PDA

View Full Version : Hawks Grounded

Curvic Coupling
28th Apr 2011, 07:20
Hawk TMk1 & 2 Fleet grounded following aileron control incident yesterday.

Lockstock
28th Apr 2011, 07:31
They'll do a fleet check, hopefully find them satis and then they'll be back flying again soon. Don't worry.

c130jbloke
28th Apr 2011, 08:11
Danger close on the above TROLL !!!!:eek:

Curvic Coupling
28th Apr 2011, 08:22
Confirmed as maintenance error, UTI in course of issue.

Off Hot
28th Apr 2011, 08:52
I realise my profile still bears the devil's sign, however is there anyone else thinking this is a little bit too much info from CC at this stage?

If it is what you are insinuating it will be a very serious, but more importantly emotive and sensitive, issue, which needs to be conducted properly, and to a certain extent, privately.

Please give the process and people involved due respect.

Before the masses start, no, I know nothing, I haven't been to the Ynys in many years and long may it stay that way!

airpolice
28th Apr 2011, 08:53
Am I missing something here?

After 35 years and gazillions of hours of servicing, there are people at the sharp end of a Valley spanner who can't do it right.

More worrying is that someone else signed it off.

What's in the new instructions that wasn't in the old instructions I wonder.

Seldomfitforpurpose
28th Apr 2011, 09:15
Yes you are missing something, people have been making mistakes since time began and will continue to make mistakes till time is complete, none of that is difficult to understand :ok:

Halton Brat
28th Apr 2011, 09:39
Without wishing to pre-judge this incident, I am reminded of Flt Lt Simon Burgess. Having survived being shot down/POW in GW1, he died during unsuccessful ejection from a 4FTS Valley Hawk in 1996. Non-documented Aileron control run disconnection during maintenance was the root cause. I hope that the cause of this new incident is swiftly found. Glad all ended well this time.

Disclaimer: This is neither an accusation or a proposed cause of this recent incident; merely an observation, based on a historical event which is in the public domain.

Krystal n chips
28th Apr 2011, 10:48
" Am I missing something here?

Just about every modern concept and practice of Flight Safety...see your comments below

After 35 years and gazillions of hours of servicing, there are people at the sharp end of a Valley spanner who can't do it right.

Really ?.....nothing like being judgemental based on, I assume, absolutely NO knowledge as to what the causal factors pertaining to this incident are...to your way of thinking however, it's clearly a maintenance error caused by an engineer who failed to connect the ailerons correctly...so that's the issue solved, paperwork completed and all done and dusted....is it ?..:ugh::ugh:

More worrying is that someone else signed it off.

Correct but only in as much as an independent / duplicate check is madatory for any disturbance of a control run....how do you know this was the case?

Jurrasic Park must be a wonderful location for you. :rolleyes:

Capt P U G Wash
28th Apr 2011, 11:04
a check before next flight is not a grounding - watch your language new boy!

Dengue_Dude
28th Apr 2011, 11:28
Presumably you only need ailerons if you're going to fly . . .

Great way of saving money :)

Madbob
28th Apr 2011, 15:16
My pre-take off vital actions, irrespective of ac type, include "full & free movement of the controls......in the correct sense".

It is supposed to be more than simply stirring the pot and wiggling one's toes.....it means looking out the cockpit or checking in the mirrors that the controls surfaces did the right things.

I'm happy to say my tally of take-off's is equal to my landlings, and I intend to keep it that way.

MB

Off Hot
28th Apr 2011, 15:35
Well bully for you MadBob aren't you a legend?

:D

You're clearly infallible to all the human errors the rest of us are prone to, despite best practice and diligence. Oh and completely immune from emergencies arising during flight, which are out of your control.

Ladies and gents, we might have found the one...
:ugh:

High_Expect
28th Apr 2011, 15:50
MB... Its a shame for Valley that you aren't a QFI there with that level of airmanship I'm sure sure you could teach them a thing or two. Or perhaps, as is the case, the incident is not as you have assumed.

Oh and by the way feel free to pop over and stand on the grave of the guy who died as a result of the last 'control' issue at Valley..... You t*t!

BEagle
28th Apr 2011, 19:21
Sunrise on the day that XX164 crashed was 0741, take-off was planned for 0745.

My suspicion is that in the chilly dark of an Angelsey February morning, quite probably with mist on the inside of the canopy, it would have been very difficult to see the control surface movement when moving the control column.....

PPRuNe Pop
28th Apr 2011, 19:58
This thread gents, is the fastest on record (I think) to derail and run off into a pissing contest. So, its closed. Someone, who knows what they are talking about, and some do, can start another but if it degrades like this one.........

Think about it please. The subject IS, of course, of interest but jumping to conclusions or faintly guarded aspersions is a goner.