PDA

View Full Version : Consecutive go-arounds at LHR this morning...

dns
29th Apr 2011, 10:24
Saw 2 go arounds in succession at LHR at about 8:30am, just after an Air Canada 777 had touched down. Both from about 500 feet and following the AC on to 09L.

Anyone know what happened? The 777 looked well clear of the runway at the time.

Artificial Horizon
29th Apr 2011, 10:27
Could have been anything really, the Air Canada may have reported a bird strike or a loss of hydraulic fluid etc...., anything that would require a quick runway inspection would require subsequent go arounds. It happens all the time, I had a go around in EDI when the EasyJet in front hit a rabbit on touchdown, aircraft behind also went around then ops normal after the offending rabbit was removed.:}

SLFguy
29th Apr 2011, 12:08
Musta been hare raising!!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Apr 2011, 12:38
OMG... not another go-around thread!

jackieofalltrades
29th Apr 2011, 13:04

Have to agree HD. Perhaps Mr Cameron could introduce a Go-around Thread Tax so that the treasury could raise some money to pay for the third runway at EGLL?!

airsmiles
29th Apr 2011, 13:16

Well it is a spotter's thread so why not give the guys a break. If they're showing genuine interest in a/c op's why not help them out?

SpringHeeledJack
29th Apr 2011, 16:06
......And 2 in succession would be very unusual, thus piquing curiosity.

BOAC
29th Apr 2011, 16:08
Oh no! Not another "OMG... not another go-around thread!" thread?

cuddieheadrigg
30th Apr 2011, 09:00

I take it this is tongue in cheek: I agree with airsmiles. Now I've had some superb replies from folk on here which are much appreciated, and my geeneral intelligence and grammar doesn't approach a percentage of most on here - but I have to say, if someone is looking for info then even spending a considerable time looking doesn't always provide an answer. An example could be the AF447 search thread. I looked there to see some reference to Apollo 14 and Venus. Unless someone (with huge amounts of time on their hands) has read the threads from post 1 they wouldn't have a chance of guessing what the relevance of Apollo to AF447 is.

I have asked some pretty basic (but at my level) questions only to be asked if I have some sort of agenda? (none other than asking a question!) - but even if the above is a joke, to be honest, PPRune would be far better off restricting membership to those only why work in Aviation and prohibiting Joe Public/Enthusiasts from reading the threads and posting on them at all.

That, or if you haven't anything constructive to add, don't - or don't bother reading the post.

I may be wrong, but looking through some threads there does seem to be a little bit of this sort of stuff never too far away at times and no real reason for it except someone seems hacked of at 'another' samey question or whatever.

Put it another way: as a teenager I had a vast fascination with all things aviation (especially military) and had numbers of books and read voraciously. Once work and other aspects of life took over my aviation interests took the form of the odd airshow or reading a news story, or seeing aircraft overhead all the time when I could be bothered to look. I could not tell the difference between a 737 and A319 most of the time and didn't really care either, and operations wise, nothing went noticed unless it stood out: as specifically for the go around thread: I mentioned and asked on a seperate thread about this: I was sitting on Dechmont Law where it is possible see the runway at Edinburgh: an aircraft passed and by simply gazing at it gliding down to the runway I then saw it 'going around' - I was not sitting waiting on this happening - but when I saw the thread, I remembered this and then asked questions (which were answered well) that have probably cropped up a thousand times before but not for me they haven't.

Anyway, rant over: suffice to say if it were me, in a position to reply with knowledge to a post, do so with courtesy or don't bother.

This post may get me booted off, and so be it - but without wanting to be a trouble maker, is it not time there was some lightening up ?

Avionker
30th Apr 2011, 09:25
I think cuddieheadrigg has a very valid point. If the question is asked in the Spotters Corner then why not answer civilly or not at all? It's what the forum is here for. (With the usual caveat applied of course.)

That is to say if the information they are seeking is readily available in the public domain, and they can't be bothered to look for it, then game on. :E

scanhorse
30th Apr 2011, 09:56
"" Anyway, rant over: suffice to say if it were me, in a position to reply with knowledge to a post, do so with courtesy or don't bother."""

Thanks for posting that

:D

Best Regards

ukdean
3rd May 2011, 13:22
It was a BA shuttle flight that had smoke coming from one of the main landing gear after landing. The aircraft was told to hold position on the taxi way to be inspected. 09L was then closed for an inspection, hence the Go-Arounds. Same aircraft were able to switch to 09R and some were unable.

No problems from the indications in the cockpit, crew did say the aircraft had just come out of maintenance.

No fault was found, aircraft taxied........

:ok:

BOAC
3rd May 2011, 13:26
Well done, ukdean - that has showed some of our 'infiltraitors' how to do it.