Sabena!
Or DAT ops....aaah.

Alas I must admit that hotac happened not when i was left stranded en route in airport 2 of 4, although I suppose it was very nice of the BA woman to tell me "you're a big girl I'm sure you'll find somewhere to stay in the city".

She wasn't service air, that I am certain of.

Zetlandia
17th May 2011, 06:06
Found some seats that MAY fit:

SunshineKids Radian car seat. weighs a mere 30lbs, but it folds to 7inches!

Safety 1st onSide Air.

And Britax Prince.

Down side is I now discover that USA car seats are not usable in the UK...seatbelts in cars are different!?

Looks like I'll have to travel out with 2.
AmericanAirlines op allow infant seat and rear-facing seats so will bring that, which is also compatable with UK seatbelts for in-car use.

return to usa with BA will require (for us) bristish version of above seats where possible, that we might use them in the future too.

THANK you all for your assistance.
I will keep on til I find the answer that works for our daughter...God, I'm so lucky to be able to write that!!

adfly
27th May 2011, 16:39
Just want to know as I'm travelling to Rome Tomorrow from LHR on the early morning flight; What does BA's on-board breakfast currently consist of and what are peoples opinions of it? I will be travelling in Economy (Euro Traveller).

wowzz
27th May 2011, 21:32
Buy sandwiches from 'Pret' before you board!