PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Fat Fuel

green granite
27th Apr 2011, 08:08
"NASA recently performed emissions testing on alternative, renewable fuels for a greener and less petroleum-dependent future. The search for alternative fuels is driven by environmental concerns as well as a desire for reduced reliance on foreign sources.

A team at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center in California tested renewable biofuel made from chicken and beef tallow in one of the four engines of a DC-8 airplane.
The airplane remained on the ground during the test, known as the Alternative Aviation Fuels Experiment, or AAFEX, while aeronautics researchers measured the fuel's performance in the engines and examined the engine exhaust for chemicals and contamination that could contribute to air pollution. The test results seem to support the idea that biofuels for jet engines are indeed cleaner-burning, and release fewer pollutants into the air."

Full article: NASA - Chicken Fat Fuel Emissions Look Cleaner, Greener (http://www.nasa.gov/topics/aeronautics/features/aafex_biofuels.html)

jibba_jabba
27th Apr 2011, 09:26
yep, but its a net energy loser......
I say this because you need more land to make ethanol or bio fuels than the net output you will receive. It may help but given that TONS of fuel are burnt in a single sortie/sector then you will only contribute a VERY small percentage to the total kero consumed.

we are very oil dependent and will never be able to replace it as an energy source. Our entire infrastructure is based on it. Community is lacking and it will need to be more localy focused to survive the massive price hikes that are on the way (predicted peak oil around 2012 - 2025)

look up Matt simons (an energy investment banker)
also look up Michael Ruppert for some interesting view points.
You should be able to find them on youtube.

AerialNinja
28th Apr 2011, 05:04
Interesting idea, but I don't think it'll work

Noah Zark.
10th May 2011, 18:35
Chicken Fat Fuel

Is it cheep? :}

Panama Jack
13th May 2011, 05:43
It will be interesting. Waiting #6 in line for takeoff behind one of those, smelling it and having your mouth water while you think of Coronel Sanders' secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices.

onetrack
13th May 2011, 15:06
I can't wait for the next Govt-sponsored report involving green aviation alternatives... such as fixing chicken feathers to wings and ailerons, to vastly improve lift and control response.... :E

747 forever
26th May 2011, 10:55
yeah but some countries are on projects to be carbon neutral, what would happen to passenger jets? countries cannot not have passenger jets. Thats a huge problem

Miles Magister
7th Jun 2011, 08:27
Bio fuel use for reduced emissions is difficult to justify depending on who you talk to.

During a recent conversation, with a senior executive of a very active world wide charity who regularly meet at senior goverment level, I was informed that the biggest CO2 emitters are the USA, China then forrest burning in Brazil and Peru combined. He stated that 35% of the worlds CO2 emmissions are from burning the rain forrests in Brazil and Peru which are being cleared mostly for grain and palm oil farming to make bio fuels!

I am sure there are other opinions available.

MM

Memetic
13th Jun 2011, 01:59
@ Miles Magister and jibba_jabba

Bio fuel produced from material that would otherwise be waste is however more viable and if the conversion and use results in a net reduction in Methane production and fossil fuel Carbon emissions it could be useful.