PDA

View Full Version : Licenses and employment. Some honest advice required

proudfishead
24th Apr 2011, 14:25
I am hoping for some honest advice from those who have recently (last 5 years or so) made the transition from military to civilian aviation. For a number of reasons, primarily the impending post-EASA 2012 changes & the current state of the MOD, I am considering a move to civilian aviation. It is something I always planned to do, I have now simply decided to do it slightly early.

My questions are:

1. What are the employment prospects in commercial airline aviation at present. I am aware that BA have "turned on" the managed path again.

For reference:
15 years service
RN RW Pilot
2,600 hours total time
1,100 SEP (mostly prior to joining RN)
1,500 hours multi-crew, glass cockpit rotary (EH101)
CAA accredited MCC
I currently have a valid CPL(A) and will self fund the IR
All ATPL exams passed

2. Upon award of the IR, making me a CPL/ME/IR with all ATPL exams passed, and greater than 1500 hours fixed wing, am I eligible for award of an ATPL, rather than "frozen" (I understand there is no such thing, but you know what I mean).

3. Does anyone have a strong recommendation for an IR trainining organisation in the South West. I have heard good things about Airways Flight Training at Exeter.

I am just looking for some genuine advice from those who have far more experience in this area than me. I don't want to open any RN/RAF debates, nor the "why do military pilots think they have the right to walk straight into commercial jobs". I fully appreciate that the skillset I have will require modification and a great deal of further education if I am to embark on a succesful (second) career in commercial aviation.

Thanks, in advance.

Tourist
24th Apr 2011, 16:25
No you will not get an ATPL until you have 500hrs in a multi pilot type plus a multi pilot IR.
Lasors lists multi pilot types

Radhaz
24th Apr 2011, 16:34
Can't speak for any other places, but I was very happy with AFT for my IR - a very friendly bunch and good training.

Runaway Gun
24th Apr 2011, 17:00
Quite obviously, it's far more advantageous to have your licences yesterday, when applying for a job, rather than saying you'll probably have them later in the year. Get them sorted ASAP.

proudfishead
24th Apr 2011, 17:01
Tourist - VMT, I did read that I can count 50% of my multi-crew rotary time to all of the required ATPL hours figures, including the total hours requirement, so at least it shouldn't be too long a period.

Radhaz - that seems to back up what a few others have said. Thanks.

time2leave
24th Apr 2011, 17:08
Good luck with the transition. For what it is worth I found AFT to be excellent and very keen to only do what you needed. This extended to a SEP validation to allow me to knock of 4 hrs p1 and qualify as a QSP(A).
As was alluded to earlier even if you have all the hrs you need a Multipilot IR, so unless you plan on self-funding through a TRTO for say A320 you will have a CPL i'm afraid.
I've been out 3 years and it is brutal but you can get on and there are companies that recognize you and your ability rather than just the fact that your have the right type rating.

proudfishead
24th Apr 2011, 17:10
Runaway-gun,

Absolutely agree. I will be doing the Multi IR in short order, which (from what Tourist has said, and re-reading LASORS) will mean I will have a "frozen" ATPL upon application and require 250 hours to be issued with an ATPL; I would imagine that to be within the first six months of commencing flying, if succesful.

Thanks,

PFH

I'm Off!
25th Apr 2011, 10:07
Airways are great, give Brian a call and have a chat, but I can't recommend them strongly enough. Top bunch of guys and very familiar with ex-Mil types.

Tourist
25th Apr 2011, 10:13
I'm not sure, but I don't think you can count rotary towards the 500 multi crew. You certainly couldn't a couple of years ago.

deltahotel
25th Apr 2011, 13:23
No useful input on the quickest/easiest/cheapest way to a licence, I'm afraid - much better and more recent minds than mine on this site. However, recruiting is slowly picking up. A lot of airlines are looking for TR pilots - quite an extra outlay. CTC are a commercial organisation and are not doing anything for the good of their souls. The hard part is the first job, for which you need a licence, a medical, a pulse and a big chunk of luck. My advice?

Accept that the RAF as a provider of pilots to the commercial world is small and getting smaller - which does not mean that you will not be valued, just that as a source of pilots it's shrinking.

Target - send CVs only to companies you are prepared to work for. This list may grow as the rejections come in!

Network, network, network. Be a complete tart and use all your mates in the airlines. Every HR dept/chief pilot has a stack of CVs - a recommendation can make their lives simple. This can only ever get an interview - the rest is up to you.

Accept that the first job may not be a jet. eg I know that Atlantic (small but good night freight TP company) are recruiting.

Be prepared to relocate or spend a lot of time travelling. I know it sounds an easy thing for servicemen/women, but often you're moving on at about the time moving is less enticing - schools/spouse career/housing.

Be open minded. Charter is tiring and hard work, esp in the Summer. Long haul is good for the logbook, but probably poor for health and families. Loco good for logbook, but fatiguing and you have to deal with the likes of MO'L. Night freight (my field) is easy work, but sleep patterns are a bugger (on the other hand NFP - no passengers!)

Hope some of this helps - PM if you wish. All the best to you and any other leavers.

DH