PDA

View Full Version : Renting a Bell-47/S-300 in Alaska?

Stuck_in_an_ATR
22nd Apr 2011, 08:04
Anyone know any good school, or other place to rent a '47, or a 300 (or any other piston, which is NOT an R-22/44) in Alaska in June/July? Planning to do some time building in the US anyway and thought this would be cool place to do so... Or is this idea not so good alltogether? :}

Cheers,

S.

Rotorgoat8
22nd Apr 2011, 14:22
Sounds like a good idea to me if you can find one. Alaska has great scenery but use caution if you go-be sure to pack survival gear as it can be very unforgiving for the careless. Wilburs Flight school used to have a couple of B-47's but that was back in the 70's. Haven't been back for 20 years.

rotorfossil
23rd Apr 2011, 07:52
Went out to Alaska a couple of years back and found it was surprisingly difficult to arrange any kind of flying. I got the impression that they have such a short season of summer weather that the emphasis is on tourist flying and training.

Rotorbee
23rd Apr 2011, 08:18
If you don't want to fly any Robinson product, you will have problems. There are by now quite a few flight schools around Anchorage and the Valley, but non with Schweizer/Hughes ships. There are only a few in Alaska anyway. It's not looking better for B47.
Finding a ship for SFH, could be a problem. Companies are very reluctant to do this in Alaska. Especially if you havn't flown there before.
Use the FAA website for finding a ship. With luck, find somebody who is willing to rent it to you. But be aware, Alaska isn't something for the casual pilot.
... and don't fly at 500ft AGL because everybody is flying at 500ft. :ok:
Much more fun at 3000.
FAA Registry - Aircraft - Make / Model Inquiry (http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/AcftRef_Inquiry.aspx)

Rotorgoat8
24th Apr 2011, 05:30
Yea! 500' is way to high-----try 100' detail is much better!!!

Stuck_in_an_ATR
24th Apr 2011, 08:26
Not that I have anything against RHC's fine products :E It's just that I have never flown them and don't fancy another 10 hrs dual before I can fly one solo... It does seem however they are the only option, so it's either '47 (my favourite flying contraption), or Alaska...

One more question - will I be allowed to carry passengers in an R22 straight after receiving the SFAR-73 training, or are there any additional insurance requirements?

Thanks for advice!

S.

Rotorbee
24th Apr 2011, 16:42
... depends on the insurance.
I would go for the Alaska experience. You can still fly the B47 when you are old. You need 5 hours for the transition to the R44, which I would take. That's plenty enough to get confortable with the ship ... and it is probably even cheaper than renting the 47.

Stuck_in_an_ATR
25th Apr 2011, 20:37
Wow, that's exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks!!!