PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, Pprune.......

vulcanised
22nd Apr 2011, 19:53
The adverts haven't bothered me so I haven't bothered to block them.

Until now!

I'm fed up with waiting for pages to load because of a slow advertiser's server.

I'm even more fed up with going to click on something and having the page jump up before I get to it because the final ad. has finally arrived.

BOAC
22nd Apr 2011, 20:33
err - which adverts?

parabellum
22nd Apr 2011, 23:26
If you are using IE7 or 8 suggest you download and install IE7Pro and configure the Ad Blocker facility, you will need to disable some of the other features, like download manager and 'Quick Grab and Drag' wich are a PITA.

There is an alternative programme that works very well on FireFox, can't remember its name though.

Download IE7Pro (http://www.ie7pro.com/download.php) It is Freeware.

42psi
23rd Apr 2011, 05:55
Also have a look for the freeware "Ghostery"

Saab Dastard
23rd Apr 2011, 09:38
AdBlock Plus for firefox.

SD

FullOppositeRudder
23rd Apr 2011, 11:02

SD Thanks SD, I had never tried it because I didn't think I had a problem.

Installed it this morning - the speedup on this site especially is brilliant :ok:.

Thanks again :D

vulcanised
23rd Apr 2011, 11:42

Yes, that's what I installed, works brilliantly.

using IE7 or 8

Wouldn't dream of it, old chap.

parabellum
23rd Apr 2011, 14:17
Don't know what you are missing!

(Right now the pundits say IE8 is as good as it gets, overcome your prejudices, give it a try!).

Saab Dastard
23rd Apr 2011, 17:27
Each to their own. That's the beauty of choice!

I have IE8 at work, IE7 & 8 at home and FF 3.x. and 4.x (primary) at home also, so I have a reasonable basis for comparison. For me FF4 is better than anything else, with FF3.x and IE8 much of a muchness.

SD

Flying Serpent
23rd Apr 2011, 18:26
Let me suggest SRwares Iron browser. It's Google Chrome with all the tracking/privacy issues stripped out...

SRWare Iron - The Browser of the Future (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php)

I was a long time firefoxer....until recently

Mr Optimistic
23rd Apr 2011, 18:36
Are you sure it was the ads ? Was this yesterday evening ? The pages seemed to get very slow for about an hour even on Firefox with no ads. Just Pprune, other sites were as normal.

Edit: ah, see the thread below.

glad rag
23rd Apr 2011, 20:05
SRWare iron. WOW thats a fast one!! :D

vulcanised
24th Apr 2011, 11:40
Just given SRWareIron a quick try.

Installed it using the English option and the first page I'm presented with is in German!

Is the rest of it as good as that?

Flying Serpent
24th Apr 2011, 13:56
Hi Vulcanised,
I've just updated my Iron browser to the latest version 10.0.650.1(it doesn't auto-update which is part of their privacy policy) and like you selected English as the installation language. All seems fine here although the home page, iron-start.com, has some German ads on it. Ads can be blocked using the adblocker extension..
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

Are any of your other pages coming up in German? It's worth trying a fresh intallation of the software if so required.

Hope this helps

Serpent

green granite
24th Apr 2011, 19:03
One of my objections to Iron is there appears to be no way of setting it to clear history when you close it and it has to be done manually and the other is the apparent lack of 'check for update' button.