PDA

View Full Version : UK serials

mikip
19th Apr 2011, 07:06
Now we are well into the ZZ series of serials, up to ZZ666 being allocated, what range will come after ZZ999?

Farfrompuken
19th Apr 2011, 07:16
That will have to be the end of British military aviation.

Not too many years away then.

Pontius Navigator
19th Apr 2011, 07:16
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

hat coat gloves

dakkg651
19th Apr 2011, 07:19
Unless the ATC replaces it's Vigilants and Vikings I think that the remaining 334 serials will last until the armed services cease to exist altogether.

Tallsar
19th Apr 2011, 08:00
Practicalities aside.....we could always waste many £Bns on new ac projects that we allocate airframe serials to, and then scrap them before they enter service....Mmmmm we seem well practiced at that...something we do well.....That would soon eat into those remaining serials available...then take at least 10 years while the whole of the DE&S forms a committee (inclusion being all these days - and they do need a major project to keep their spirits up) to
decide what will replace the present system....I think a wedge of circa £1Bn should cover that activity..has someone sorted it for PR11? :ugh::):)

Jumping_Jack
19th Apr 2011, 08:05
How disappointing....I was all set for an engaging discussion on the relative merits of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes or porridge.....tail numbers? Jeez. :rolleyes:

izod tester
19th Apr 2011, 08:44
Since the serials started with a single letter followed by 4 numerals prior to 2 letters followed by 3 numerals, the logical follow on from ZZ999 would be AAA01.

RedhillPhil
19th Apr 2011, 08:50
I rather suspect that it'll be AAA100 - in Chinese characters!

philrigger
19th Apr 2011, 10:22
;)

I think the first serials did not have letters at all.

I know - what an anorak!

Valiantone
19th Apr 2011, 12:40
UOR serial allocation requirements aside, where have all the unallocated ZM, ZN, ZP, ZR, ZS, ZT and so on serials disappeared to.....:E

V1

philrigger
19th Apr 2011, 13:03
;)

The serials ZM135 to ZM200 are allocated to the Lockheed Lightning II (F35) and ZM400 to ZM424 have been allocated to the Airbus Atlas (A400M).

[EMAIL="http://www.ukserials.com[/EMAIL]

See the site above for more info.

... the U.K. is currently using a system of 2 letters followed by 3 digits that began in 1940 with AA100. Certain letters are generally not used as they look too similar to others, and some letter combinations are not used for a variety of reasons. The numeric part of the serial was traditionally between 100 and 999, but in recent years they have started at 001 in order to get more use out of the current system. "Blackout Blocks" were incorporated into all serial batches in order to disguise the true quantities of aircraft ordered or in service, but this practice has now ceased, however serial numbers are being allocated to even more simulators, again this is to allow maintenance records on these high-tech training devices to be kept up-to-date.

bobward
19th Apr 2011, 15:12
As it seems that most of the RAF's new aircraft will come from public-private finance deals surely they should all wear G-**** registrations and not UK serial numbers?
:8

Ducks behind desk to avoid incoming rants from....just about everyone:E:E:p

Sir George Cayley
19th Apr 2011, 21:54
B- ?

N - ?

EUR - ?

or how about Wingdings?

So long as young persons of a male persuasion suffering from OCD are happy it's OK. But enough of the MOD.

Sir George Cayley

Lima Juliet
20th Apr 2011, 00:26
If it has to be G reg, how about G-ONKY for the new airbus A330? G-SPOT for the new A400 and G-PANT or G-LOCK for the Typhoon?
:}

WE992
20th Apr 2011, 20:24
I wanted G-SPOT for my aeroplane only to find that it had already been issued to a P68. I guess it must have been the only aircraft that nobody could ever find!

XR219
20th Apr 2011, 20:55
Anybody know if there's any rhyme or reason for some recent procurements being issued ZZ-range serials (also ZM and ZR) before ZK was exhausted? Can't fathom it myself.

The B Word
20th Apr 2011, 21:58
Because they were bored and thought no-one would give a sh!t and notice?

Just a thought...