View Full Version : Multi Engine other country as modular ATPL theory ?

digits_
26th Apr 2011, 14:34
Hello All,

I have a Belgian JAR PPL (and IR and CPL soon). I did my ATPL theoretical exams a few months ago, and I'm contemplating to do my multi engine part in an other JAR country. Is this allowed without the need to retake any theoretical exams ?

Anybody a suggestion for a cheap ME school? I've heard some good things about P2006T Tecnam twins.

Thank you very much,
Kind regards,
Digits

zondaracer
26th Apr 2011, 15:32
Yes, you can do the ME in another country. As for cheap... Relatively speaking, Florida at a JAA school although the cost of airfare may negate the cost savings, or Spain like Aerodynamics or Aerofan. I cant speak for anywhere else. Just out of curiosity, how much is the ME in Belgium?

digits_
26th Apr 2011, 15:41
It depends on the school of course, but around 9000 eur (exams,tax and administration fees etc included).

I just can't figure out how this works if for example I would get my spanish ME and would want to add this to my Belgian license. Just take the paper from the spanish examinator to Belgium and they add it? I suspect there might be a little bit more to it :sad:

Thanks for the schools, I'll look into it.

zondaracer
26th Apr 2011, 16:48
I'm not sure how it would work with the Belgian authorities, but with the UK authorities, there is a form that you have them fill out and you send in. The UK CAA is responsible for adding it to the licence. But JAA/EASA rules allow for adding ratings from other member countries, and your country of licence issue is responsible for the rating on your licence.

digits_
26th Apr 2011, 16:52
Another problem I see now, is that most of the "other schools" combine ME/IR together. So I can choose for a ME VFR or a ME IFR. The ME IFR assumes zero IFR knowlege, while I'll have a CPL + SE IFR.

Yes yes, one European system ! :rolleyes:

Linda Mollison
27th Apr 2011, 09:06
To add a Multi Engine Piston Class Rating to your CPL you will need to do a 6 hour MEP course.

To upgrade your SE IR to a ME IR you will need to do a 5 hour single engine to multi engine IR upgrade course, but you cannot do this until after you have done your MEP course.

Linda