PDA

View Full Version : World Airways (USA) "Home Based"

flysd
17th Apr 2011, 06:05
Anyone knows if "home based" means I have to live in USA. Or, in theory, could I live anywhere in the world?
Thanks

WrldWide
17th Apr 2011, 17:41
the requirement is to maintain an airport of record within conus. However, flight ops, at their discretion, can allow you to commute from where ever you happen to live. We have a guy that lives in the Phillipines and one in South Africa, one in Germany, and maybe others.

flysd
17th Apr 2011, 23:38
Wrldwide, thank you very much for your response.
I would be interested in living in South America, if they allow me.
Would you mind sharing some info about the life as a pilot over World? typical trip duration, block of days off, bidding, black of days off when on vacation, travel benefits for you and direct family, etc.
Thanks!

WrldWide
18th Apr 2011, 23:46
Wrldwide, thank you very much for your response.
I would be interested in living in South America, if they allow me.
Would you mind sharing some info about the life as a pilot over World? typical trip duration, block of days off, bidding, black of days off when on vacation, travel benefits for you and direct family, etc.
Thanks!

Typical trip duration is 14-18 days, some split trips.
Block days off min 12 days up to 16 days based on seniority and what you bid.
Vacation, by the time you get what you want you can make it work for you.
Travel benefits: they are minimal. We are not a scheduled carrier so have very little to trade with other carriers.

flysd
21st Apr 2011, 01:23
Thanks for the Info, Wrldwide!

Fish Head on Final
21st Apr 2011, 15:03
Wrldwide You got PM :ok:

lowflying pilot
5th May 2011, 10:14
Hi everyone,

planning on moving back home after flying too many years in the Middle East. Can anyone tell me what a average bring home check might be? I understand 65hrs guarantee but what are the actual hrs on average with flight pay / per diem? any info would be greatly appreciated.

WorldDC10
8th May 2011, 00:22
The payscale at Airline Pilot Central - World | Charter (http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/charter/world.html) is accurate (ignore the DC10 - we have retired them now).

When I first started here a Captain told me that you could plan on taking your hourly rate and multiplying it by 1000 to get your annual total compensation. That has proved to be remarkably accurate for the last 4 years.

My per diem came to just under $10000 last year (calculated at $2.40 per hour away from your home). - so I guess I averaged about 14.5 days at work per month last year.

As to what you take home that depends on you - how much to your 401k (Roth available) etc. Take the gross numbers and run your own taxes on it.
For new hire planning you do get $1200 per month until qualified although you get full per diem ($57.60 tax free per day).

We are apparently hiring a total of around 60 (which is more than 10% of the current list) into both the MD11 and 744, and we badly need them all!

Hope this helps.

PS for the guy that asked about South America we do have at least one pilot living in Central America who commutes to a hub airport which is his "paper" home base.

We are also 2 years in to contract negotiations so hopefully a raise isn't too far away!

flysd
8th May 2011, 04:24
Thanks WorldDC10,

Regarding the pilot from South America, Is the hub/paper home base the airport in the country where he/she lives? In other words, Is he/she home based at his/her country?

WorldDC10
8th May 2011, 13:55
No , I should have been clearer. He jumpseats to Houston which is his "paper" base and the company buys him tickets from there.

WrldWide
8th May 2011, 14:19
Some of the pilots, not the S America guy I guess, fly straight from home, outside the US. The HOU jumpseater is the first I have heard of JS to airport of record to then get to work. I suppose each case is different.

flysd
8th May 2011, 15:46
Thank you both!

BandAide
11th May 2011, 01:35
Travel benefits: they are minimal. We are not a scheduled carrier so have very little to trade with other carriers.

You don't have to trade anything, Wrldwide. All professional pilots are fellow travellers. If your airline is on the list for the jumpseat and we can accommodate you, you are welcome.

I started at Emery, flew for Kalitta, flew Lear 35s while furloughed, and ended up at Delta. In other words, I've paid dues and eventually got where I wanted to be.

When a freight dog shows up at the flight deck door I take it as an honor bound duty to make him feel as comfortable, welcome, respected, and entitled to first class treatment as I possibly can. I think the overwhelming majority of pilots I work with feel the same way.

We know you can't trade jumpseats but it's not about quid pro quo, but more about helping our brothers.

four engine jock
11th May 2011, 09:22
BandAide... I wish there were more guys like you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We aslo do the same. Never leave a fellow pilot behind!!!!!

MarkerInbound
14th May 2011, 00:19
BandAide,

Flysd was asking about family travel benefits too which are just about nill in the cargo world. I do appreciate the jumpseat, luckily I'm at place where it is the company's problem to get me to and from the plane.

chimichanga
29th May 2011, 19:49
Hi,

I am typed in the 744. Does anybody working at World have any tips on how to apply?