PDA

View Full Version : A very hard landing at London City

studentpilotmcuk
29th Apr 2011, 13:42
Hi all I am not normally one to go onto youtube and then post what I find on youtube on to here. This is one clip, however, I would dearly appreciate some professional feedback from.

YouTube - Extreme Hard Landing BAe-146 London City

What is the normal approach into London City?

Could you estimate the speed of the BAe 146 at touch down?

Do you think that there could have been a emergency either at the level of Pan or Mayday

Would you have declared a missed approach and gone around. (this is probably a stupid question, I agree...)

Many thanks for this

Kind Regards

Stude :ok:

737-NG
29th Apr 2011, 14:22
London City airport has a very steep approach due to noise abatement procedures. The ILS has a 5.5 degree slope, just about twice the normal 3 degree path angle. This results in a final descent at around 1200-1400FPM instead of 600-700 and thus not every pilot is certified to land there. And you have to add the fact that the runways is barely 5000 feet long. So you can guess how difficult the approach can be.

BTW there was obviously a strong crosswind, the PF did not decrab and more importantly did not flare soon enough resulting in several bounces, kinda like a newbie in flying school with his cessna. Luckily enough the gear did not break, and the aircraft did not crash (you can see it leaning to the left god that must have been scary for the passangers)

Hotel Tango
29th Apr 2011, 15:01
And btw, this is old hat and was covered here in PPRuNe sometime ago.

Piltdown Man
30th Apr 2011, 10:05
The only thing that is really different about this airport is the steep approach. This means that not all aircraft can perform the approach and that you may have to carry an additional speed increment to allow you flare. But that's it. 1,199m runway, so what - I hardly ever used the brakes. Runway width of 23m? That just reduces the maximum allowable crosswind. The thing that is really unpleasant about this place is the low level mechanical turbulence. The worst direction is South Westerly. It is quite unpleasant at times and lasts until touchdown. Returning to the clip, this crew didn't flare (enough), failed to de-crab and allowed the nose to drop after the bounce.

PM

Avionker
30th Apr 2011, 10:45
And I believe this incident ended up in a repair bill of around 3 quarters of a million pounds..

WHBM
30th Apr 2011, 18:51
1,199m runway, so what - I hardly ever used the brakes.
Hmm - notably short runway, hardly ever used the brakes, and no reverse provided on the 146/RJ. Is there a secret for us to be let into ?