PDA

View Full Version : Start up problem

lasernigel
24th Apr 2011, 11:07
At the moment I can only start in safe mode with networking.
If I try to start up normally, although I press control alt delete, I get no password box, but I do in safe mode. Also before when I tried to open IE when I could log on the computer froze. I have gone back to a prevoius restore point but no luck. Any ideas anybody?

jimtherev
24th Apr 2011, 11:19
You have tried a conventional restart from Safe mode? i.e. 'Start Button', 'shut down', choose 'restart'.

lasernigel
24th Apr 2011, 11:52
Yes same problem, get the command to control alt delete but no password box comes up.

Saab Dastard
24th Apr 2011, 12:18
It sounds like something is interfering with the logon GINA.dll - the fact that you also had problems with IE authentication (although not directly connected) is suspicious.

What OS are you running? If XP, can you do a search for *gina.dll, and also check the contents of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon - if there is any statement in there pointing to a gina.dll, that could indicate malware.

The default GINA is msgina.dll, and the current version is 974 KB (997,376 bytes), 14 April 2008, 05:42:00, version is 5.1.2600.5512 (Microsoft).

SD

lasernigel
24th Apr 2011, 18:34
Managed eventually to log on and made restore point back up from last week and reloaded. Think it's OK but won't turn off until IT guy from US can remotely look tomorrow.

Thanks