PDA

View Full Version : Brize/Lyneham crew, any thoughts on the area ?

fade to grey
20th Apr 2011, 12:03
Hi,
I am currently considering a move to either Swindon/wooton bassett or lechlade areas.

As always we have to consider the environment/schools etc and to that end I wondered if any of you RAF bods had any thoughts on the areas above.

we have relatives in Swindon (haydon end) and the schools look ok there but I'm not convinced about moving to such a big 'ghetto' being a country lad.

Any input appreciated.

MG
20th Apr 2011, 15:41
I live in the area and you don't have to go far to find some lovely villages and some really good pubs. Avoid Swindon if you're a country lad and you'll be happy just about anywhere. Can't answer for schools but a search of Ofsted should sort you out. From what I hear, Faringdon is becoming an extension of the Brize married patch and I think it's a little run-down to be really nice, but that's just my opinion.

BEagle
20th Apr 2011, 15:54
...you don't have to go far to find some lovely villages...

Unfortunately, this cannot really be said of Carterton. As someone once wrote, 'Trying to improve Carterton is a bit like trying to protect the virtue of Joan Collins. A laudable idea, but about 50 years too late!'

(Sorry, Norm, old chum - I know you're doing your very best, your worshipful!)

Type1106
20th Apr 2011, 16:03
Think the expression "You can't polish a turd..." covers it!

fade to grey
20th Apr 2011, 16:26
Better rule out carterton then, also someone seems to have plonked a big airbase right next to it.

Lyneham Lad
20th Apr 2011, 16:36
When posted to Lyneham, our researches led us to opt to buy a house in Wootton Bassett (soon to be Royal Wootton Bassett...) mainly because of the excellent reputation of the Lime Kiln secondary school (http://www.woottonbassett.wilts.sch.uk/Pages/default.aspx). Mind you, that was over twenty years ago! :eek: The current school is of modern construction in pleasant surroundings.

Lots of information on other Wiltshire schools here (http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/schoolseducationandlearning/schoolsandcolleges.htm).

Grabbers
20th Apr 2011, 19:21
Unless you must be near to RAF Brize Norton I would steer well clear of Carterton. Not only would, as others have commented upon, a nuclear explosion only bring about significant improvements, the A40 between Witney and Oxford is almost constantly backed up. Lots of nice villages between Swindon and Lechlade, although staying off the main roads would be IMHO a wise move as traffic can be heavy. Depends on what you value most. Good luck.

Cornerstone958
20th Apr 2011, 20:12
Try Purton & Purton Stoke nice areas no idea about the Schools though.
CS

blagger
20th Apr 2011, 21:01
A lot of people like to be snotty about Carterton but the eyesore housing is all the MODs lack of investment over the years, yet it has good facilities, the council do a great job and the locals are far more friendly and pro-RAF than many places. If you want a buy to rent Carterton is the place right now.

diginagain
20th Apr 2011, 21:25
Think the expression "You can't polish a turd..." covers it!

To complete the quote ".........but you can roll it in glitter."

D-IFF_ident
20th Apr 2011, 22:40
To get an idea of Carterton I would rent 'Black Hawk down', except there are less helicopters. Beauty all around though.

fergineer
21st Apr 2011, 09:52
Purton is a much better place since I left !!!!!! The school Braden Forest is also good.

sled dog
21st Apr 2011, 11:07
I once lived on the outskirts of Cirencester. Nice town then but has probably changed over 30 years. Would recommend the Black Horse pub, if it is still there.

Exascot
21st Apr 2011, 11:23
I did three tours at Brize living in Ramsden 6 miles North. Delightful village. Not on the flight path. Great pub: The Royal Oak - Home Page (http://www.royaloakramsden.com/php/index.php)

Brian 48nav
21st Apr 2011, 12:56
Assuming you are not retired you haven't mentioned place of work. Are you in the airline business,maybe LHR based? Commuting and the cost of fuel will be a big factor.

We lived in the Cirencester/Malmesbury area from '69 to '80 and lots of my old Herc mates are still around there.

Swindon was a dump then and an even bigger one now.

Cricklade is ok but I should imagine blighted by the noise of the M4/M5 link road, as are the villages near it ie Cerney Wick,Down Ampney etc.

Cirencester used to be a great country town but I fear it has lost it's character since the M4/5 link attracted Royals,celebs etc to the area.

Fairford was a great small town, haven't been there for years so can't help now.

Malmesbury could be the best bet - a great little town with all the normal facilities and probably just over an hour and a half to LHR.

As with the rest of the country the nicest villages will be the most expensive,

Happy hunting!

sharpend
21st Apr 2011, 17:21
I live in a little village close to Lechlade. The school is first class, the pub has won an award. Email me on [email protected] if you want more.

Scribbly
21st Apr 2011, 19:48
I live in the 'ghetto' of N Swindon and it's fine. It is very easy to get to BZN (30 ish mins) and Shrivenham (10 mins), and I did High Wyc daily for a couple of years too, the M5 is 45 mins to the north, and the M4 is 10 mins to the south. Countryside is 5 mins to the north, and there are a surprising number of big green spaces within the area, look at Moulden Park and Shaw Park. There are lots of cycle paths to take you right into town if you like, or just to pootle around the ghetto.
You get a lot of house for a relative small amount of money, and there is lots and lots of choice. It's true, if you were brought up in the countryside (as I was) it is a bit of a shock, but it is very easy to live here and the neighbours are nice!
PM if you want to come and have a look.
S

fade to grey
22nd Apr 2011, 07:40
Thanks for all the input folks,
I currently work from LHR/LGW although location isn't vital as it is not a drive to the airport daily scenario.

So for the smaller places it seems I should be looking at lechlade/malmesbury/cirencester directions. I'll check out the ofsteds as well.

Swindon is mainly the wife's preference as her sister is there .Scribbly I have been to those green areas you describe as my sister-in -law lives in Haydon Wick. I don't have a major downer on swindon as there is, as you say, plenty of choice and it's cheap but as I have found before there must be a reason for that.

Personally a quiet village with a pub would suit me, but as I have two kids of 4/8 yrs I guess I need somewhere with something more.

D-IFF love the portrayal of carterton as mogadishu - might give it a miss !

airborne_artist
22nd Apr 2011, 10:14
F2G - you have an eight year-old. In three years time he/she will be at secondary school.

Unless you will be paying school fees you and Mrs F2G will spend the better part of six months in two years sweating that the little darling has got into the right school, so you could work backwards from the better secondary schools and find their catchment areas and then a town/village within those areas. If Mrs F2G also works then you want to live fairly close to the school, perhaps?

Trust me - you really don't want to move into the house of your dreams and then discover that it was cheap because the local schools are useless.

If you are into school fees then part of the same argument applies, except that you don't want a 15 mile journey (30 mile round trip, or 1:30 in the car) every morning and afternoon for the next fourteen years.

By remarkable fortune all my three daughters (23, 19 and 17) went by train to the only girls' comprehensive (http://www.didcotgirls.oxon.sch.uk/) in the south of England. It's not far from the secret Oxonian heli-base (but not in the catchment area). Eldest graduated from Liverpool last year with a 2.1, next one is in her first year at Bristol.

Severance
22nd Apr 2011, 12:43
Just my thoughts on the schools that I know about. Wootton Bassett secondary is outstanding and is in the top few percentile. Malmesbury school is modelled on Wootton Bassett School, or the other way around...the result is the same. I live in Malmesbury for a while and found it to be a great place.
I agree with the above sentiments; find the school and work from there.

Sev

lj101
22nd Apr 2011, 13:35
FTG

Good link to best schools in Gloucestershire

Primary schools, Secondary schools and Nurseries in Gloucestershire LEA Ofsted inspection search (http://www.findmyschool.co.uk/results.aspx?lea=Gloucestershire)

Lyneham Lad
22nd Apr 2011, 21:18
Carterton may be Mogadishu II but Swindon has the edge when it comes to education. :eek:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5261/5591713207_74845c6e3c_b.jpg