PDA

View Full Version : Vueling A320 nose gear @ 90 deg. landing (no. 19 out of a series of many)

Check Airman
30th Apr 2011, 23:53
Does anybody have any more details to go with the picture?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Vueling-Airlines/Airbus-A320-211/1910344/M/http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/4/4/3/1910344.jpg

Photos: Airbus A320-211 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Vueling-Airlines/Airbus-A320-211/1910344/M/)

DownIn3Green
1st May 2011, 00:26
"Airbus" says it all...

beardy
1st May 2011, 01:00
'DownIn3Green Floral City, Florida, USA' says it all...

gusting_45
1st May 2011, 01:01
DIG.

What a crass and idiotic comment.

sb_sfo
1st May 2011, 04:24
As I recall, the JB at LAX was the seventh time, so this is at least 8.

alcan60283
1st May 2011, 04:36
Ahem.

From the NTSB investigation report: (JBLU232)

"The airplane had EMM/COMMOM BSCU software standard L4.5 (P/N E21327003) installed, which, as does standard L4.1, features a pre-landing dynamic steering test, as does the CONVENTIONAL BSCU. However, the EMM/COMMON BSCU and the CONVENTIONAL BSCU pre-landing steering tests are significantly different.

While both the COMMON and the CONVENTIONAL BSCU essentially work the same way, the COMMON BSCU results in significantly more physical movement of the gear while trying to rotate the gear (in the mechanically centered locked position) during the pre-land test. Once the BSCU receives a signal indicating that the NLG is down and locked, it starts monitoring the angular position of the NLG. It begins a series of five steering tests. After a brake test has been completed and hydraulic system power is available to the steering servo valve (nose gear down and locked and all gear doors are commanded closed), the BSCU starts the steering test.

After the first four test sequences are completed, the EMM/COMMON BSCU (Std L4-1 and L4-5 only) electrically commands the NLG wheel assembly to rotate 2.5 degrees left from center, back to center, 2.5 degrees right, then back to center. This cycle takes approximately 5.0 seconds to complete, and is continuously performed until touchdown of the main gear assembly. According to information provided by Airbus representatives, the NLG completes the left and right cycle an average of 57 times per flight. The CONVENTIONAL BSCU on the other hand applies a 10-degree rotation command for only 0.5 seconds, which achieves a pulse movement up to 1 degree. After the landing gear is selected down, and 1 second after the NLG is down and locked, the BSCU determines the position of the NLG wheel assembly.

If the
BSCU detects that the NLG has deviated out of its mechanically centered 0-degree position, it will attempt to center the NLG. It electronically commands the servo valve to reposition the NLG wheel assembly to center. If the BSCU does not receive a position feedback response indicating that the servo valve moved as commanded, the BSCU will continue to monitor the servo valve position for 0.5 second. If there is still no response, the BSCU shuts off hydraulic pressure, and nosewheel steering is not available. The NLG cannot be moved without hydraulic pressure. Failure of the NLG to center initiates a WHEEL N/W STRG FAULT caution on the ECAM.

CORRECTIVE ACTIONS Airbus issued Operations Engineering Bulletin (OEB) 175-1 (post Flight Warning Computer standard E3) and OEB 176 (Flight Warning Computer standard E2) in October 2005. This provided a procedure for the flight crew to reset the BSCU in flight. It discussed steps to take if the L/G SHOCK ABSORBER FAULT ECAM message was triggered at any time in flight and the WHEEL N/W STRG FAULT ECAM caution light illuminated after landing gear extension.

Under those conditions, it noted that the flight crew could reset the BSCU when all landing gear doors indicated closed on the ECAM WHEEL page. Successful NLG centering and nosewheel steering recovery would be indicated if the WHEEL N/W STRG FAULT ECAM light was no longer illuminated.

FAA AD 2005-24-06 and EASA AD 2006-0174 were subsequently issued to perform a NLG shock absorber charge pressure check and a repetitive borescope inspection of NLG upper support/cylinder lugs to mitigate the fatigue cracks that were induced by the BSCU Standard L4.5 (or earlier EMM standards). Furthermore, FAA AD 2007-18-19 was issued to supersede FAA AD 2005-24-06 and defines the related investigative/corrective actions referencing Airbus SB A320-32-1310. The SB A320-32-1310 introduces a modified and more robust upper support. The FAA AD 2007-18-09 also provides optional terminating action for repetitive inspections.

RETROFIT Airbus issued new software standards L4.8 (sb a320-32-1305) and L4.9B that cancelled OEBs 175 and 176. BSCU standard 4.8 reduced the number of pre-landing test cycles to eight per flight, which they felt reduced the likelihood of fatigue.

Standard 4.9B has no effective pre-landing test cycles to induce fatigue.

Airbus made a design change to the upper support assembly and provided specific inspection requirements at NLG overhaul. They consider those changes plus incorporation of Standard 4.9B to be terminating action for this issue.

Now it begs the question, why on EARTH would airbus design a system to do this? It oscillates the nose gear 57 times per flight? Boy, way to complicate what should be a simple system.

11Fan
1st May 2011, 06:33
The Jet Blue did a fly-by of the tower at LGB before circling around for a while and then landing at LAX. Saw him at LGB, drove home, hour and a half later, saw him fly overhead inbound to LAX. Smooth as silk landing as well. :ok:

FoMf7lTpWzU

And the funny thing was, the Pax on the JB flight above got to watch themselves on CNN on the IFE.

SKS777FLYER
1st May 2011, 06:57
Gusting 45 :DIG.

What a crass and idiotic comment.

It does read Airbus on the fuselage, the nose gear appears to be rotated about 90 degrees. Somewhat of a frequent event; at least on aircraft bearing that moniker. Probably happens on other jetliners as well, but AB gets the spotlight anyhow.:)

RTO
1st May 2011, 12:27
I'm with DownIn3Green on this one

Capetonian
1st May 2011, 12:31
"Airbus" says it all...

How very worrying, I suppose I had better re-schedule about 75% of the forthcoming flights I have booked as they are on Airbuses.

It does read Airbus on the fuselage, the nose gear appears to be rotated about 90 degrees. Somewhat of a frequent event;

SKS777FLYER I'm sure you will be able to produce statistics to convince me, and others, of the 'frequency' of this event. I am waiting with baited breath!

outofsynch
1st May 2011, 12:39
It happens about as often as Boeings dissappear due to rudder hardover, or fall out of the sky before landing because the engines forgot to spool up.....

Total rubbish!!!!!!! :p

Willit Run
1st May 2011, 13:41
There has been a lot of airplanes made over the years and a lot of major advances in safety and reliability. Why does airbus have to complicate a nose steering system so much?? I don't think we need that many nose steering system computer crosschecks. Maybe I'm clueless :ugh:

IGh
1st May 2011, 15:14
NWA at Fargo/ 20Oct07
CHI08IA022 (http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20071023X01634&key=1)

UA / 21Nov02, CHI03IA027 (http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20021125X05520&key=1)

Fargoo
1st May 2011, 18:00
Link to AV Herald article (http://avherald.com/h?article=43b46cee)

Happened on the 20th of last month.

SKS777FLYER
1st May 2011, 22:54
Capetonian :
SKS777FLYER I'm sure you will be able to produce statistics to convince me, and others, of the 'frequency' of this event. I am waiting with baited breath!
I don't keep any cocked nose gear statistics for commercial jetliners, (maybe 20 if the title of the thread is correct:} Fer sure there were plenty of 737's falling out of the air apparently due to hardover rudders thru the years, and the somewhat frequent 737 pop top phenomena (757 recently as well), separated VS of some Airbi.
Never got a 737 rating.... it's rudder problems didn't inspire me, never interested in the least at an A300 rating during the time my company had them, but was crazed enough to get a DC10 rating even tho I never trusted the wheel brakes on the beast (numerous DC10 rollout and overrun accidents).
I suppose the only real concerns I had in 15 years in the left seat of 757s was the early and thankfully few years of wondering if the RB211s would advance off idle after a prolonged descent.