PDA

View Full Version : Those wretched CX clamshell economy seats

HKPAX
18th Apr 2011, 03:52
May I use this thread for a jolly good old grumble about the seats that ram your knees into the one in front. Yet again a furrin airline wins my business for a trip to Europe because I cannot abide the clamshells, even though this keeps me stuck on a lowly green card and may actually cost me more money. Hopefully TT's successor reads this forum to keep his finger on the pulse. (1) Bring back proper seats (2) Disable recline mechanism on short-haul flights (3) Work out sensible rules for when pax may recline (4) Watch revenue from HKPAX and family go up.

C172Driver
18th Apr 2011, 04:17
They are already working on a replacement long haul economy seat.

boocs
18th Apr 2011, 07:06
Are the new Economy seats on any of the new a/c with new Bus. seats or are they coming at a later date? Thx.

b.

sinkingship
18th Apr 2011, 11:25
Premium EY also coming soon.......

HKPAX
18th Apr 2011, 13:14
BTW I tried out the new business class seats at the Aviation Expo a few weeks ago, and was very impressed. At least when compared to the insular coffins. Two people together can at least look at each other....

broadband circuit
19th Apr 2011, 02:44
Two people together can at least look at each other....

I need to stop traveling with my wife.

HKPAX
30th Nov 2011, 07:28
When we travel "together" she goes business class and I buy a ticket down the back. Going out, I sit at the back and she sends me a glass of BC champagne served with a smile ("but not too much of one"). On way back, Asian values take over, and I take her seat and watch movies and get taken off champagne service after finishing off the first bottle. My motto: "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy".

Sp0r3
30th Nov 2011, 14:59
Actually I enjoyed my 12 hour flight in the new clam shell seats... but that was only because I was able to occupy the seat next to me on the half full 744. There is something weird about that headrest though... Feels more like a neck restraint than a headrest.

1a sound asleep
9th Dec 2011, 11:58
I had to sit in those clamshell economy seats to FCO the other week. How in hell did they approve these???? I cancelled my return and came home via LHR

HKPAX
9th Dec 2011, 12:07
So maybe CX now realise the magnitude of their problem. Dunno if they can advertise a way out of that.

Al E. Vator
10th Dec 2011, 02:21
The worst seats ever invented by humanity.

They don't recline they slip a bit. If you didn't have a back problem before you would at the end of a flight. How could anybody be so stupid as to allow that to get to market?

HKPAX
10th Dec 2011, 07:15
They were personally tested by the ex CEO who did the same for the new Business Class seats (since replaced) and has since been replaced himself having been packed off to head up IATA. Hope they don't ask him for advice on seating!!!

ChrisJ800
10th Dec 2011, 07:39
How long have they had those horrible seats? I flew CX a year or two back, but never again, till they change the seats. I even got to fill in an inflight survey, so CX got my feedback alright!

spannersatcx
10th Dec 2011, 07:47
They are in the process of being replaced. :ok:

The Wraith
10th Dec 2011, 08:51
Spanner,
Are they replacing ALL of them or are they only replacing the seats that are being upgraded to Premium Economy?

4 driver
12th Dec 2011, 01:17
AA's new 737's has a similar "sliding seat". I'm not sure what the reason is for this poor design. Perhaps they can reduce leg room/pitch with these seats.

HKPAX
12th Dec 2011, 01:27
Cutting dead weight in cabin??

nitpicker330
12th Dec 2011, 07:08
CX 12Dec press release re new Seats here:

Cathay Pacific - About Us : Media Centre (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/aboutus/pressroomdetails?refID=48fb9689c0134310VgnVCM1000000ad21c39)

ReverseFlight
14th Dec 2011, 15:17
The new seats would be a refreshing change.

I recently flew on one of their Cheapo-7s and its interior trim was so old and grubby it was disgusting. It still has the small LCD screens and my set was actually u/s. It felt like I was sitting in the cargo hold. :yuk: