PDA

View Full Version : Servisair Kinetic training?

Belfastgirl
16th Apr 2011, 09:44
i just got a phone call about starting my training on monday morning and that it was going to involve kinetic training? I was just wondering if anyone knew what this was because i have absolutely no idea?!lol x oh and also that i have to wear trousers because i'll be bending down a lot lol!!

groundhogbhx
16th Apr 2011, 12:16
Manual handling, learning to lift and move things without hurting yourself or over stressing your back. Those bags can be heavy and if you don't learn to move them properly you can do a lot of damage. You would be amazed at how many bad habits you have picked up over the years.

Belfastgirl
16th Apr 2011, 12:36
Thats brilliant thanks :) although me lifting something heavy in general may be difficult i went backpacking across america last summer and had trouble lifting my own backpack but im sure i'll get there in the end :)

groundhogbhx
16th Apr 2011, 14:09
It's not the weight, it's the technique. You can do plenty of damage even with a light weight if you do it wrong. I know someone who prolapsed a disk changing their duvet. On check-in you will be tagging bags which means moving the bag around on the belt, rather than out right lifting, to get it in the right position, doing it the wrong way can quickly lead to problems :uhoh:

British Grenadier
16th Apr 2011, 18:59
Perhaps there using an XBOX ???? sorry couldn't resist it ;);)

Belfastgirl
16th Apr 2011, 19:02
that would be awesome!it would be the best work training i would have been to lol!!:)

groundhogbhx
16th Apr 2011, 21:23
One final tip, don't wear tight fitting trousers. If you do everyone standing behind you will know the answer to 'is she or isn't she':ok: Manual handling is always one of my favourite modules to observe:)

Belfastgirl
17th Apr 2011, 18:58
oh my god, the trousers i have are quite tight but im gunna wear a long shirt just to cover myself.....(see what i did there) no....lol :ok:

kazzie
17th Apr 2011, 22:56
Good luck for tomorrow and Enjoy! :)

Belfastgirl
18th Apr 2011, 18:09
ohmy god kazzie please tell me it gets better! today was a bit of a nightmare to be honest, the training was just a nightmare, but its more pax focused training on wednesday so i guess that might help but im kind of despairing about it all now lol!!

kazzie
18th Apr 2011, 19:46
Yes it get's better..

First few days can be a heavy load especially if you have never worked in an airport before.. All the mandatory Fire training, health and Safety is quite mind numbing! (Trust me, I have been through it 3-4 times :bored:)

Once you get past the mandatory stuff and get on to the more PAX, Airline product and systems training you will perk up a bit!

There is only so much you can pick up in the classroom, you will pick it up and enjoy it more once online. just don't worry to much, Once you start shadowing and doing it for yourself it will become a lot more easier.. :)

One bit of advice I will give you though.. Dangerous Goods training (DGR's) drink plenty of Coffee.. :ok:

Belfastgirl
18th Apr 2011, 19:57
Thanks :) i feel a but more positive now, today we were in with pax and ops guys that were dispatchers and baggage handlers and stuff so i think it was just a general induction to everyone!ive got a test on wednesday tho on the 24hour clock and airport abbreviations so that should be fun :bored: but thanks for the support :)

kazzie
18th Apr 2011, 20:00
Ah introductions will comprise of all departments as its mandatory for everyone to go through the same training.

And another bit of advise... Don't worry to much about the tests. They are really not difficult, Just make plenty of notes :ok:

So what did you go through today?

groundhogbhx
19th Apr 2011, 14:54
It always seems a lot harder when you can't relate what you are doing in the class room to your previous experiences. What might seem mind bending and impossible to grasp during training will quickly fit in to place once you start using it for real.

Best way to look at it is like learning to drive, the first time you get in the car and start driving there seems a lot to take in but once you get the hang of it you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Belfastgirl
19th Apr 2011, 16:23
kazzie, it was mostly just AAA training, customer service, stuff about FOD, labelling areas on the apron around the plane and general terminology. I am in again tomorrow from 12-8 so hopefully that will be more focused to what PAX actually do :)

Belfastgirl
19th Apr 2011, 16:24
Thanks groundhogbhx, that is really good advice, i think im just a bit impatient i just want to be out and doing the job because the bits that the trainer was talking about in relation to PAX seemed really interesting and challenging i just think im going to have to bide my time :)

Belfastgirl
19th Apr 2011, 16:26
oh, and kazzie see in the test that you get do you need to know all the abbreviations for the airports the phonetic alphabet and aviation terminology because i am in the middle of trying to write my final year law dissertation and if i could do without trying to learn all those now would be a massive relief lol?!

dublindispatch
19th Apr 2011, 17:39
I think you are in worry overload!! Remember even when you are at a flight you are never alone, always some one to ask never presume!! We all started at the same stage as you and I hope that you would get all the help and encouragement you need. I remember being told that you can always leave Servisair but Servisair will never leave you alone!!

Belfastgirl
19th Apr 2011, 18:04
yeah without a doubt, i just don't want to fail this test that we are going to be given tomorrow, im so busy with other stuff at the minute its all a bit crazy but i am a notorious worrier lol!!

750XL
19th Apr 2011, 18:07
You don't need to know all the airport codes or abbreviations, I don't think there's anyone that would know them all!

There's a few simple abbreviations you'll need to learn but you'll pick them up very quickly in the work environment when everyone around you is using them.

Just try to enjoy the training (not easy, I know) and you'll pick up everything once you get out there doing the job. When I first started at dispatch I had all my initial training then had to wait 2-3 weeks for my references etc to get my pass before I started shadowing etc, in which time I'd forgotten virtually everything I'd been taught. As others have said, you start learning once you get out there :ok:

Belfastgirl
19th Apr 2011, 18:47
750XL im not actually doing dispatch im a passenger service agent for servisair but i kinda just wana do the best i can at everything because i know it is only a temporary contract over the summer but if there was a permanent position coming up then i could be considered for it!!:) but thanks for the advice, im in my final year at law and im trying to fit in all this training around that so i am super stressy at the minute anyway lol!

750XL
19th Apr 2011, 20:48
750XL im not actually doing dispatch im a passenger service agent for servisair but i kinda just wana do the best i can at everything because i know it is only a temporary contract over the summer but if there was a permanent position coming up then i could be considered for it!!:) but thanks for the advice, im in my final year at law and im trying to fit in all this training around that so i am super stressy at the minute anyway lol!

I know, but the basics of dispatch training is pretty similar to PSA's. Ramp safety, computer systems etc. Essentially for both jobs you'll pick up the skills required when you are out there shadowing

Bigbluebroxi
21st Apr 2011, 22:55
If you are managaing to do a law degree then being a check in agent wil be a piece of cake for you.

Stop worrying about it.

Its not a stressful job unless you make it one for yourself.

I see people get in a panic every day and then have to go and sort out their mistakes.

Remember ultimately all you are doing is getting people on a plane. The place would run a lot smoother if everybody remembered that and realised its not something to get stressed about and start panicing over, thats when mistakes get made.

Safety of yourself, the aircraft and the passengers is the most important thing. Dont ever compromise, or allow anybody to pressure you to compromise this, in favour of on time departures.

Keep calm and mistakes will be less likely to be made. I made one myself today because people were wittering in my ear and getting in a flap about bags and people not turning up and this that and the other and sent a pretty important telex incorrectly. I checked it out and resent it so it was no problem, but thats just an example of how easy it is to cause a mistake when people get in a flap.

Dont worry about your tests. Servisair have a pretty poor policy of nobody will fail them, so you'll get multiple attempts at it and pointed towards the answers anyway until you get them correct.

Take whatever training is being offered, take as much OT as you can do and always be on time and you'll be in a good position to be kept on i reckon.

kazzie
22nd Apr 2011, 08:08
Tut tut! := ;)

Belfastgirl
23rd Apr 2011, 11:44
r u tut tut'ing kazzie? lol

Bigbluebroxi
23rd Apr 2011, 19:58
shes got a cheek!