PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL to JAA CPL

S-Works
28th Apr 2011, 14:08
Can the holder of an FAA PPL fo direct to the training for a JAA CPL or will they need a JAA PPL first. Looking in FCL1 there is no clear defination that I can see (unless I need new readers!).

For example someone does an FAA PPL then some hour building and the JAA ATPL exams can they then go direct to a JAA CPL?

FlyingForFun
28th Apr 2011, 14:32
No problem at all. LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_LASORS%202010%20Bookmarked.pdf), D1.2(D):The holder of a PPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 (excluding the NPPL) with at least 150 hours flight time as a pilot, may commence an approved JAR CPL(A) Modular Course consisting of.......(Surprised at you, bose - I'd have thought you'd been around long enough to know where to find answers to this kind of question? ;))

FFF
--------------

S-Works
28th Apr 2011, 14:39
FFF. Thanks but I had found the reference in LASORS. It is the reference in JAR FCL that is evading me. The question does not relate to the UK but a more generic JAR FCL question.

I have reviewed JAR FCL1.140 and can see no reference in there to non JAA licence PPL's being used towards a JAA CPL.

FlyingForFun
28th Apr 2011, 14:50
Fair enough. In that case, try JAR-FCL 1 (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/607069.pdf), Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.160 & 1.165(a)(4) - CPL Modular Course, paragraph 2(a):Before commencing a CPL(A) modular course an applicant shall be the holder of a PPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1;FFF
-----------------

(Edit to add - although I don't think it's relevant to your question - that the document I've linked to is Amendment 7 of JAR-FCL. The UK ANO currently recognises Amendment 5 as being the one that should be used in the UK. Except in certain random circumstances where the CAA have decided, without publishing it or telling anyone, that they're using Amendment 7 - but that's a different matter completely.)

S-Works
28th Apr 2011, 14:57
Ah! That was exactly it! Many thanks. Old age is my excuse..... ;)