PDA

View Full Version : A Ubuntu / Win XP Dual Boot Prob

Guest 112233
24th Apr 2011, 19:18
Hello everyone. This is just a quicky I hope.

I Have a Win XP Pro / Ubuntu 10.10 dual boot Vostro 1310.

As the Ubuntu goes back to version 9.05. I use Grub to dual boot the system. (I.e no Wubi )

The problem is simple: As the various versions have been installed, the boot options list; that I have to go through, has got longer and longer.

Is there an easy way around this problem.

CAT III.

Keef
24th Apr 2011, 20:21
From memory (my Linux machine went in the clear-out) you can edit the boot file that Grub refers to. Just take out (or "comment out") the lines you don't need.

Mine offered me the Linux flavours I had installed, plus XP, and booted to a default after 20 seconds. Easy!

Shandy52
24th Apr 2011, 20:58
If you're on Ubuntu 10.10, you're presumably on GRUB 2. The procedure for editing the boot menu in this is changed from earlier versions - see Grub 2 Basics - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275) , in particular item 7. Essentially, references to old kernels in the boot menu can be removed by uninstalling the old kernels themselves.

BOAC
24th Apr 2011, 21:03
Mine boots just fine using boot.ini using the appropriate install function of Ubuntu.

Guest 112233
24th Apr 2011, 21:22
Keef & BOAC Thanks.

I will edit the entries in Grub - I just needed a confermation of the best way.

CAT III

AdLib
1st May 2011, 21:51
Editing the Grub menu does remove the options but leaves the old kernels cluttering up your harddrive.

If you want to clean out the old versions - open the "Synaptic Package Manager" and remove the old versions of the kernel (Quick Search "linux headers" and select the appropriate version numbers). Keep the last 2 or 3 just in case. Ubuntu Grub menu will automatically reconfigure. Once you've finished do a "sudo apt-get autoremove" to get rid of any un-needed packages.

Guest 112233
2nd May 2011, 13:05
Yep I tried editing out the entries in the grub menu file - No luck just as Adlib has said - it did not work.

Thanks Adlib I will do as you have suggested and post news of my results

CAT III

delta-p
18th May 2011, 16:21
An easier way is to install Ubuntu Tweak, then go to Applications, Package cleaner and then select Clean Kernels.

Guest 112233
19th May 2011, 09:09
delta-p I will try this out. PS I have not had the chance to get at the Dell and try adlib's idea out fully - I think it will work - I had a quick search for Linux Headers in package manager and found a number, each about 80 MB in size. I will carefully make a note of the last 3 revisions and remove the rest.

Oupdate\;

Success : old headers removed by Ubuntu Tweek - A handy application.

CAT III