PDA

View Full Version : Holding both licenses Rotary and fixed wing

Clintonb
21st Apr 2011, 08:55
Im going over to the states now to do my fixed wing license all the way up to CPL with 200 hrs ME with instructors rating with TT 259.
So right now i plan on working my way up in fixed wing gain experience and hrs instructing and later on get a helicopter CPL on top of that with maybe an instructors rating.

I'm think later on and hope to try find a company that uses fixed wing and rotary so fly fixed wing for them as i have the experience and hrs by then i hope but instruct in helicopters to build hours and at the same time keep my licenses current. so once i have enough hours in helicopters from instructing i can fly helicopters also for the company if theres space doing charters or what ever other field they do oil rigs or maybe stick to instructing over the weekends.

Another is with the hrs in fixed wing. fly for an airline 737 which i would also like to achieve and I've heard of airline pilots that have both licenses they fly for an airline thats their career and over the weekends or their days off they instruct or do charters in helicopters which keeps them flying on their off days but I'm sure that is hard to have or find a helicopter company that will take you on and really rely on you that you will be at the school the next weekend to do a charter or instruct a student and not be called to fill in for another pilot by the airlines.

So how did you do it if i may ask??? I'm trying to find out from others how they did it and keep both licenses current. i love the challenges that flying gives you even when flying both types of aircraft and of course the reward in the end to fly.

Also is it true about flying hrs if you have 2hrs fixed wing you can take 1 hr for helicopter??? so if lets say i get 2000hrs in a fixed wing could 1000hrs go towards helicopters? how could that be possible because then with 1000 hrs put on to helicopter i would have enough hours to be hired for a helicopter job but i haven't really flown 1000 hrs in a helicopter, so wouldn't have the PIC,night hrs, etc

Thanks for your time, look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.
Have a great weekend.

Clintonb

Whirlygig
21st Apr 2011, 09:41
Oh no ... not duplicate threads!

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/449377-holding-both-licenses-rotary-fixed-wing.html#post6403908

Cheers

Whirls

Epiphany
21st Apr 2011, 10:36
Well done Whirls. That is one breathless, hyperactive young person. I can never think more than a month ahead at best. What are your retirement plans Clinton?

Bravo73
21st Apr 2011, 10:53
Clintonb, meet the search function. Search function... hang on a second, haven't we been here before? :confused:

misterbonkers
21st Apr 2011, 11:07
Yes Bravo73 - we have - you like to point out the same thing in the same sarcastic manner every time - BORING! :ugh:

all_mod_cons
21st Apr 2011, 12:00
Kiss and make up, it's been a long time.:D

cTcPilot
21st Apr 2011, 15:56
Can you actually afford all of that training ?

You are thinking way to far ahead.

Concentrate on your next hours flying, make it a good hour, enjoy that hour and learn from that hour, challenge yourself.
Before you know it, its 10 years later and you have too many hours....!

Ask yourself why, really think deep into your heart, what do you want ?

My advice, work as a fixed wing pilot, if your really not happy on your day's off, then do a PPL (H) !
Goodluck,
1 step at a time.
I know too many young lads that make a massive plan, I meet them a year or 2 later and they are still on the PPL :ugh:

Just fly, dont think about the hours, the hoops, let it all happen naturaly. You will enjoy life better this way, trust me.
Only worry about your next flight always !

paco
21st Apr 2011, 16:43
One thing that's often forgotten with being AC/DC is that it takes you twice as long to get "employable" hours - you have to do it on both types. You've got enough of a bridge to cross from licence to hours with one type, let alone two.

But good luck if you can do it. Flying both is indeed a reqarding challenge. But as ctc says, slow down. Hustle, yes, but don't rush.

Phil

P1DRIVER
23rd Apr 2011, 07:27
Also is it true about flying hrs if you have 2hrs fixed wing you can take 1 hr for helicopter??? so if lets say i get 2000hrs in a fixed wing could 1000hrs go towards helicopters? how could that be possible because then with 1000 hrs put on to helicopter i would have enough hours to be hired for a helicopter job but i haven't really flown 1000 hrs in a helicopter, so wouldn't have the PIC,night hrs, etc

Of course !!!! Depending where you do the flying you could also get 0.5 hrs for the space shuttle !!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: