PDA

View Full Version : Last steps of PPL course (FAA)

Dade123
30th Apr 2011, 15:29
Hello all, FAA PPL course here with some questions.

Have nearly 40 hours under my belt. The last things I need before receiving my license are the following:

-1.5 hours solo
-8 more night landings
-Solo X-Country

However, the reason I posted here was to gain some insight on the written exam and the checkride. My instructor told me to buy the GLEIM'S PPL book and start reviewing ASAP for the written. My question is if there are any "online sources" I could use instead of buying the book? I tried googling around but to no avail.

Now for the checkride. My instructor informed that I "must" take a 2 hour ground session with him where he will be roleplaying as the examiner. He also said that we also "must" get in the plane for at least an hour where he will also be roleplaying as the examiner. Not to come off as a cocky bastard, but I feel like this is a little silly and it makes me feel as if he's trying to squeeze out every last cent he can get before I'm done with the course. I can understand perhaps a 1 hour ground session with him where we do a general review or something of that sort. But his "demands" seem a bit ridiculous. Just looking for a 2nd opinion on this.

As for the checkride again, I was told to be expected to pay at LEAST $800. This includes the 4 hours I'll be paying for the examiner and the 2 hours I'll be paying for renting the plane. Instructor told me the examiner will probably charge 60 or 70 per hour if I'm "lucky". The plane rental is 102 per hour. Do the examiner rates look right to anyone? Just looking for some insight.

Any tips/advice on the checkride (ground part as well) would be highly appreciated. :ok:

Thank you for reading.

Dade123
2nd May 2011, 20:01
With 40+ hours done, why have you not completed the written? It now looks like you are cramming to get the written done plus complete your remaining hours in order to take the PTS. You really should have got that out of the way weeks ago.

I switched flight schools due to disagreements with my old instructor. Long story short, he was milking me and never informed me to get the written out of the way asap. I switched around the 25 hour mark. The new school I am with, the instructor informed me that I can take the written whenever I feel I am ready. My question was if there was any online sources that would be of use for when I study.

How many hours of solid ground have you done to date with the Instructor?

Old instructor - 7 hours ground
New instructor - 3 hours ground

Tinstaafl
3rd May 2011, 02:26
Pilot Practice Page (http://www.exams4pilots.org) have mock exams using the FAA's question database. Sometimes it doesn't have the diagram referred to in a question but it's still a good resource.

When it comes to recommending someone for a flight test, the FAA holds the *instructor* accountable for students failing the test. An instructor's pass rate is important. No instructor who values his rating will recommend someone for a test if he's not confident the candidate has a good shot at passing.

zondaracer
3rd May 2011, 08:46
Webexams.com (http://www.webexams.com/)

This site is free. I used it back in the day for my PPL

Dade123
3rd May 2011, 21:34
What Private pilot books/manuals are you working from? Are you using the Cessna supplied kit etc (Ready for Takeoff), Sporty's, Kings etc etc?

To put it into perspective - you could have got your FAA Written done and out of the way within your first 10 hours to then allow you to focus on the Flight training.

-Jeppesen PPL kit

I also had no idea you could do that. My old instructor was only interested in me paying for hours of endless S-turns, turns around a point, and steep turns.

Pilot Practice Page (http://www.exams4pilots.org/) have mock exams using the FAA's question database. Sometimes it doesn't have the diagram referred to in a question but it's still a good resource.

Exactly what I was looking for thank you :ok:

Webexams.com (http://www.webexams.com/)

This site is free. I used it back in the day for my PPL

Appreciate it :ok: