PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to a Royal Rotorhead!

whoateallthepies
24th Apr 2011, 05:07
I'm pleased Prince William has become a Rotorhead and I'd like to start this thread where other Rotorheads can pass their congratulations on to him and Kate. (I'm sure Crab will make sure he sees these messages!)

All the best from an ex-22 bloke!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_6sDYRTvw520/TaVOAlq8kZI/AAAAAAAAAEs/5mDPSLMHHG8/pie.jpg

FLY 7
24th Apr 2011, 06:51
And his little brother should also be on here - BBC News - Prince Harry promoted to captain in British army (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13104439)

Tangoromeo
24th Apr 2011, 07:08
I wish the couple all the best for the future and congratulate Prince William for his contribution to RAF Valley's recent "Take your Nan to work day"!

hands_on123
24th Apr 2011, 07:10
If you want to express political opinions, feel free to do so in Jetblast.

ShyTorque
24th Apr 2011, 07:46
How sad the green eyed monster... :rolleyes:

Edit: The post above, which comment I referred to, has thankfully been edited out by a moderator.

HeliChopter
24th Apr 2011, 08:03
Anyone who flies helis probably has "being born into the right family" to thank. If they didn't finance you they certainly gave you the genes and one presumes an education that made it possible for you to eventually handle the mechanical bumble bee!

Give the lad a break, he could have chosen to stay at home with the family cash, instead he's putting his neck on the line.

Oh, yeah, nearly forgot, congratulations to the pair!

p.s. Seems the original post I was replying too has already been moderated!

Whirlygig
24th Apr 2011, 08:46
Who'd a thought it - an RAF helicopter pilot and lass from Thatcham, Berks. :ok:

Congratulations to William and Kate.

Cheers

Whirls

Epiphany
24th Apr 2011, 09:29
Well done mods.

Congratulations to them both.

Art of flight
24th Apr 2011, 09:41
Not sure where politics comes into wishing him well? but as 123' mentioned it, perhaps a monarchy that hasn't a clue about the armed forces would be a better option? All professionals on here will know those 2 guys have joined the club with hard work whilst being born to lead a life most of us really wouldn't want.

So I say congratulations!

24th Apr 2011, 12:10
Let's hope they have been practising their moves as seen here

YouTube - The T-Mobile Royal Wedding (http://youtu.be/Kav0FEhtLug)
:):):):)

Apparently some of our transatlantic brethren thought this was real;)

SASless
24th Apr 2011, 12:43
I am trying to grasp the image of a "Helicopter Pilot" sat on a real Throne!:oh:

This must prove the Almighty has a sense of humour!:D

I will attend that Coronation!:ok:

S76Heavy
24th Apr 2011, 15:35
I wish them all the best, although with the divorce rate among our trade...

Indeed, a sense of humour shown by the Big Boss.

g-mady
24th Apr 2011, 16:52
Congratualtions to them both!

Catherine is a stunner :ok:

MADY

griffothefog
24th Apr 2011, 17:04
As my old mate Red used to say...... On a scale of one to ten, I'd give her one......... Hope they go the distance... :ok:

helispeediii
24th Apr 2011, 19:29
good luck to the young couple, i know there a great old bus? but when it came to the crunch william sure as hell pick a great looking partner !! pity his old bus is not quite so pretty but you do get attached to em! spose a knighthoods out of the question? and i promise not to fly down h 4 friday helispeediii

MightyGem
26th Apr 2011, 20:30
Prince William has become a Rotorhead
What's his PPrune name then?

foxmead
26th Apr 2011, 21:34
H.R.H!!!!!!;)

topendtorque
26th Apr 2011, 21:53
Good luck to them for sure, a great young couple.

this;-

Take your Nan to work day"!

we saw on a news clip recently.

One super proud grandma, it was easy to see, even from way over here.
But someone needs to tell that young fella, slow down a bit, off at a gallop and poor old nan couldn't keep up with him.

I suggest he should take her for a fly, in the other front seat of course. I think it'd be hard to tell who would enjoy it the most.

Whirlygig
26th Apr 2011, 21:58
Runour has it that HM isn't that fond of helicopters unlike her Mum, who was.

Cheers

Whirls

parabellum
26th Apr 2011, 22:46
It is true.

Princess Anne used to use them regularly though, for public duties.

bolkow
26th Apr 2011, 23:33
Perhaps if they had given her the s76 years ago instead of the two old wessex, it would hvae made her keener?
Anyway not to diverge, best wishes to both Kate and William. That bloke is as grounded as anyone could be in that position.

Flying Lawyer
27th Apr 2011, 00:03
Rumour has it that HM isn't that fond of helicopters unlike her Mum, who was.

I've heard the same rumour and took the opportunity last year to ask the DoE if it was true.

He seemed genuinely surprised and said it wasn't. When I said I'd noticed HM didn't often fly in helicopters he agreed that was true but said it was simply because of the nature of her engagements. If there was a need she was happy to do so, but there was rarely a need.
It was an informal chat at a private party, no connection with aviation. I can't think of any reason why he'd be less than frank - particularly as the Duke is famous for being blunt rather than for sugar-coated diplomacy. :)

Back to the topic -

I wish the couple a long and happy marriage.
Prince William seems to be a thoroughly decent man with many of his mother's wonderful qualities.

FL

Fareastdriver
27th Apr 2011, 18:34
IIRC the Queen did not fly in helicopters bacause ot was regarded by her minders that it was too dangerous. A Queen's Flight Whirwind spearing in did not help. Heirs to the Throne were OK as long as there was a backup. The habit was broken when she went to Northern Ireland in the seventies where a helicopter was the only secure form of transport.

Whirlygig
29th Apr 2011, 06:34
Any Rotorheads get an invite? :D

Cheers

Whirls

Freewheel
29th Apr 2011, 07:33
Whirls,

You looking for an arm to swing from?

(no, but clearly if SASless scored a card you wouldn't have to ask:E)

Whirlygig
29th Apr 2011, 08:07
Am I that transparent? :{

Cheers

Whirls

Peter-RB
29th Apr 2011, 08:33
The marraige of our future king is indeed a sight that will please many, in fact it is good to see how the Republicans amongst us are keeping very quiet at the moment, for it does seem they are well outnumbered.

I hope they have a long and fruitful marraige, blessed with many children, I support the Royals and take heart in the fact that the Cousins across the pond would mortgage their Country to have something similar..

DOMINE, SALVAM FAC REGINAM NOSTRAM, ELIZABETH; ET EXAUDI NOS IN DIE QUA INVOCAVERIMUS TE.

PeterR-B

EC145Pilot
29th Apr 2011, 10:03
I come from across the pond and I agree. Long live the Royal family, may their marriage be blessed by a few great Royal "rotorheads", be it boys or girls!
Watching it live on French TV right now even though I now live in New Caledonia!

Ec145pilot, Pierre.

Heliport
29th Apr 2011, 10:09
An unusual RAF uniform he's wearing. :rolleyes:

Senior Pilot
29th Apr 2011, 10:14
But his Dad has wings on the right part of his uniform: very old set, by the look of them!

Not a bad setup for a Sea King pilot's wedding: bit better than mine, I had to pay for it ;)

Good luck to the pair of them :ok:

Heliport
29th Apr 2011, 10:20
William is also wearing wings ......... FWIW :rolleyes:

TRC
29th Apr 2011, 10:22
... bit better than mine, I had to pay for it

Just think how much this has cost the bride's father - that's the tradition isn't it?

topendtorque
29th Apr 2011, 11:49
bloody 'ell, twenty out of ten for all of that, in pprune tradition, we noticed she was a might nervous on the way in, hard to believe it was real. Just magic - horses - everything, mrs tet thinks it the best thing she's ever seen, for sure they're the real deal, good on them and congratulations from down under.
Tet.

Great View
29th Apr 2011, 15:29
What and incredible piece of history to watch unfold!

Congratulations to Wills and Kate from Canada

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Cheers!!!
GV

zorab64
29th Apr 2011, 15:52
From what was being shown, it would appear that there were a few rotorhead colleagues in the Abbey, although I didn't notice TC among them, after his little outing on TV last night!?

It's one of those pageants that isn't done better anywhere in the world - and whether you believe the sun is powered by worldwide, or countrywide, well-wishers, those just in London, or by God, it did at least appropriately shine on them for their carriage-ride to the Palace. Good luck to them both. :ok: :ok:

Flying Lawyer
29th Apr 2011, 16:17
A splendid occasion.

I was pleased to see the RAF Sea King overhead as the happy couple drove from the Palace to Clarence House.
That made up, to some extent, for the rather curious (and IMHO disappointing) sight of a serving RAF officer getting married in an Irish Guards uniform.

birrddog
29th Apr 2011, 16:45
Flying Lawyer, word from another thread was as Duke of Cambridge he is an honorary Colonel of the Irish Guards, and that uniform is a sight better than the drab RAF blue.... though you undoubtably know all this far better than I..

Rigga
29th Apr 2011, 19:19
And well done to the Met ASU, who made noises picked up by the TV all day (it was on in the background honest) Nice to hear their presence and I know it must've been a long period of full day taskings

BillieBob
29th Apr 2011, 19:59
and that uniform is a sight better than the drab RAF blue....I too found it notable that he should forsake the uniform of the (admittedly junior) service of which he is currently an active member for something more garish to which he is entitled only because of who his grandma is.

Brilliant Stuff
29th Apr 2011, 20:14
Many happy congratulations to the happy couple! :D:D:D:D:D

Up & Away
29th Apr 2011, 20:46
congratulations to W&K
They have restored my faith in the Royals.
Sad W did not get married in Light Blue.
Was planning to become a Republican on the death of our Queen.
Long Live the Queen.

topendtorque
30th Apr 2011, 00:35
Posted this AM by OZ's most respected current affairs blogger. Says it all, of course he has style, he's a helicopter pilot and he's got the best sheila in Britian.
\
13 Comments | Permalink (http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/bond_prince_bond/)
Andrew Bolt Blog http://resources2.news.com.au/cs/network/images/third-party/blogs/images/blogassets/images_core/v2/heraldsun/icon_arrow_small.gif (http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt)

Andrew Bolt

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 06:15am

http://blogs.news.com.au/images/uploads/340558-royal-wedding-aston-martin_thumb.jpg

The man has style:
PRINCE William delighted crowds of stunned well-wishers in central London last night when he took his new bride Kate for a spin in an Aston Martin with the number plate JU5T WED on the back.
UPDATE
And the other side of this most impressive man - the prayer he and his bride wrote and which the Bishop of London read out during their wedding service:
God our Father, we thank you for our families; for the love that we share and for the joy of our marriage.
In the busyness of each day keep our eyes fixed on what is real and important in life and help us to be generous with our time and love and energy.
Strengthened by our union help us to serve and comfort those who suffer. We ask this in the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Amen.

industry insider
30th Apr 2011, 07:55
I wish them well. They will do a lot to mend the Monarchy's image which has not been that great since Diana.

Good show for a bankrupt country!

Never in Balance
30th Apr 2011, 10:32
topendtorque
Posted this AM by OZ's most respected current affairs blogger.
Andrew BoltI don't think so :ugh:

More like OZ's most respected fool.

What an amazing piece of history to witness, would have been good to see a few flybys with the Seaking!!!

30th Apr 2011, 16:08
Never in Balance - weren't you watching at 1537 BST when the Sea King flew down the Mall at 300ft with Prince Williams ensign below it???

Flying Foxhunter
30th Apr 2011, 18:54
Many congratulations to the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. I remember his grandfather the old Earl Spencer, Diana's father, what a perfect gentleman he was.

Flying Foxhunter

Sanus
30th Apr 2011, 22:03
What a terrific show yesterday. It's a cliche but made you proud to be British!

Great TV footage today of the Royal S-76 departing Buck House with the newly weds on board.

Never in Balance
1st May 2011, 00:18
Crab - I must have missed that bit. Would have been an amazing view from up there looking down at all the people.

NiB. :ok:

Bertie Thruster
1st May 2011, 06:11
Good to hear the Sqn at least got a 'mention' during the ceremony;

The Fanfare Team from the Central Band of the Royal Air Force is directed by Wing Commander Duncan Stubbs, Principal Director of Music, Royal Air Force. The fanfare Valiant and Brave, after the motto of No 22 Squadron (Search and Rescue Force), Royal Air Force, was specially composed for this service by Wing Commander Stubbs.

Hope the happy couple enjoy the OMQ's at Valley!

Heli-Ice
1st May 2011, 08:22
Well he's a helicopter pilot allright... :ok:

http://www.sport.is/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/287383348.jpg

foxmead
1st May 2011, 21:22
Wonder if that photo will be in the officers mess at Valley!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

rotorfan
2nd May 2011, 05:13
Anyone who works for a living when they don't have to has my admiration. :ok: Even more because it's not just any job, it's a meaningful, dangerous one. Best wishes and long lives for the couple.

lynxJok
2nd May 2011, 11:04
Congratulations Will & Kate!

birrddog
3rd May 2011, 00:31
A special mention needs to go out to NigelH's better half for her part in organizing and making the big day a success.

Thankfully she managed to ignore NigelH's pleas to fly the Royal Couple down the heli-lanes in his 500C and instead they took off in the Queens 76. :O

Now that you have been outed, can you share a bit about the day with the rest of us who did not get invites?

You have been uncharacteristically quiet about the whole affair! :oh:

topendtorque
3rd May 2011, 10:38
Cor Blimey, that's a real pity, hadda we known that NigelH had anything to do with it we mighta been able to organise a nice shiny R22 for the nice new couple, PW coulda flown it himself.
tet

nigelh
3rd May 2011, 10:54
Only a republican would have wanted to see that TET !! But a 500C with a Tom Selleck look alike ...that would have been something .
Great day . Loved the sound of the Lancaster and Spitfire flying over ...
And no i didnt fly the next day ....!!
Also V proud of the small team who put it all together so well . Impeccable is the one word i would use !!

Thomas coupling
3rd May 2011, 11:38
Zorab: it seems everyone else saw me except.....me :( Just as well it seems as I was...well...grumpy).
You didn't see me in the abbey, I was busy changing the number plates on the Aston ;)

birrddog
4th May 2011, 00:01
Now is it a coincidence that NigelH suggested HRH be flown by Magnum PI's pilot and "TC" was switching number plates on the Aston....?

I think we should be told...

whodictus
4th May 2011, 07:42
Going back to the uniform thing I reckon he would have been the most junior officer in the Abbey in RAF rig not the done thing for a future King of GB so the powers that be sorted it don't think it was a snub

Big congrats to them both :ok:

zorab64
5th May 2011, 00:57
Or the other clue might be that the RN uniform always looks the business, especially with the extra gold dongles for Royalty; the Army have a huge choice of smart uniforms, depending on Regiment; whereas the RAF only has a, crab-fat blue, utility tunic, with no real way of making it look good - no offence intended to those of the junior service, but you've got to admit that the tailors ran out of inspiration, somewhat, in 1918!

If you've got a choice, for a wedding being watched by billions, you're going to wear anything but RAF blue, surely? :ok:

TC - I thought I recognised your wheeler-dealing on the back of the Aston!!

blakmax
5th May 2011, 14:32
Enough,

We "convicts" down under have had this tripe stuffed down our throats for too long. Our TV was infested with this wedding for a whole bloody week before the event and they still dribble on about the dress and the honeymoon a week after the wedding.

I want to know, in the good down-under military traditiion, do we get the wedding suite videos on Skipe, a la ADFA in Australia?

A few comments:

If ever you inflict us with Queen Camilla (Camilla Bark-at-Poles) we are out of there!!!! Keep your bloody royals.

Why do we convicts need to dip our lids to the foreign toffs? Beats me.

When did the name Hapsberg-Spass or Phil's greek name drop to be come "Windsor" and then "Wales"?
Land rights for gay wales (whales?), I say.

