PDA

View Full Version : The Good Old British Stiff Upper Lip

Melchett01
27th Apr 2011, 16:55
Apologies if this has been seen before, but more light hearted post in amongst the doom and gloom and following on from Rear Admiral Nicholas Goodhart's Daily Telegraph obituary and the comment of 'they don't make them like that any more'.

Said obituary triggered a memory of something a golfing chum showed me not too long ago which described the 'actions on' at Richmond Golf Club in case of enemy air raid, and outline the 'temporary rules' in 1940 to deal with any such inconveniences should they be encountered during play, and which I'm sure RAdm Goodhart would have approved of:

1. Players are asked to collect Bomb and Shrapnel splinters to save these causing damage to the mowing machines.

2. In competitions, during gunfire, or while bombs are falling, players may take cover without penalty for ceasing play.

3. The positions of known delayed-action bombs are marked by red flags placed at reasonably, but not guaranteed safe distance therefrom.

4. Shrapnel and or bomb splinters on the fairways, or in bunkers within a club’s length of a ball may be moved without penalty, and no penalty shall be incurred if a ball is thereby caused to move accidentally.

5. A ball moved by enemy action may be replaced, or if lost or destroyed, a ball may be dropped not nearer the hole without penalty.

6. A ball lying in a crater may be lifted and dropped not nearer the hole, preserving the line to the hole without penalty.

7. A player whose stroke is affected by the simultaneous explosion of a bomb may play another ball from the same place. Penalty, one stroke.

'Keep Calm and Carry On' indeed!:ok:

SASless
27th Apr 2011, 17:10
A player whose stroke is affected by the simultaneous explosion of a bomb may play another ball from the same place. Penalty, one stroke.

Now that is a real bummer.....Jerry drops a thousand pounder at the Ladies Tee....and you hack yer Drive....and incur a penalty stroke!:uhoh:

(The penalty is probably due to improper attire!)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Apr 2011, 17:40
The penalty was doubtless for being disturbed by enemy fire, and rightly so. Never happened in my day, LMF etc.
My God, chaps will be allowed to duck next, then where will it end?
Might as well be French....

Chugalug2
27th Apr 2011, 20:41
This is a tale of heroic modesty indeed, for if Goering had not switched his onslaught away from Fighter Command's Airfields and Control and Reporting System onto the Home Counties Golf Clubs wherein the Upper and Middle Classes led their supposedly pampered and effete lifestyle then history might have played out very differently.
It is ironic that the words set to "Colonel Bogey" by British Propaganda were supposed to suggest that the Nazi leadership indulged themselves similarly on Teutonic fairways rather than the more base interpretation placed on them by the "lower orders".

airpolice
27th Apr 2011, 21:02
Fox3 wrote
Never happened in my day, LMF etc.
My God, chaps will be allowed to duck next, then where will it end?
Might as well be French....

And that did make oi larf out loud!:D

Al R
30th Apr 2011, 07:49
Love it. I wonder what modern Elf an' Safety guidance would say..?

1. Players are asked to collect Bomb and Shrapnel splinters to save these causing damage to the mowing machines.

2. In competitions, during gunfire, or while bombs are falling, players may take cover without penalty for ceasing play.