PDA

View Full Version : Just a hello and to ask who just flys for fun

Hexadecimal
25th Apr 2011, 17:40
Hi all,

Been lurking a while and thought I would actually take the time to introduce myself and at the same time ask a question.

Based in the UK, Worcester area and just learning to fly now as time now allows (34 years old - why when i say that do I feel like I should be giving my sex and what i'm looking for in a date :8). Not aiming to go commercial, just doing it for the fun.

I see that there is a lot of professionals on here and a few guys that are aiming to go that way, but I assume there must be some of us that do this just for fun?!

Anyway, look forward to getting to know you guys better and no doubt I'll be asking some random questions as time goes on.

Cheers all

Hex

MileHi480B
26th Apr 2011, 03:55
I would say I fly mostly for fun and enjoyment.

GS-Alpha
26th Apr 2011, 08:03
I fly helicopters purely for fun.

griffothefog
26th Apr 2011, 09:20
HD, Welcome to Rotorheads.

I do it just for fun as well... But somewhere along the way I lost my marbles and now have to get paid to do it :{

Suck it dry buddy and enjoy every minute :ok:

henrymonster
26th Apr 2011, 15:45
I fly just for fun. There is alot of people who do. It addictive.

Seymour Belvoir
26th Apr 2011, 20:42
I fly for fun too, luckily I also get paid for it!

Good luck!

topendtorque
26th Apr 2011, 21:39
It's got to be fun otherwise it'd be robbing byanks for me.
pay? the boss is lousy bloody payer.

Heli-Jock
27th Apr 2011, 12:37
I fly for fun and thoroughly enjoy it,,,,,,,if i didn't,,,,i wouldn't be flying,,,,oh and er,,,i get paid for it too! Win Win! :ok:

HJ

Peter-RB
27th Apr 2011, 12:59
I fly just for the kick I get that tells me I am one of the new Few, in previous part of early life I brought up a tribe of 5, shot game and clays, played with the Oval ball and loved the smell of Leather, Linseed and mown grass, crashed cars at large rate of knots and sometimes had a sherbet or two...................

............................But vertical flight and the ability to make the Bumble bee go where you want it, is to me the crowning Glory of all extra sexual sporting things that I have ever taken part in, and after all that today is my 64th Birthday so I am just about to have a few tiffins from a Bottle called Gordon, and then hopefully my Co pilot will give me my prezzie !!:D

PeterR-B

VfrpilotPB

Hexadecimal
27th Apr 2011, 17:46
So the trick is to get someone to pay for me for the time I'm enjoying myself then ;)

Unfortunatly it is just the fact I want to do this and not because I see any payment in the future, the upside is I am getting the lessons etc paid for from my business... Its a nessasary training course you understand :ok:

Ohh Peter Ive done the leathers (still do) and Ive had some lovely car crashes (I find as I get older it takes longer to heal up and I ache more tho :)) I just hope not to drop out of the sky at any point :)

Gordy
27th Apr 2011, 18:18
We ALL do it for the fun..I am one of the professional pilots of which you speak, who just happens to earn a living from it. Hopefully we are ALL professionals--after all, it is just an attitude.

James Michener said it best:

The Master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence in whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he is always doing both.---

I will leave it for others to decide if I am "playing" or not....

Hex---welcome to the world of play....

Rotorgoat8
28th Apr 2011, 17:02
Gordy,

Excellent quote from Michener. It was passion from day one and will be to the grave!

22to355
29th Apr 2011, 12:41
I fly for fun but I'm lucky enough to get paid for it! The best job and most amazing office in the world. :)

HelipadR22
29th Apr 2011, 17:40
I'm flying for fun at the moment, but would love something more to come of it. I'm almost 20 hours in, hoping to get my PPL in another 6 months. Training as money allows at the moment though (Anybody want to buy a hardly used 08 BMW 118d? :D )

Don't happen to need another employee that would need that compulsory training do you? ;)

John R81
29th Apr 2011, 17:53
I hold a PPL not a CPL so can't get paid. Must be flying just for the fun of it.

Hexadecimal
1st May 2011, 20:23
Don't happen to need another employee that would need that compulsory training do you? ;)

Depends what you do for a living and what your skill set is, always jobs for the right people ;)

Luckily I'm not at the stage where I'm wanting to sell the car for lessons (tho the way petrol prices are :hmm: )

I'm glad there are people out there that do this purely for the enjoyment... makes me feel a little less ecentric. :)

HelipadR22
3rd May 2011, 22:09
Since I'm mainly doing it for fun I've been selling my old toys to pay for the new hobby. Luckily I have an understanding wife, she got fed up of hearing me talking about helicopters and bought me my first lesson :D

What are you flying?

parasite drag
4th May 2011, 08:13
One plus point of 'just' having a ppl(h) and flying for fun as I do is that YOU choose the weather that you fly in :ok:

Aucky
4th May 2011, 10:46
One plus point of 'just' having a ppl(h) and flying for fun as I do is that YOU choose the weather that you fly in

I fly for fun and get paid for it :O BUT I also choose the weather I fly in! perhaps a pro of instruction over charter work (less commercial pressure), either way no-one but YOU should ever decide what weather you fly in := thats when accidents happen :ugh: Perhaps i'm naive and lucky that my companies policy is that it's always up to the PIC, but hopefully it's like that elsewhere?!

Peter-RB
4th May 2011, 13:41
Hey Parasite Drag,

I always flew if possible on Frosty winter days or early morning good summer wx, otherwise distance vision is totally buggered by all the haze in summer and cloud in winter, plus in the frost you get more bang for your bucks with the piston jobs..!

PeterR-B.....:ok:

Hexadecimal
4th May 2011, 21:29
Luckily I have an understanding wife, she got fed up of hearing me talking about helicopters and bought me my first lesson :D

The wife bought my first trial lesson as well, so as such sanctioned the whole affair. ;)

I'm learning in a R22 and untill ive passed and friends trust me will be for a while :).
Worked out this week how to get this hovering lark under control, so its press on then get some fun trips under the belt. :)