PDA

View Full Version : File save gone pear shaped

SeldomFixit
28th Apr 2011, 09:27
Win XP, Compaq V6000, fully updated ( might even be a culprit ) - after upgrading paid for version of I Obit Advanced System Care Pro to V4, I can no longer save a file.
If saved to desktop it is just not there - Recent Docs shows the file ok but if selected or properties selected, it says file has been changed or moved etc and won't open.
Search won't find it.
I made a folder to save the files to and saved a test file to there but the whole folder was unable to be found.
Restored to a week previous - same outcome.
At a loss - assistance sought.
Thanks as always
SF

Avtrician
28th Apr 2011, 11:03
Sounds like your system care thingo has not done its job, or maybe done it too well.

Have a look at its settings, you may be able to sort it out. either that uninstall. Also contact the software maker and see if there is a fix..

Do a google search for it (and its forum) ask you question on that forum, they should be of help there.

Tarq57
28th Apr 2011, 11:08
Not at all enthusiastic about the Iobit programs.
Try using the most recent backup the Iobit program (should have) made before the last registry clean operation.

SeldomFixit
28th Apr 2011, 11:10
Thanks both - uninstall already done as is contact to help desk - first reply from them sounded a bit amateur and no help so waiting. restore already done to 1 week prior.

Tarq57
28th Apr 2011, 12:07
Do you mean "restore" as in "system restore", or restore from the Iobit registry backup?

SeldomFixit
28th Apr 2011, 12:15
System restore ( not knowing any better )

Tarq57
28th Apr 2011, 21:56
When uninstalling Iobit, did it prompt you to remove the backups/information/user settings, as well? If those settings and backups were left behind, I'd try reinstalling it and see if you can find an "undo" button somewhere.
I don't really know what else would be the best thing to do.

If you had the backups removed as part of the uninstall routine, it might be tricky.

SeldomFixit
29th Apr 2011, 03:06
I've done a reinstall and unfortunately after the delete, previously, there was no restore point left.
Format C: is looking like an option.:(

Tarq57
29th Apr 2011, 03:38
I doubt it's necessary to do a full format and reinstall of the OS, if you have an XP installation CD one of the options available is to carry out a repair install.
It would mean you'd have a lot of updates to install subsequently (just as with formatting) but it would retain your file system.

green granite
29th Apr 2011, 07:14
Before you do the "format C:" option, can I suggest you un-install it, then download CC cleaner and clear the crap out of the system and then use it to clean the registry. Oh yes and make sure it's not saving them as hidden files or anything by enabling the show hidden files and folders option in explorer

SeldomFixit
29th Apr 2011, 07:55
Thanks - the Format C: was more a threat of suicide, rather than an intention.
File and folders are not hidden and CCleaner has been my friend for a long time. Alas, still no joy nor any constructive comment from IOBit.
So for now I'll keep tinkering and look for support from IOBit and their forum.
Thank you all thus far.
SF:ok:

Tarq57
29th Apr 2011, 08:39
I'd be vaguely interested in how good/active their forum is, if you have the time to post back your observations of it.
Only academic interest, though.

And interested - if you are able to fix it, what it was and how it was fixed, please.

SeldomFixit
29th Apr 2011, 23:37
Ok - nothing sensible received from IOBit support.
Research shows IOBit is a Chinese operation accused by MalwareBytes of having unlawfully used or reverse engineered their product.
I saved a rather important document today only to discover that it too had vanished without a trace.
Conclusion.
IOBit is to be avoided at all costs.
Advanced system care now deleted.
IOBit 360 now deleted.
CCleaner run.
Malwarebytes full scan clean result.
Unable to save any files and retrieve them.
What time is the next bus to square one ?
SF :ugh:

green granite
30th Apr 2011, 07:14
As a last resort open registry editor and check the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

Tarq57
30th Apr 2011, 09:02
You might also want to run an uninstall tool for Iobit.

This is not a vendor-authored tool; it is one put together by Fred de Vries, and available at #17 on This page (http://uninstallers.********.com/).
I would be happy to trust it. The author has posted revisions to this blog for several months on the Avast forum, where it is considered a very useful site for removal tools.)
(Quite a useful resource, that, by the way. Many removal tools.)

GG, I had a look at that key myself, while looking for possible resolutions to this issue. (Got the pointer from Kellys-korner.) The particular key is not present in my own installation, which seems a bit weird. Don't know what it means. But the point is, apparently its non-presence doesn't affect the ability to download/save files.

[edit] the link above fails to work. Forum software seems to forbid the use of the word blog spot. Cut and paste the following in, if you want to open it, then remove the gap in the word blog spot. http://uninstallers.blog spot.com/

green granite
30th Apr 2011, 09:25
GG, I had a look at that key myself, while looking for possible resolutions to this issue. (Got the pointer from Kellys-korner.) The particular key is not present in my own installation, which seems a bit weird. Don't know what it means. But the point is, apparently its non-presence doesn't affect the ability to download/save files.

Agreed, but it's presence with the wrong setting might well do, so it's worth checking.

Tarq57
30th Apr 2011, 09:30
Of course. Ahh.

SeldomFixit
1st May 2011, 08:48
The aforementioned key in not present so will look for the IOBit uninstall as mentioned - thanks - will update when able.
Interestingly not a peep out of IOBit HELP after an initial unhelpful response.
SF :ok:

SeldomFixit
2nd May 2011, 10:25
Have run BitRemover, specifically intended to remove everything the IOBit uninstaller doesn't - still in exactly the same pickle and not a peep out of IOBit Help :ugh:

Tarq57
2nd May 2011, 10:30
What happens if you try to log on using a different account, and attempt to download/save a file to desktop (or anywhere) on that account?

(Sorry for the lack of good help, here. I'm just peering into the dark, and none too bright myself.)

Spurlash2
2nd May 2011, 18:47
1. File permissions incorrect?

Or...

Is it being saved to C documents & settings\administrator\desktop, for some reason?

Try looking in C documents & settings\all users\desktop

SeldomFixit
4th May 2011, 09:52
Thanks for your input chaps - looked under all possible users and files, once saved, have just gawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn !!!
I appreciate the suggestions and thank you all.
Cheers
SF

Tarq57
4th May 2011, 10:36
Tried showing hidden files?
Long shot but worth a try, possibly.
Control Panel>folder options>view, and move the check dot to "show hidden files and folders".

If that works, the next step would probably be to find out why they are being saved as "hidden".

green granite
4th May 2011, 10:44
If you open/create a document and then select 'save as' the dialogue box should give you the path to where it's going to save it, if it's not where you want it you can change it, worth a try.

Mike-Bracknell
4th May 2011, 16:07
To be honest, it'd be a LOT quicker to blat the machine and start again after moving the files you want to keep to a removable disk.

There's troublesome issues that are easy to fix, and there's troublesome issues that are damn difficult to fix. This one sounds closer to the latter, and hence your efforts are probably better spent rebuilding (with all the benefits that gives) than trying to repair and never knowing fully whether it's fixed.

SeldomFixit
5th May 2011, 10:32
Files not hidden - path ( several paths ) tried and still gawwwnnnnnnnnn !!
I don't wish to sound defeatist ( no cheese eating retreaters here !!! - snort ) but I suspect mike is on the money.
I may just go for a fresh new format and enjoy the ( shortlived, no doubt ) benefits of that.
For My tuppence worth though, cross the street to avoid IOBit stuff. :=
Thanks again
SF :ok: