PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Screen U/S

homesick rae
29th Apr 2011, 16:12
Hi There,

Unfortunately dropped the laptop and now the screen is U/S - very psychedelic looking when I switch the laptop on. Of course it needs fixing but my questions is, will it be just as cheap to buy a new laptop?

Any advice welcomed.

Many thanks,

HR

Mr Optimistic
29th Apr 2011, 17:50
Rather depends how old it is and what spec. All swirly colours ?

stumpey
29th Apr 2011, 18:15
You should be able to plug in a separate monitor so as to eliminate the MoBo/Graphics card being faulty as well. You do have everything backed up don't you?

Parapunter
29th Apr 2011, 22:23
Typical lappy screen 50-100 quid depending on the lappy. Expect on average toward the top end of that price range, so you need to work it out depending on the value of the machine.

Tinstaafl
30th Apr 2011, 02:02
Parts, including screens, are usually available on eBay. I've repaired a few laptops that way, including replacing screens.

homesick rae
30th Apr 2011, 11:09
Cheers for the replies - yep all sorts of pretty colours and patterns. It's less than 2 years old Acer. Happy to pay for the repair as I do not have the tech know how to do it myself!

Thanks again.

HR

Mr Optimistic
30th Apr 2011, 14:52
No harm checking it out against a monitor though, ALT F whatever it is.

green granite
30th Apr 2011, 17:03
It's less than 2 years old Acer. Happy to pay for the repair as I do not have the tech know how to do it myself!

Why? Under EU regulations there is a minimum of 2 years guarantee on electrical goods, so take it back armed with a copy of the regulation and demand they fix it for free.

oldbeefer
30th Apr 2011, 17:25
2 Years? Not against accidental damage. House insurance may cover it though.