Ok, my coat is over there. Can I get it before I have to go?

Is there an emotocon for tongue firmly pressed against cheek?

OK, so forget the coat and just run!

Regards

Blakmax

PS: 37 out of 38 of my ancestors were transported to Australia as guests of His Majesty. They were selected as ideal citizens.

dascanio
6th May 2011, 07:44
BlakMax,

The ancient Roman Pliny connects a number of sayings to the most famous Greek painter Apelles. One of these refers to his practice of exhibiting his works in the front of his shop, then hiding nearby to hear the comments of passers-by. When a cobbler commented on his mistakes in painting a shoe, Apelles made the corrections that very night; the next morning the cobbler noticed the changes, and proud of his effect on the artist's work began to criticize how Apelles portrayed the leg—whereupon Apelles emerged from his hiding-place to state: Ne sutor ultra crepidam -- "Let the shoemaker venture no further." :D

The connection of this story with this thread is clear: please stick with your microvoids, of which you are a truly expert, and let our mortals to rejoice with such simple things, as a marriage.

Dascanio

nigelh
6th May 2011, 08:56
Well done Dascanio , thats EXACTLY how i would have put it :ok:

Darren999
7th May 2011, 15:17
I just had a little chuckle to myself.. Well how do you think Kate's Dad felt when in old tradition where the Brides father pays for wedding... He hears..

Daddy, I'm going to Marry Prince William and we are getting married in Westminster Abbey, I think there will be a few people coming, is that OK.:))))
Just something that made me smile....
However, I am easily pleased....:)

Congrats to the both of them, would like to see HRH post on here!

unmanned transport
8th May 2011, 03:53

Gordy
12th May 2011, 20:37
Hmmmmm.......

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/funnies/uncanny.jpg

griffothefog
13th May 2011, 04:59
Gordy,

That's hilarious.... Those bottom two, I will keep my gob shut before I get moderated... :E

By the way, I hope he feeds her on the honeymoon, I've seen better legs hanging out of a nest....

zorab64
13th May 2011, 18:34
blackmax - in answer to your third comment, the name was changed from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor, by George V in 1917 as it was felt a more British name would improve the public image during, & subsequent to, the horrors of the First World War. Kaiser Wilhelm was the King's cousin.

Prince Philip, of Greece and Denmark, Anglicized his Battenberg name to Philip Mountbatten when he married Elizabeth in 1947.

I trust that further historical explanation is un-neccessary?

I think you'll find that most of the world had the option of wall to wall wedding coverage, but most people are developed enough to use the "Off" button if they didn't like it, & could then read a nice book in peace & quiet! :ok:

To get back to the thread, personally I wish them both well and would hope that their current peace & quiet isn't interrupted by some skanky money-grabbing hack or holiday-maker.

P.S. Did you see that Princess Beatrice is auctioning her hat, for charity, on e-bay? If it was in my house, I think I'd do the same before I put a put a burger in it by mistake! :eek:

Peter-RB
14th May 2011, 09:37
Hey Blackmax.

Your origins and rels back to the early days, may have been the right people for that period, it seems they were caught, and quite possibly the earlier model of our Flying Lawyer sent them on extended holiday.

however.....most of mine managed to outrun the Peelers and the Duty men, hence most of us are still here .

Long Live our King whoever takes that mantle!

PeterRB :ok:

Gordy
14th May 2011, 13:15
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/funnies/helipilot.jpg

SASless
14th May 2011, 13:49

Oh Mate!.....that is exactly the wrong place to do that!

Heliport
1st Jun 2011, 07:41
When I said I'd noticed HM didn't often fly in helicopters he agreed that was true but said it was simply because of the nature of her engagements. If there was a need she was happy to do so, but there was rarely a need.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TddI2wdgr2I/AAAAAAAADRM/SXdotNx-n8I/s512/xxeb%20cr%20i.jpg
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh at the Rock of Cashel,
Tipperary, Ireland 20 May 2011.

rotorrookie
1st Jun 2011, 21:10
:E:E:E:E:E