PDA

View Full Version : ATC Language?

FlyingKiiwii
20th Apr 2011, 07:27
Hey Guys,
Just a quick question about the ATC in South/Central America, listening to the feeds from Bogota Tower, I hear only Spanish, I am just curious as to Spanish being a requirement to fly there, or like the rest of the world, the ability to speak English exists in the tower there too?
Cheers :ok:
Kiiwii

Glonass
20th Apr 2011, 15:52
Don't quote me, but it is my understanding that every major airport in South America provide ATS in English, in addition to the local language.

In Chile, it's fairly simple: Airports intended for international operations provide ATS in Spanish & English. Those airports are:

SCAR
SCDA
SCFA
SCEL
SCIP
SCIE
SCTE
SCCI

I bet you can check with the CAA of the specific country to obtain the information but I guess it follows the same logic.

FlyingKiiwii
21st Apr 2011, 03:57
Thanks for the info, it was sort of how I expected, it just makes me curious as to how one would go about working for a regional there then hmmm...will look into it some more...

Panama Jack
21st Apr 2011, 14:15
I will try to answer your question, FlyingKiiwii.

It is unlikely that you will be able to get a job in Spanish or Portuguese-speaking Latin America unless you:

1) Speak the local language fluently; and
2) Have citizenship or a large amount of time on type.

FlyingKiiwii
21st Apr 2011, 21:49
Thanks PJ,
I am considering taking a year off flying to teach English in South America, which will give me plenty of time to polish off my Spanish hopefully, as well as a chance to try and get some contacts in the industry.
Happy flying,
Kiiwii