PDA

View Full Version : British Grand Prix 2011

finals06
8th Oct 2010, 14:04
Does anyone out there have any clue as to what the heliport set-up at Silverstone will be in 2011? Got an enquiry for 30 corporate guests who want to fly in but have had no response from the circuit/Heli Air. These guys plan a year in advance and if I can’t give them answers they will be off to Monaco! We all need to know what is planned and how much it is going to cost!

chopperchappie
19th Oct 2010, 21:29
Hi - When I contacted Heli-Air about flying into Silverstone this year by email I got nothing back - phone them up !

finals06
23rd Oct 2010, 10:12
Made some calls and sent a few emails but have had nothing back. How will the new pit and paddock complex impact on the heliport? Will there be a heliport of any significance in 2011? When will there be an announcement? Come on guys – we all need to know what is going on!

JimBall
23rd Oct 2010, 11:26
Suggest you contact B Ecclestone - I'm sure you'll find him sympathetic to your plight if you continue the same tone used here. On Bernie's "to do" list you'll appear somewhere near to "must sort chemical toilets for camp site."

Very doubtful whether Silverstone or Heli Air would have been told the 2011 detail yet. You see there's this Championship going on and it isn't over yet.

My limited info says that the main heliport as used this year, the one with a proper control tower, will still be used in 11.

However, if you can get Bernie's mobile number, call him about 4am UK time on Sunday. If you get voicemail, make sure you speak your name and number clearly. His hearing isn't what it used to be.

finals06
26th Oct 2010, 20:47
How amusing and witty your reply! For your information, dates already set for 2011 season (to be ratified) and tickets for Silverstone GP on sale now. Hope we hear sooner rather than later.

Sliding Doors
2nd Mar 2011, 10:31
Guess the 'writing was on the wall' after 2010...........

2011-
On site FATO.
9 x landing spots.
NO fuel
NO parking

and a £100 per passenger handling fee from Heliair if you dont have your own chalet and ground staff, in addition to the landing fees

(I wonder if all this will apply to the Heliair aircraft that'll fly in and then conduct the 5 min sight seeing flights :rolleyes:)

See everybody at Turweston then.

Sir Niall Dementia
2nd Mar 2011, 10:51
Going to be interesting to see how the singles are going to operate to a 300 x 30 m FATO in what is effectively a confined area under the terms of the ANO.

SND

Jonathan Penny
2nd Mar 2011, 16:19
What is effectively a confined area under the terms of the ANO?

I'm struggling to find it.

JP

finals06
2nd Mar 2011, 19:45
Surely the proposed site for the heliport this year is on the outside of Silverstone's perimeter fence at the back of the Porsche Centre. Does this constitute an on site FATO? With NO parking or fuel available what's going to happen post race (positioning in) when everyone is itching to get away? And what about all those Robo owners who were so welcome in 2010 - no PPL(H) licence holders permitted in 2011. I can think of at least one BRDC member who wont be very happy about that! So maybe there will be exceptions to the parking rule? That too would hack a few people off!

Helinut
2nd Mar 2011, 21:29
I think the important phrase is "congested area" and its from the Rules of the Air.

ShyTorque
2nd Mar 2011, 21:49
CAP393 dated 14 Apr 10. Section 1 Part 33 Page 5.

'Congested area' in relation to a city, town or settlement, means any area which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes;

finals06
29th Apr 2011, 15:21
Has anyone recently had a chance to look at the new heliport operation at Silverstone for 2011? Last time flew over the top it was a huge mound of earth! Is it going to be ready and licensed for the GP (or the MOTOGP in fact)? I know about the parking and fuel but will they be allowed to accept single engine helicopters? Any feedback would be useful.

JimBall
29th Apr 2011, 17:11
Everyone has to read this (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=4520) and act.

Dragpin
30th Apr 2011, 14:37
Fly into Bicester Helipad, £50 landing fee regardless of type which includes lunch for single crew. Fuel will be cheaper too.

Also watch the race on a big screen.

EESDL
10th Jul 2011, 15:13
couldn't see many choppers this year - nail in the coffin I guess

Camp Freddie
10th Jul 2011, 15:57
Glory days long gone, I reckon it peaked about 2001 !

FloaterNorthWest
10th Jul 2011, 20:52
EESDL,

Was that on the telly or at the circuit?

Because the hold I was in this afternoon certainly had alot of helicopters in.

You won't see it on telly as the Heliport is outside the circuit now.

And one final note. Looking at the traffic jams as I headed home at 3500ft I would say that helicopters may make a come back.

Well done to all at HeliAir :D

FNW

Brilliant Stuff
11th Jul 2011, 11:46
Considering Silverstone has a decent road system now and the runways available have been cut by 50% and you can't park at the circuit anymore except for HeliAir it will be a tad difficult to compete with the late 90's and early oo's. But my sources tell me it was nicely busy this year and on the up.
60 helicopters I am told were parked up at Turweston plus a number of feeder sites.

Anyone got some pictures?

1helicopterppl
11th Jul 2011, 17:21
I concur with Brilliant Stuff, I was working both days with Heliair & what ppruner's need to understand is that Heliair had to work within the confines of the facilities provided by Silverstone circuits, eg the number of courtesy vehicles provided to transfer pax into the circuit & the 'flow' of vehicles over the bridge, there were many more......
ATC were brilliant, approx 1500 movements on race day involving just over 100 heli's. A special mention too for Turweston with a basic air/ground operation which handled over 60 parked heli's plus refuelling & a Heliair shuttle.

All the customer's I spoke to at Silverstone & Turweston said they had a great day & the GP was pretty good too !

CRAZYBROADSWORD
11th Jul 2011, 17:41
took my pax into Turweston they had a slight delay with the 4x4's but not too long and they had a great day!! all at Turweston were very friendly and helpful

cheers all

EESDL
11th Jul 2011, 21:44
FNW
quite correct as I only had tv view.
Had heard that an off-site HLS was the case and glad to hear all appeared to work well and courtesy travel was not a nause.
Should be in the country for it next year although owner of chopper is a BRDC member and pefers to 'Glamp' it for the 3-days.

1helicopterppl
12th Jul 2011, 14:41
some highlights on ; Flickr: graeme_lovell's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/1helicopterppl)

weather dull & bright, sunshine & showers, best pics in afternoon with Sun behind you, unfortunately I was working Turweston in the afternoon !

Ian Corrigible
12th Jul 2011, 14:59
Neat gallery. :ok:

Did I also spot one of the Harrods 76s on the F1 feed from Saturday (qualy), or was that G-URSA?

I/C

1helicopterppl
12th Jul 2011, 17:07
I/C, yes both Harrods 76C's, FULM & WIWI were present.

Ian Corrigible
12th Jul 2011, 17:45
Thanks for confirming. And nice shot of G-SASY, btw.

On a related note: F1 fans, the organizers of the Korean GP want to remind you that this year's race is only 100 days away. And that airbags save lives. (Or something. :E)

Image 1 (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/93/fullj.83958f5f5bf14ecc68404c4ce6c7fb0f/83958f5f5bf14ecc68404c4ce6c7fb0f-getty-_.jpg)

Image 2 (http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/091h3NP3Qmggp/610x.jpg)

I/C

verticalhold
12th Jul 2011, 20:00
Turweston were magnificent:ok: Despite all the extra work they made it seem like they were having fun, and they were bloody well organised.

We were lucky that there had been all the rain last week, the Silverstone FATO was in very poor shape and if it had been dryer then dust and other FOD could have been a problem. One of my pax got off the aircraft and sprained her ankle when she tripped in a hole right by the spot.

The spotters in the Silverstone undershoot caused some questions at Turweston Lunch, and the farcical situation where operators who had spent a lot of money hiring a terminal in the heliport were not allowed to take vehicles to their terminals so that they could unload all the gear they needed must be addressed by next year.

As for the pilots' brief, during that week I'm not in the slightest bit interested in how HeliAir battled on and worked wonders, I want to hear the brief, listen to Helen O'Connor do her ATC bit (I'd love to know why that bit was missed this year) and then sod off back to work ASAP.

Silverstone worked, but there were a lot of niggling irritations, but Turweston should be very proud of themselves (The ham, egg and chips was good and a very good price too)

VH

max roll rate
13th Jul 2011, 12:16
Hi Peeps

I am the airfield manager at Turweston and i would like to say thank you for
all the positive comments about our operation this year, I think our updated procedures worked well and the staff excelled in making this a very efficient and safe airfield to operate from , but a big :ok: to you pilots as well your
Flying also made it safe and enjoyable to watch :D.
If any of you have comments on how we can improve the way we do things next year please let me know .

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk125/turweston/TurwestonBGP2011.jpg

p.s we have a lot of Jet A1 left as some operators did not take fuel which they pre booked so if your passing Turdy and need a splash and dash please drop in

Regards to all Chris Brown

nigelh
13th Jul 2011, 21:55
I fly past the whole time ....you doing a deal on the jetA1 ?????!!!

EESDL
13th Jul 2011, 23:18
yes, for you Nigelh, cash only!!:E

Poltergeist
13th Jul 2011, 23:38
Hi Guys, can you clear something for me? many have said the heliport was on the outside of the circuit but there appeared to be a marked area inside. Was that operational? did it have the capacity of the old heliport?

many thanks from a curious ghost

verticalhold
14th Jul 2011, 07:29
Poltergeist;

What you saw was either the H for the medical helicopter, or the usual circuit heliport for days when its' not the BGP.

The normal heliport could never have coped with all the movements (far too small and tight) so the BGP heliport was just on the outside of the circuit between the Bridge and Stowe.

Chris Brown, do the same again and keep all the staff smiling and laughing the way they did this year and all will be well:ok:

VH

Poltergeist
14th Jul 2011, 11:02
Thanks VH :ok:

Ghostly confusion now sorted. I have attended 7 GP's at Silverstone and watching the old heliports was better than the racing some years :)

P

middles
15th Jul 2011, 09:09
A thought for 2012-----British GP 15th July,commencement of Olympic restricted/prohibited airspace 13th July. Start brushing up on those flight planning skills chaps!

1helicopterppl
15th Jul 2011, 09:48
Chris,

If you can manage to make parked heli's dep on 27 next time it would make my day as they would all dep past the Heliair tent, great photo opportunity !

max roll rate
15th Jul 2011, 11:38
Hi Folks

you were asking about a deal on the fuel so here it is

SPECIAL OFFER:

JET A1 75p / LITRE NO LANDING FEES

Following the British Grand Prix at Silverstone on Sunday 10th July we have surplus stock of fuel we wish to dispose of.

Accordingly we are offering Jet A1 at 75p + VAT per litre with no landing fees until the surplus stock is sold.

PPR:

01280 705400

[email protected]

PPR Request Form (http://www.turwestonflight.com/PPR.htm)