PDA

View Full Version : Itunes over multiple computers

ex_matelot
26th Apr 2011, 13:43
I've just got myself and Mrs a couple of Iphones. We have 2 laptops and a PC (all Win7) at our disposal. Currently, I have been using the PC for my Itunes account and my wife has been using a laptop for hers.

I would like to be able to have my Itunes account on any computer that's convenient for me (plug in phone, updates etc etc). My wife's Itunes is on a Vista hard drive that I took out of this laptop and replaced with a Win7 installed one.

I don't have a hard drive cradle, I would have to physically remove this HD and reinstall the vista one to access my wife's Itunes.

Is it possible to just plug an Iphone into a fresh Itunes install that's been authorised and simply sync from the phone to Itunes? Is it possible to have one Itunes install but multiple users?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mixture
26th Apr 2011, 13:58
ex_matelot,

You may access your iTunes account from as many computers as you wish, but you may only authorise up to five computers from the point of view of the actual intellectual property content (i.e. music files etc.).

In order to do so, all you need to do is install iTunes as normal, and then either run/restore a backup or just copy the content across to the appropriate directories. You can do that through whatever means you like.... USB drive, burn a CD/DVD, share a folder over crossover, LAN or WLAN.

See here also (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1420)

Dalex64
27th Apr 2011, 02:17
iTunes will let you share libraries between computers, over a network.

AFAIK you can not populate the media library on a PC from the iPhone.

mixture
27th Apr 2011, 08:15
iTunes will let you share libraries between computers, over a network.

That may be the case, but seeing as most people omit to do backups as often as they should, I would suggest having multiple independent copies is a safer route.... :cool:

AFAIK you can not populate the media library on a PC from the iPhone.

AFAIK this is correct. Its part of copyright protection.

ex_matelot
27th Apr 2011, 14:45
Thanks Mixture, the link helped me sort it. I simply copied my Itunes folder from the PC and swapped it for the one on the laptop. To get around my wife using the laptop for her Itunes I created another windows account and used another Itunes on that. Then I enabled home sharing on all computers.

There's probably a better way but this sorted it for me.

Thanks.

:ok:

Big Bad D
27th Apr 2011, 16:57
Agree with suggestion for multiple independent copies, and have found iTunes Home Sharing to be simplest method to every now and again identify what tracks are not synced and transfer them between 2 Macs, both iTunes authorised.