PDA

View Full Version : EASA Flight Engineers

b707eng
28th Apr 2011, 17:55
Hi Guys infrequent poster looking for some advice.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but figured I would find more FE's here.

I hold a CAA FE licence for B707-300 which is valid until 2013.
Looking at the proposals for EASE in 2012 it would appear, at first glance, that my National Licence will become invalid and as it is not a JAR FCL I can not convert it to an EASE license.
Any of you guys out there have the same issue? if so is there a fix?
I have emailed policy at the CAA twice and not had a response to even acknowledge my question!

Thanks in advance

b707eng

dixi188
29th Apr 2011, 08:16
I don't find emails very effective. Give them a call at LGW and have a chat with someone in FCL, they are usually quite helpful.

I guess you are operating on a validation supported by your UK license.

UK CAA didn't adopt JAA for FEs as they thought we would all be dead by now.

My UK FE license expires next month but I'm not renewing it as I now have an Irish issued JAA one for the A300.

Good luck.

b707eng
29th Apr 2011, 09:39
dixi188,

Thanks for the reply, I have already tried FCL they had no answer and suggested I contact policy via email.

That is why I tried here instead.

So I guess the supplementary question should be what is the best way to convert my current CAA licence into a JAR FCL in Europe? any help and suggestions would be great.

I am still flying b707's so I have a valid type just need some advice, as the window is closing fast.

b707eng

KBPsen
29th Apr 2011, 10:26
There's only six countries that have adopted JAR-FCL 4. Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, France, Denmark and Sweden.

There is some guidance on what the requirements are for converting a non-JAA license in part 1 of FCL 4. I think they are talking about licences issued by non-JAA member states, so your licence might be easier to convert.

My advice would be to contact one or all of the six states mentioned above and see what they have to say. In your case I would start with the Irish.

Good luck.

b707eng
29th Apr 2011, 11:39
KBPsen,

Thanks for the tip i will get on to the Irish in the first case, but might give the LBA a go as well as I am working over in Germany at the moment.

b707 eng

breakadjuster
1st May 2011, 18:06
Just out of interest I have a flight engineers licence on the 720/707 and many hours with DR Hass's outfit and many other African cargo outfits,including Sport Martin, what outfit are you with??

b707eng
1st May 2011, 18:39
breakadjuster,

I am flying ex Luftwaffe 707's for NATO.
Due out of the military soon and I wish to keep my options open.
Hence the questions about licences post EASA.
Any work out there for a 707 eng?

B707eng

breakadjuster
2nd May 2011, 18:28
Best of luck, however the market at the moment is flooded with wide body engineers, Lots like myself have given up completely and taken alternative employment.
The jobs that are there, unfortunately are with outfits that see safety as a none justifiable cost, hence I have returned to my previous employment as a Ground Engineer. However if you find a private 707 that needs more than 1 Flight Engineer paying more than £60,000 a year with one week on and one off please let me know.
All the best

grizz
2nd May 2011, 18:43
"However if you find a private 707 that needs more than 1 Flight Engineer paying more than £60,000 a year with one week on and one off please let me know"

In your dreams!!!!!

JW411
3rd May 2011, 16:01
Is not the RAF about to replace their 51 Sqn Nimrods with a couple of (even older) ex-USAF 707 J-Stars?

b707eng
4th May 2011, 16:13
They are ex KC135R model aircraft to be converted to RC135R standard. Not the first time I have had to point that out. They are so different from a B707 it would be quicker to tell you what is the same.

b707eng

b707eng
4th May 2011, 18:25
Update,
I had an email from the UK CAA today.
I would like to thank them for the reply, and hope that they don't object to me posting an extract here.

So the answer I have been given is as follows:

[I][The point
that "to convert to an EASA licence one needs to hold a JAR-FCL licence"
does not apply in your case. EASA has made no provision for Flight
Engineers licences within Part-FCL and thus the JAR-FCL4 licence will
cease in April 2012. From April 2012 the National requirements for
Flight Engineers will continue to be applied and therefore there will be
no change to the current CAA Flight Engineer Licence./I]

So it would appear that those FE's that hold a JAR FCL 4 are now in trouble! What say you guys?

TheChitterneFlyer
4th May 2011, 20:16
However if you find a private 707 that needs more than 1 Flight Engineer paying more than £60,000 a year with one week on and one off please let me know.

In your dreams!!!!!

I concur with Grizz!

TCF